Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish.

Sloane is being paid big bucks and he has been crap since 2017..
Yeah our list is absolutely flying, isn't it ?
Could we use an extra 800k a yr to pay an A grade midfielder ?
Sloane was only captain material at his peak when his on field drive was awesome.
Hearing him talk is just PR dribble, I doubt he adds anything to the team now on or off the field.

Probably the most over rated player ever at the club.

Rubbish.

Sloane is being paid big bucks and he has been crap since 2017..
Yeah our list is absolutely flying, isn't it ?
Could we use an extra 800k a yr to pay an A grade midfielder ?
Sloane was only captain material at his peak when his on field drive was awesome.
Hearing him talk is just PR dribble, I doubt he adds anything to the team now on or off the field.
Addressing the idea that his contract is holding us back, it’s simply not.

His performance since he signed it has been underwhelming no doubt, but look at it objectively. The first SA gun wanting to come home that was available and worth it we were able to throw a big enough contract at. Since the list clean out we’ve been able to re-sign all the key young players we need to keep.

Name a gun player that we would have been a realistic chance of getting if we weren’t paying Sloane’s salary.

His performance since he signed it has been underwhelming no doubt, but look at it objectively. The first SA gun wanting to come home that was available and worth it we were able to throw a big enough contract at. Since the list clean out we’ve been able to re-sign all the key young players we need to keep.

Name a gun player that we would have been a realistic chance of getting if we weren’t paying Sloane’s salary.

It’s wasted money regardless of identifying a big fish that might’ve come to us already. It could have been used to prepay a heap of existing deals freeing up space for a gun in the future. It’s a pretty simple concept. We’ve blown a heap of $ on that contract and it will cost us at some point, if it hasn’t already.

You want me to name a gun player we have missed out on..
Well, how many have arrived?

Sloane’s contract absolutely hurts.

We are comfortably under the salary cap & re-signed most of our younger players to longer contracts to use up cap space.

We have the youngest list & salary cap is the least ot our concerns.

Money isn't an issue when attracting players to our club... finding the players is more of an issue.

You’re making it sound like there are gun players lining up to come to SA, and if we simply had the money they’d be ours.

History shows that is not the case. Dawson was keen to return home, we had the money to lure him here instead of Port. We’ve signed all our important young players. I don’t see that we’re being held back by Sloane’s contract the way some people suggest. Yes with hindsight it’s not a great move but at the time we needed to keep him and it hasn’t hurt us that much with our recruiting and player retention now.

The argument that without Sloane’s salary we’d be able to front end a few more contracts and be better off in future has merit, but this fantasy that we’d have lured an A grade midfielder if it weren’t for his contract is just unrealistic.

Heard Sloane doing his weekly bit on AA earlier in the week. Sloaney says he’s on the bench with the cans on and passing on messages to players as they come to the bench. Says he’s enjoying doing his bit and that he hears all the talk from the coaches in the box. Rowie then asks which coach is the one that has a bit of a crack the most, or a question to that effect. Sloaney’s response is he doesn’t hear that because he has the volume down. Literally dead set opposite of what he’d just said within 2 sentences. Classic Captain Sloaney.

Last edited:
Heard Sloane doing his weekly bit on AA earlier in the week. Sloaney says he’s on the bench with the cans on and passing on messages to players as they come to the bench. Says he’s enjoying doing his bit and that he heats all the talk from the coaches in the box. Rowie then asks which coach is the one that has a bit of a crack the most, or a question to that effect. Sloaney’s response is he doesn’t hear that because he has the volume down. Literally dead set opposite of what he’d just said within 2 sentences. Classic Captain Sloaney.
A shame collective minds couldn’t make him a better message passeronerer.

Sloane desire to remain/reinstated as captain is a selfish decision.

He should be putting the Club first, not himself.
Give the captaincy back to our real captain - Tex, and let someone else prove they should be captain by the time he retires.

Have loved Rory but at his age coming back from an ACL has disaster written all over it. We’ll be forced to chose an even less mobile Rory because he’s captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give the captaincy back to our real captain - Tex, and let someone else prove they should be captain by the time he retires.

Have loved Rory but at his age coming back from an ACL has disaster written all over it. We’ll be forced to chose an even less mobile Rory because he’s captain.
Being made Captain for Sloane, means the AFC are forced to play him, which really is a step backwards for our team, especially more so as I dont think he will be up to it in 2023.

I clicked this thread thinking he did another ACL and I'm glad Sloane didn't but you're 100% spot on. Tex was a great captain and I have no idea why he was removed from that role. Don't get me wrong I've given the guy a lot of flack over the years but he's the gift that keeps on giving imo. So rare to have a 500 goal player and he's still slept on and underrated. If Tex played for us in 2022 and Hawkins for your team - I don't think much changes at all. We'd still be premiers but both of their goal tallies would be swapped.

I clicked this thread thinking he did another ACL and I'm glad Sloane didn't but you're 100% spot on. Tex was a great captain and I have no idea why he was removed from that role. Don't get me wrong I've given the guy a lot of flack over the years but he's the gift that keeps on giving imo. So rare to have a 500 goal player and he's still slept on and underrated. If Tex played for us in 2022 and Hawkins for your team - I don't think much changes at all. We'd still be premiers but both of their goal tallies would be swapped.
The bigger issue with Tex is his recent indiscretions.

I would be making Dawson captain to free up Sloane to concentrate on footy.

Has done wonders for Tex...
Dawson has come in and set a high standard at the AFC, he is most deserving when you consider all the issues at hand here.

Dawson has come in and set a high standard at the AFC, he is most deserving when you consider all the issues at hand here.
Also, handles himself well off field.

One of our 1st picked.

Makes perfect sense imo.

Also, handles himself well off field.

One of our 1st picked.

Makes perfect sense imo.
Its not only the right decision, its the most sensible decision and given the Crows are risk adverse, makes all the sense in the world.

Sloane desire to remain/reinstated as captain is a selfish decision.

He should be putting the Club first, not himself.

If he had half a brain hed realise relinquishing the Captaincy would be putting himself first.

Egotism at its finest.

Tex has done his time and served his club admirably. Time for the next generation to step up.

I would be making Dawson captain to free up Sloane to concentrate on footy.

Has done wonders for Tex...

You can see this kid would thrive with the added responsibility.
Not only that, he has a Football brain, unlike the other young candidate.

Wasn't Tex dismissed as captain before that? I could be wrong. Removing those indiscretions there was still no way any club was going to replace their new captain with their old captain. Any self respecting person would've left if that were the case and clearly the AFC doesn't seem to want that. Personally, I thought you guys should've traded Rory a while ago when he still had trade value. I'll read your response and chuck you a like but I'll head off your board now.

Nah he stepped down.

Back