Discussion Rooey gets no love from the umps

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm struggling with the comparison though. Riewoldt's had 82 scoring shots to 42 (and some other shots :eek:), and I'm not recalling Johnson being mauled to the same extent given other teams are desparate to limit Riewoldt's impact on the game. And Roo is 193cm with one of the biggest vertical leaps in the game (vs 182cm).

Whilst in years gone by Johnson would be someone who needs to be scragged at all costs, I don't think he is priority #1 these days.

I'm struggling with the comparison though. Riewoldt's had 82 scoring shots to 42 (and some other shots :eek:), and I'm not recalling Johnson being mauled to the same extent given other teams are desparate to limit Riewoldt's impact on the game. And Roo is 193cm with one of the biggest vertical leaps in the game (vs 182cm).

Whilst in years gone by Johnson would be someone who needs to be scragged at all costs, I don't think he is priority #1 these days.

The comparison is really about being involved in the game. Riewoldt, despite spoiling tactics simply holds more marks, while Johnson finds it more difficult to get away from the defenders, but still does worse with the free kicks.

Riewoldt almost eliminates the need for frees because he just gets away from defenders and holds a lot of marks.

Joe - if Johnno gets more frees than Roo this week I will lose it :D

The stats indicate you are safe as Roo is well ahead ..... but then who could predict the umpire behaviour.

I guess it may depend on who is appointed and how the combination of strutting egos go about getting themselves noticed.

whilst you may feel like that, lets have a look at the free-kick differential for the key forwards of a few clubs

Riewoldt 22 for 8 Against = +14
Brown 22 for 14 against = + 8
Mooney 11 for 10 against = +1
Fevola 13 for 16 against = -3
B.Johnson 11 for 20 against = -9
Franklin 8 for 19 against = -11

I have said it previously, the run a player gets works both ways. out of the 6 listed, riewoldt has the least against and the equal most for.

Riewoldt still gets the best run from the umpires, even if he doesnt have a lot paid. Forwards are always treated the worst out of all the players on field

Riewoldt is not known for his tackling or body-work in marking contests, so using the differential is a flawed analysis. FFS - comparison to Mooney???

How exactly will he give away free kicks the way he plays? Maybe illegal contact by using his shoulder blades to trap an opponent's hands??? :rolleyes:

whilst you may feel like that, lets have a look at the free-kick differential for the key forwards of a few clubs

Riewoldt 22 for 8 Against = +14
Brown 22 for 14 against = + 8
Mooney 11 for 10 against = +1
Fevola 13 for 16 against = -3
B.Johnson 11 for 20 against = -9
Franklin 8 for 19 against = -11

I have said it previously, the run a player gets works both ways. out of the 6 listed, riewoldt has the least against and the equal most for.

Riewoldt still gets the best run from the umpires, even if he doesnt have a lot paid. Forwards are always treated the worst out of all the players on field
I would wager that half of Fevola's and Buddy's Frees Against were from them getting pissed off at something and doing something petulant and stupid.

Rooey has the most marks in the league and I would probably guess the most marks attempted in the league as well so the opportunity for free's is higher.

But when (and I am just picking stats out of the air here) LLoyd attempts 100 marks and gets 20 free kicks and Reiwoldt attempts 200 marks and gets 20 free kicks, who is getting the better deal here?

You can't just look at one stat and say "Oh look he is getting just as good a deal as Player X".

And I am not sure how Reiwoldt can be giving away free's when he is mostly the one who is in front and leading for the ball. The players like Mooney and Franklin who love to stand there and wrestle for position are more likely to give away frees.

lol.. just because someone may lead the free kick count, doesn't mean he's always receiving the fairest treatment by umpiring.

I think in relation to this thread, the acknowledgment of tactics used against the Voldt and the old catch cry of 'consistancy' would be nice. Although it would be nice to see the Voldt dominate more so in relation to his ability, all players suffer from the arbitrary nature of umpiring. Some obviously more so and less deservingly than others.

Only if they play for Sydney. Their players can do anything as long as they are still in contention for the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hall was in the same boat but aggressive nature got a hold of him, watching the last few games saints have played Riewolt is getting awful treatment at stages, against the Swans I saw one or two frees that could've been paid but really those strong Full Forwards who don't dive aren't going to get treated fairly.

