• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Its completely different. We had already drafted
Cotchin
Martin
Riewoldt
Rance
Edwards

The future A graders that would deliver a dynasty. Atm we have nothing. Mind boggling nobody can see this
We still have time to build around Bolton, Balta, baker, Gibcus, Taranto if they can get in the park but agree we are missing a midfield super star and a replacement for lunch

That’s ok. We can agree to disagree over 2 and 3 time premiership players.
That's not the issue in discussion as the results showed last year we struggled to win games with them plus TT and JH. Results don't lie as they're there so stop avoiding facts with a lame excuse. They also had two extra premiership players and legends in Cotchin and JR8 and still we fell away so again your point is mute . i refuse to agree to disagree bc you're avoiding the truth and facts.
Plus you said there’s a massive clean out coming so again this doesn’t go with your agenda, but supports my views on our senior players.

Last edited:
Dow, Young, Miller, MRJ, Lefau, Sonsie, Campbell, Brown, HRS all young players that can be part of the next tilt.

I don’t think it’s as bad as what people suggest. This year is horrific but I really think we can turn it around quick as these kids are getting a lot of game time.

On a side note, my disinterest in the AFL is such that now i basically don’t watch anything other than Richmond and i no longer consume any AFL media. I no longer listen to SEN either. Don’t read papers either. Anyone else like this now?
I am more invested in local footy.

The game has gone to complete s**t. Rule changers, s**t umpiring, protecting the head nonsense, the list goes on.

you ever wonder what role a 28-year-old Jason Castagna would be playing at the club now?

Would be in his absolute prime now, would Chaos

you ever wonder what role a 28-year-old Jason Castagna would be playing at the club now?

Would be in his absolute prime now, would Chaos
the fans made him retire lol

soft

110% agree.
Dow is playing at the #1 or 2 mid while he should be the 4th or 5th.
It also isn’t a coincidence that Mansell and Campbell have dropped off since Balta and Lynch have been out.

Brown, Sonsie, Young and Miller were ok today.

Short is a problem imo.
I agree with all you say. I find it strange that people single out Dow for criticism when he’s just one of the midfield group that got beaten. McAulif and Sonsie look to have a good chemistry in the VFL and I would love to see them given a go together.
The biggest problem with Short is that he is keeping Smith out of the side.
I like both Mansell and Campbell and think Campbell in particular will make it

Loving what Lefau is doing. If Balta is back next week he gets the Dogs best defender and Mekelti gets their 2nd defender. I'm backing him in to do some real damage. Look what happened when we rolled the Swans when Big Sexy and Balta were playing. That's where it's at for us. Get the big key forwards back will be a game changer. Plus Taranto, Hopper and Ross would be great too.
The thing I don’t understand is why are we only playing two key forwards against three key defenders. Our forwards are inexperienced and outnumbered. Play Young as a defensive forward so that at least the opposition can’t simply shepherd our guys out and intercept. No wonder our small forwards can’t get dangerous

The only question I have about our younger players is if some have been in the system 4 or 5 reasons now, why are they built like rakes?

Was watching Freo mids push our guys off the ball all game so watched the likes of Dow, HRS, etc run around looking like they have pins for arms and no chest.

Do we not pump the weights into the young guys? Or more than likely am I unrealistic in my thoughts?

You do realise their equivalent injuries would see their team without Serong, Young, Brayshaw, Fyfe and O’Meara?

So what would their midfield look like? Aish. Walter and Clark would need to go in there. Then a couple of kids like Erasmus and Johnson.

Sonsie and Dow have yet to play 30 games. Bolton will never be big, he’s a tiny build. Young (65), Serong (88) and Brayshaw (131) are all 23yo+ and have got the experience needed.

Put TT, Hopper and Ross (or even 2 of them) into our 2025 midfield (I’m not counting Prestia or Graham any more) with Dow and Sonsie who will have another 10-15 games experience. Then Bolton or even MRJ to chime in, and hopefully by that time McCaullife involved it will look a whole heap different.

Don’t worry about the size or quality of our midfield when they are all injured.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing I don’t understand is why are we only playing two key forwards against three key defenders. Our forwards are inexperienced and outnumbered. Play Young as a defensive forward so that at least the opposition can’t simply shepherd our guys out and intercept. No wonder our small forwards can’t get dangerous
You’re generous saying two as I only counted one.

