Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Kane Lambert

Votes: 41 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are gonna post f*** off to the idea of Balta in the ruck you at least need to post an alternative.
Chol?

But seriously, for all the hate, Chol had 7 disposals and 1 mark vs JR with 6 disposals and 2 marks. It wasn't a great night for our guys taking marks up forward. Chol really wasn't as far off as people are making out, and will be much more dangerous with Lynch back where he becomes 3rd tall.

Ultimately, we need to get Nank thru 3 more games without breaking him, and I'm not sure a 195cm debutant is the solution to give him a chop out.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spot on ,absolutely no chance Balta goes into the ruck .
There's not one team that takes their KPD and plays them as the backup ruck .It's the craziest idea I've heard.
Do you think it's a coincidence that Balta finally became a consistent AFL footballer once they stopped moving him around? You can't keep moving a young KPP all over the ground and expect him to develop cohesively. He also said it his most recent interview that it was driving him crazy and he couldn't settle into AFL.

Also, since moving to defence he TOG% is 95-100% every game. When he was in the ruck he was only playing 50-60% TOG as he doesn't have a tank to get to contests all over the ground.

So would you rather having Noah pinch hitting in the ruck and then sitting on the pine or get games into him for our KPD for the next 10 years? Astbury and Grimes aren't getting any younger and Noah will have 70-100 games by the time they retire if we keep him in defence.

Can't rob Peter to pay Paul.

I'm not going to comment on Chol until I see the team tomorrow but one thing I do know is he is more useful pinch hitting off the bench rather than a Lynch replacement.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cotcho, I appreciate that you took time to consider your answer and reply in full respectfully. Yes it is an emotional issue for me for obvious reasons. I'm not going to debate it with you any further except to say that the jury on Long's tribunal last night stated that they were shocked McCrae was able to get up and continue and they found that it was indeed worth a week. Clearly these kinds of acts are being rubbed out of the game.

I meant no offence saying you needed to educate yourself, I merely meant that it's pretty obvious that this kind of action, where the head is hit, whether targeted or not is being rubbed out in contact sports around the world.

Clearly we couldn't have contact sports at all if accidental head hits are rubbed out altogether. What should be rubbed out are acts like Longs which are seemingly intended to cause injury, otherwise why else didn't he simply tackle ?

All sports people have a duty of care to their opponents. This is contact, team sports, not MMA or boxing. Bumping is fine as long as you don't get someone in the head. We all know that now.

If you punch someone in the head on the street, or run into them with your shoulder and smash them in the face, that's assault.

In AFL there's no protection. No helmets. The head is sacrosanct and so it should be. My brother is testament to that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers and go Tigers.

Well said mate, all good. All the best to your brother as well.

Play a smaller mobile ruckman & drop Chol until he learns how to compete like he needs to. Lessen the amount of stoppages throughout the quarters by playing a run & gun style of game & letting Nank hunt the contests that he can get to without running himself into the ground. When there is a ball up & we have a smaller ruckman, keep it simple & stand goal side, arm on your opponent & let Nank work his way up to the next contest at leisure!

Cotcho, I appreciate that you took time to consider your answer and reply in full respectfully. Yes it is an emotional issue for me for obvious reasons. I'm not going to debate it with you any further except to say that the jury on Long's tribunal last night stated that they were shocked McCrae was able to get up and continue and they found that it was indeed worth a week. Clearly these kinds of acts are being rubbed out of the game.

I meant no offence saying you needed to educate yourself, I merely meant that it's pretty obvious that this kind of action, where the head is hit, whether targeted or not is being rubbed out in contact sports around the world.

Clearly we couldn't have contact sports at all if accidental head hits are rubbed out altogether. What should be rubbed out are acts like Longs which are seemingly intended to cause injury, otherwise why else didn't he simply tackle ?

All sports people have a duty of care to their opponents. This is contact, team sports, not MMA or boxing. Bumping is fine as long as you don't get someone in the head. We all know that now.

If you punch someone in the head on the street, or run into them with your shoulder and smash them in the face, that's assault.

In AFL there's no protection. No helmets. The head is sacrosanct and so it should be. My brother is testament to that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers and go Tigers.