Hall was in the same boat but aggressive nature got a hold of him, watching the last few games saints have played Riewolt is getting awful treatment at stages, against the Swans I saw one or two frees that could've been paid but really those strong Full Forwards who don't dive aren't going to get treated fairly.

Sorry thats Bull****.
Hall's whole style was to push the defender away/over before leading for the ball and in doing so often fouled using the modern interpretation of the rules.

Nothing like Riewoldt.

I would wager that half of Fevola's and Buddy's Frees Against were from them getting pissed off at something and doing something petulant and stupid.

Rooey has the most marks in the league and I would probably guess the most marks attempted in the league as well so the opportunity for free's is higher.

But when (and I am just picking stats out of the air here) LLoyd attempts 100 marks and gets 20 free kicks and Reiwoldt attempts 200 marks and gets 20 free kicks, who is getting the better deal here?

You can't just look at one stat and say "Oh look he is getting just as good a deal as Player X".

And I am not sure how Reiwoldt can be giving away free's when he is mostly the one who is in front and leading for the ball. The players like Mooney and Franklin who love to stand there and wrestle for position are more likely to give away frees.
Thats a fair call, in terms of giving away free kicks, but for those who watch Buddy play, he runs plenty all over the ground, getting his arms chopped, pushed out etc. all the same things you're complaining about, and yet has recieved 8 free kicks this year to rooey's 22.
Backman get away with plenty, including one of your own, so don't be too suprised if he doesn't get every kick.

Roo is a fairer player than Buddy and is prime for pushing as his body work on the man is not his strength. Everybody knows your best bet is to outmuscle him, your only chance really. Buddy is different in that respect as he initiates the wrestle. As such it is more of a 50/50 and as such Roo gets better rewarded.

Just the nature of their individual games.

Roo is a fairer player than Buddy and is prime for pushing as his body work on the man is not his strength. Everybody knows your best bet is to outmuscle him, your only chance really. Buddy is different in that respect as he initiates the wrestle. As such it is more of a 50/50 and as such Roo gets better rewarded.

Just the nature of their individual games.

Have you ever actually bothered to watch the way Buddy runs and leads?
The man on man work would explain the ones against him, which is pretty much what I stated in my first post, but I'm still yet to see how he doesn't get more paid for him when he is on the lead or jumping at the ball. Rooey gets decent treatment compared to many others.

No, I have just come onto the Hawks board and am cr@pping on about stuff I don't know. Oh, hang on, you are on teh Saints board cr@pping on about stuff you don't know.

Roo has more frees than Franklin, so seems the umps tend to support my arguement.

Enjoy 9th place, it is a good position to launch an attack on next season.

Hawthorn = the new Tigers

i've always thought Tredders has got a raw deal with the umps his whole career. Doesn't get a free unless his head's ripped off.

No, I have just come onto the Hawks board and am cr@pping on about stuff I don't know. Oh, hang on, you are on teh Saints board cr@pping on about stuff you don't know.

Roo has more frees than Franklin, so seems the umps tend to support my arguement.

Enjoy 9th place, it is a good position to launch an attack on next season.

Hawthorn = the new Tigers
Wait wait wait, in a thread complaining about umpires, we then start using them to support arguements?!
I'm pretty confused right now. You've admitted you don't watch much Buddy, well, I watch a fair bit of the saints, and am a massive fan of the way rooey goes about his work (except for the 2nd half v us last season). I just think he gets a fair run from the umps, compared to other forwards.
And thank you for the petty sooking comments at the end there, but if we do finish 9th (which I hope we don't), it wouldn't be the first time, I'll get over it.

Sorry thats Bull****.
Hall's whole style was to push the defender away/over before leading for the ball and in doing so often fouled using the modern interpretation of the rules.

Nothing like Riewoldt.

Yes, he played body on body which makes it harder to get a free.

Which gets held, pushed in the back but doesn't dive so he doesn't get a free kick.

I don't think that there is any doubt that despite Hall being correctly assessed in giving away plenty of frees, he was treated badly on the flipside (frees received). We saw it first hand with Plugger who ended up being reported numerous times in frustration (as Guy McKenna will be able to attest).

But after his effort in '05 "Hally gets no love from the Saints".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back