Last edited:
You do realise their equivalent injuries would see their team without Serong, Young, Brayshaw, Fyfe and O’Meara?

So what would their midfield look like? Aish. Walter and Clark would need to go in there. Then a couple of kids like Erasmus and Johnson.

Sonsie and Dow have yet to play 30 games. Bolton will never be big, he’s a tiny build. Young (65), Serong (88) and Brayshaw (131) are all 23yo+ and have got the experience needed.

Put TT, Hopper and Ross (or even 2 of them) into our 2025 midfield (I’m not counting Prestia or Graham any more) with Dow and Sonsie who will have another 10-15 games experience. Then Bolton or even MRJ to chime in, and hopefully by that time McCaullife involved it will look a whole heap different.

Don’t worry about the size or quality of our midfield when they are all injured.

Dow and Banks will always be small and slight like Bolton. That’s what CR was implying. Nothing to do with games or experience. These two guys are also slow and poor overhead unlike all the names you mentioned. This is why Bolton is elite on his days as he has the whole package. Dow and Banks will never be AFL standard and need to be delisted as they’re not the type of player suited physically in an AFL environment.

That’s your opinion and that’s fine. I’m happy to continue and invest in the future. I wonder if he would be playing better with more experienced support around him. He’s played 20 games. Happy to give him a good run at it.

He also had 8 tackles last game against Melbourne. He has played 25 games. The only way he will develop consistency is to keep getting games. And even then, he will be up and down a lot until he gets some midfield cavalry back.

I don’t think anyone on here realises MAJORITY of players don’t begin playing consistent football until 22yo+ and 60+ games. We look at Reid or Scheezel or Naicos and go … “Where is our equivalent?” …. but they are the exception to the rule.

Look at the Cats … have a think about how good and consistent these players were ahen they were sub 22yo and/or had 20-30 games experience:

Bowes : 26 yo / 103 games
Close 25 yo / 84 games
Stengle 25 / 68 games
Miers: 25 / 114 games
Zach Guthrie : 25 / 85 games
O’Connor: 27 / 116
Atkins: 28 / 112
J Henry: 25 / 126
Parfitt : 26 / 127

Even Holmes and O Henry are nearly 22yo but they have 50+ games under their belt.

Whilst a few of those above might have shown signs, who honestly thought when they were making their way early days the likes of Miers and Guthrie would be talked about as AA? And Bowes, Parfitt and Atkins would be cogs in the top of the table midfield? I seriously thought the ultra skinny Z Guthrie could be the worst player I’d ever seen get regular games. And Close and Miers were two unreliable little forward pockets who never got the job done in September and were pretty weak their first 40-games.

You can even see it with Richmond players… who has just established themselves (before injury) .. Jack Ross. No coincidence he’s 23yo and has 68 games and his footy has come on heaps in his last 20 games.

None of our other ‘hopefuls’ have 40-games yet. But who are the ones who’ve perhaps shown a bit more in 2024 than most of us thought possible?

MRJ: 34 games
Hugo: 35 games
Miller: 31 games
Mansell : 39 games

Not saying they’ll all make the grade, but they’re all a hell of a lot better with 30+ games than they were when less than 15-games. It’s no coincidence a couple of seasons worth of footy has seen them take positive steps.

Nearly all our other ‘hopefuls’ are under 20-games, so let’s give them until 50+ games before calling for their heads, as that’s what MOST young players need before getting anywhere near playing consistently and near their peak.

Man just play kosi and cumbo. Can’t be any worse than what we had today.
I tend to agree. I assume the coaches are trying to select a team that has a structure to it, but we simply don't have the players available. Think both Kosi and Cumberland should get a solid block of games to see what they can do.

It's been such a luckless season so far, and it feels like the resolve of the group is almost at its limits. Feels like things could deteriorate with a few big loses from here. We need a chop out, some excitement and a reason to keep fighting the good fight. At the moment the team doesn't have that.

There isn't much to be excited about right now, but it will turn. MRJ is looking better almost every week, and a few others show promise to be good long term prospects. Big couple of off seasons coming for the club. Need to get it right.

