Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feels like Tex has been our captain since 2015 regardless of the captaincy title

Sloane isn't guaranteed best 22 moving forward anyway, Giving Dawson/Doedee captain should be a no brainer
Don't need the C to be leader.

Sloane is going to be a repeat of Scott Thompson circa 2015-17 over the next two or even three years - he’ll be slow, obviously cooked and playing poorly but still front up to play because he thinks it’s best for the team plus the coaches will refuse to drop him because “you try telling Sloaney he can’t play”.

It’ll be even worse than Thompson as he’ll cling on to the captaincy for this time too making him even harder to drop…

Personally, I thought you guys should've traded Rory a while ago when he still had trade value. I'll read your response and chuck you a like but I'll head off your board now.

Rory read the room and had seen the conga line of required players leave Adelaide year after year and knew that he could extract maximum dollar on a favourable contract

5 years was way overs but Adelaide was desperate for a good news story

Rory read the room and had seen the conga line of required players leave Adelaide year after year and knew that he could extract maximum dollar on a favourable contract

5 years was way overs but Adelaide was desperate for a good news story
Even if the contract was only 3 years he'd still be on our list right now

Sloaney thinks he’s saying the right thing by stating he wants to stay and fight and the club will need to be the one to move him on, but that just makes it difficult for the club.

Part of being leader and senior player is knowing when your time is up and making the right call, not to be forced out. Unfortunately a lot of our senior players go down the same path.

Yep, time to pass the baton Rory,
Ever since Nicks has come to the club, his mantra has been prioritise others
After 3 years at the club for Nicks, Rory still hasn't got the message
He's had some great teachers in that regard over his time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As expected, has gone public already with desire to remain captain. It’s all about Rory.
The part I read was just a headline that he says leadership isn't a title. I read it as or hoped that he was not going to be captain. If it was the opposite his wishes should be irrelevant.

Needs to take a leaf from Luke Brown or Podsiadly who both stood aside for the next generation.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feels like Tex has been our captain since 2015 regardless of the captaincy title

Sloane isn't guaranteed best 22 moving forward anyway, Giving Dawson/Doedee captain should be a no brainer

Don't know if I agree with that. The last two years maybe.

Maybe, I still think he is a pure midfielder and if he can't make the team in that position then there isn't a spot for him.

I don't think he has the speed, movement and skillset required to be a damaging forward.
I've been watching old games .....watching some 2010 match's with newbie Rory Sloane .....he was very sharp with his reflex's which enabled him to intercept a lot of 50/50 balls .....you can't say that now, gets to the contest 2nd more often and has to tackle ....which IMO gives a false impression of his play

Fhpo9HpaUAIeKZ0

I have no issue with Sloane wanting to retain the captaincy, but that should be given no bearing by the club. If he's not the best choice for captain anymore (and there's a very reasonable argument that he's not) then it should go to whoever is.
He shouldn't be voicing his opinion publicly and putting any pressure on the club when it comes to the decision. I can see the headline now:

"Crows snub Sloane who wanted to remain captain"

Back