Also mate I know there’s a bit of research out of the states which is demonstrating that quite a lot of concussion injuries are often symptomatic due to the triggering of significant hormonal imbalances.
Often guys returning from war who are diagnosed as having anxiety/depression are actually suffering from repeated head trauma, sometimes even repeated sub-concussive forces, which creates a hormonal imbalance.

I’m assuming that you and your family have probably looked into everything and I’m no doctor, no idea if it’s got anything to do with your brother but if you’re keen to explore something you may not have could be worth an investigation.

I know there was a guy on Rogans podcast years ago discussing it. I think I posted about it when Reece McKenzie left the tigers.
Something to look at for you anyway if you feel it is of any use :)

Some weird defensiveness about Balta providing chop out in the ruck.

We've tried Chol the past two games and he's been absolutely sh*t, and not only that, his head is not in the game. If we play Chol as backup ruck this week we may as well give up now. He is not going to magically get better until he goes back to a lower level and regains some confidence and form.

We either play Nank all game on his own and risk him pulling up sore for the next game, or we get someone else to take the odd centre bounce (throwins are less of a problem as pretty much anyone can put their hand up for it).

So who's it going to be?

The simple answer is Balta takes a few centre hitouts and 5 min of general play as ruck, and then Nank gets back at it. I'd even consider bringing in Broad to provide cover in the back line but someone has to walk the plank for that to happen and i'm not sure who.
we tried chol as a tom lynch replacement, not as a ruck.

we tried chol as a tom lynch replacement, not as a ruck.

Didn't you see him taking some of the centre bounces last week? I did. Dusty just gave up and roved the oppo ruckman instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh I forgot we have an unopened packet of ruckmen for just this occasion.
we have chol, a ruckman who played some very good footy against good teams, while playing in the ruck

but nah, lets judge him as a ruckman for the 2 games he played as a full forward replacement for tom lynch.

Saints game style is quick ball movement so we need to prepare for this. They can easily burn us if we are not switched on

fast paced plus a handful of giants, both things that have beaten us in the last few years

we are way better than s**t kilda but if we melt at the shitty umpiring and half a dozen players don't show up again we can loose

we'll flog em by 40 odd if the real tigs show up

Didn't you see him taking some of the centre bounces last week? I did. Dusty just gave up and roved the oppo ruckman instead.
got 9 hitouts as opposed to nanks 11, with probably significantly less time in the ruck.

i guess we drop grimes because if we judge him as a backman, cameron kicked 3 goals, so he's gotta go. but cotchin can probably play his role instead.

Pickett out for Lynch.
Pickett butchers the footy, often when under no pressure and is prone to brain snaps and giving away costly frees.

Chol has to stay.

got 9 hitouts as opposed to nanks 11, with probably significantly less time in the ruck.

i guess we drop grimes because if we judge him as a backman, cameron kicked 3 goals, so he's gotta go. but cotchin can probably play his role instead.

I think Grimes might just survive getting dropped, he has a slightly better history than Chol.

Do you think it's a coincidence that Balta finally became a consistent AFL footballer once they stopped moving him around? You can't keep moving a young KPP all over the ground and expect him to develop cohesively. He also said it his most recent interview that it was driving him crazy and he couldn't settle into AFL.

Also, since moving to defence he TOG% is 95-100% every game. When he was in the ruck he was only playing 50-60% TOG as he doesn't have a tank to get to contests all over the ground.

So would you rather having Noah pinch hitting in the ruck and then sitting on the pine or get games into him for our KPD for the next 10 years? Astbury and Grimes aren't getting any younger and Noah will have 70-100 games by the time they retire if we keep him in defence.

Can't rob Peter to pay Paul.

I'm not going to comment on Chol until I see the team tomorrow but one thing I do know is he is more useful pinch hitting off the bench rather than a Lynch replacement.

Noah would not be sitting on the pine. He is indispensible. Back and claytons ruck, no on the bench

Now you're changing goalposts. First he wasn't played as a ruck. Now, he only had 2 less hitouts than Nankervis, so that wasn't that bad.

He's had two absolute shockers in a row. He should have been dropped after the first one. His heart just isn't in it at the moment and he needs to drop a level and get some confidence back.

About Grimes, don't put words in my mouth, that's kids stuff.

But yeah if Grimes was avoiding contests, positioning himself on the wrong side of the play so he wouldn't get hurt, and becoming a liability to the team, yeah i'd be calling for him to go play in the ressies for a bit as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back