Coulthard is tiny. Stood next to him in 3121 at half time and could believe how small he is. Same with Caleb smith. Just kids.
Will they get bigger though ? If not then like Dow and Banks we need to move these types on as our blokes looked undersized today and really got ripped to shreds.

I don’t think anyone on here realises MAJORITY of players don’t begin playing consistent football until 22yo+ and 60+ games. We look at Reid or Scheezel or Naicos and go … “Where is our equivalent?” …. but they are the exception to the rule.

Look at the Cats … have a think about how good and consistent these players were ahen they were sub 22yo and/or had 20-30 games experience:

Bowes : 26 yo / 103 games
Close 25 yo / 84 games
Stengle 25 / 68 games
Miers: 25 / 114 games
Zach Guthrie : 25 / 85 games
O’Connor: 27 / 116
Atkins: 28 / 112
J Henry: 25 / 126
Parfitt : 26 / 127

Even Holmes and O Henry are nearly 22yo but they have 50+ games under their belt.

Whilst a few of those above might have shown signs, who honestly thought when they were making their way early days the likes of Miers and Guthrie would be talked about as AA? And Bowes, Parfitt and Atkins would be cogs in the top of the table midfield? I seriously thought the ultra skinny Z Guthrie could be the worst player I’d ever seen get regular games. And Close and Miers were two unreliable little forward pockets who never got the job done in September and were pretty weak their first 40-games.

You can even see it with Richmond players… who has just established themselves (before injury) .. Jack Ross. No coincidence he’s 23yo and has 68 games and his footy has come on heaps in his last 20 games.

None of our other ‘hopefuls’ have 40-games yet. But who are the ones who’ve perhaps shown a bit more in 2024 than most of us thought possible?

MRJ: 34 games
Hugo: 35 games
Miller: 31 games
Mansell : 39 games

Not saying they’ll all make the grade, but they’re all a hell of a lot better with 30+ games than they were when less than 15-games. It’s no coincidence a couple of seasons worth of footy has seen them take positive steps.

Nearly all our other ‘hopefuls’ are under 20-games, so let’s give them until 50+ games before calling for their heads, as that’s what MOST young players need before getting anywhere near playing consistently and near their peak.

BEST
Round 1
Richmond: Vlastuin, Hopper, Balta, Nankervis, Taranto
Round 2
Richmond: Bolton, Baker, Ross, Nankervis
Round 3
Richmond: D.Rioli, Taranto, Vlastuin, Lynch, Bolton
Round 4
Richmond: Bolton, Martin, Nankervis, Taranto, Vlastuin
Round 5
Richmond: Bolton, Baker, Lefau, Miller, Vlastuin
Round 7
Richmond: Lefau, Broad, Dow, Hopper, Baker
Round 8
Richmond: Baker, Short, D.Rioli, Martin, Vlastuin

At what age should we expect some of these blokes to get in the best?

Lefau x 2 + Dow once. And quite honestly, Lefau is the least talented of all of them

There is being patient & then there is accepting mediocrity

WTF is Naismith still getting a game? Or KMac. Plus Grimes. And Pickett.

Why come bottom and have our best looking like above? Do it with kids at least. Loads of them

What's the point of all this s**t? The best continually are all the older blokes and we are still losing by5-7 goals

Just play Cumberland ffs. And Ryan. And McAuliffe. Even Kosi or Smith

My personal opinion is yes, there’s a bias against us. It really is obvious.
I haven't believed there is a conspiracy to umpire us badly it feels to far fetched, but there is an obvious bias, the stat's prove it over a long stretch now.
It can be argued that umpires don't have a bias. Look at Ginnavin, can't buy a free kick now for high contact because it was probapointed out to the umpires as a depwhat he was doing and now they are nervous to pay him frees.
Perhaps Richmond as a team has had the the same treatment. It could ha e been pointed out we don't stick tackles, or we tackle high too often.
Perhaps there has been too much lip on the field over a period of time.
A lot of little things like this could add up to a subconscious bias against the team and leave us in the stands shaking our heads.
The club is caught in the position that if they complain publicly we look like whining bitches and that certainly how the media would portray it, but something has to be said, at least subtly to start changing the narrative.

Back