Rookie Pick 26 (2016) - Brett Eddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgive my ignorance coz I don't watch a lot of South games and haven't seen Eddy before that but why has he not been AFL standard earlier in his career, and has he rectified this in recent times?

He is certainly an AFL standard kick for goal. He doesn't look overly muscular but this is not always necessary for a key forward. Endurance, leading, second efforts, contested marking, positioning for marks?

I would love him to become our next Josh Mahoney or JPod

Forgive my ignorance coz I don't watch a lot of South games and haven't seen Eddy before that but why has he not been AFL standard earlier in his career, and has he rectified this in recent times?

He is certainly an AFL standard kick for goal. He doesn't look overly muscular but this is not always necessary for a key forward. Endurance, leading, second efforts, contested marking, positioning for marks?

Injury didn't help

I watched him in one or two games on tv along the way, it was clear to me he is a very smart footballer. Im hoping he does consistently well at AFL level would be a great story for him and Port if he does. Not to mention a bit of weight of Kens shoulders.

IIRC did his knee after being drafted by C/wood in 2011?

clubs are reluctant to give blokes in the mid twenties a go, given his consistent form over the last couple of years and our situation with forwards meant it was a really safe cheap crack at him on or rookie list. We have done really well picking him and lienert up as ready to go rookies that add strength to our squad.
he was always a much better footballer than previously listed forwards we had on out list. So glad it is us that's given him a chance on an afl list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly he's a guy where at his peak years he's AFL standard which may only be 3-5 years . At 27 I guess he fits that bill hopefully because if he can fill the spot while Marshall fills out

Fwark, 400!?

Dual signed with Brett Eddy 27 and Brett Eddy #1.

He's a first year rookie and having the South Adelaide signature devalues it.

Normal match balls are $150, there's no way it's worth $400

I paid $500-odd at online auction for Alipate's matchworn, signed, actual guerns from his 100th game in 2012 (we actually won, too).

Do these SANFL clubs have an actual concept of money or has hanging off our **** turned them into gapyear backpackers from Point Piper?

Eddy has a mean blind turn
Wont have escaped Sydney or other teams but Brett has enough smarts to deal with close attention.
Knowing what he might do and then stopping it ....... well ....... 2 different things.
A sharp shooting 192(?) 3rd marking option up front :) he's a pretty good ground ball player too.

F2189gD.jpg

http://m.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/vfl/vfl-players-2015/brett-eddy

There was a herald sun article the other day on him. Kicked 4 in the first quarter against a Xavier Clarke and then did his knee.

A few clubs were looking at him but the phone stopped after the knee injury.

Interesting that Breddy was described as a `high flying forward ' in that article.

I have seen him a number of times now, a couple of times live, and at least 6 or 7 sanfl games on tv, and I can't recall him taking any high marks, or even attempting one.
As per last week the majority of his shots on goal tended to come from well timed leads, or occasionally turning his opponent inside out, and running onto a loose ground ball.

In the game against the Maggies at Alberton eg, the panthers regularly left their fwd 50 open so he could lead into space, from memory he kicked 4 or 5 goals that day.

If he could add the high marking string to his bow he could become a very valuable player. :)

He also shows a great deal of intelligence in choosing when to kick for goal. Against Hawthorn in his 4-goal quarter he took the ball outside 50 but unlike a lot of players did not have a ping at a supergoal although he would have made the distance. Rather he waited till he was fully balanced and had the goal in his sights. He lines up the goal and his kick as he is running as opposed to just simply running at the goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back