Ross Lyon 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

the jobs a poisoned chalice,same with the Carlton job as well.
Brad Scott is perfect for Carlton,will do as the board tells him,produce a finals appearence or 3 over 6 years.take the money and then exit with his
coaching reputation intact

Comments by Ross Lyon suggest was sought out by Collingwood for a discussion but knocked it back.

"Ultimately I think successful clubs have got alignment of where they're at and where they're going, and if you see misalignment its a red flag"
In other words Pies are a basketcase
I got the impression he was saying that the club had/has unrealistic expectations of how good they should be with the list they have. Thought Buckley shouldn't have been sacked.

Rumours of a few coaches knocking back the pies job going around.

Comments by Ross Lyon suggest was sought out by Collingwood for a discussion but knocked it back.

"Ultimately I think successful clubs have got alignment of where they're at and where they're going, and if you see misalignment its a red flag"
In other words Pies are a basketcase

The fact that Ross said things would be different if Eddie was there, says more about Ross than Collingwood.

Off field Carlton is heading exactly where the Pies are now. They are just 6 months behind.

As a pies supporter personally I’m happy to knock the whole building down and build it properly for once.

What’s happening with Lyon is imo this:
Sucks up to Ed all year on FC.
Ed still cut up about what happened earlier in the year.
Ed wants Browne as President.
Ross being the subservient individual he is declines interest in the job because of the turmoil/board.
This fuels the change Ed wants.. Ross suddenly interested again and becomes coach.

‘good boy’ says Ed as he hands ‘Rossco’ a treat.

I get the impression- may well be wrong- that Ross is applying for the job publicly.

Surely Brad Scott would be top of their list (After Clarkson).

Love the Crystal ball stuff in this thread - great reading - and at least we don't have to make a living producing speculative nonsense on a daily basis often from fairytale sources and/or mystery 'club insiders' and/or Chinese whispers from cabbie's who regularly pick up punters from outside AFL house or Ikon Park etc...

Oh, I see someone called Clarko, not wait, I see a Lion, not wait on, it's Scott someone - yes, yes, I can confirm according to the prophecies in the ball none of these related names will coach an AFL team next year...!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon wants to be headhunted, people shouldn't forget he never had a game plan to win the big one. Defence is one thing, but it's goals that win matches. Does he have a game plan that accommodates that aspect? He needs to change his thinking if Carlton are to succeed under his coaching.

I think at this point Carlton just want to make finals, which Ross Lyon can pretty much guarantee.

And while I dont like Lyons gameplan, I do think it is a bit over emphasises how it doesn't win Grand Finals. Yes, while he obviously hasn't won one, he was involved in three very close ones that just went the other way. He could easily have 2 or 3 to his name. Him getting there with two separate teams suggests at the very least it holds up in finals.

I think at this point Carlton just want to make finals, which Ross Lyon can pretty much guarantee.

And while I dont like Lyons gameplan, I do think it is a bit over emphasises how it doesn't win Grand Finals. Yes, while he obviously hasn't won one, he was involved in three very close ones that just went the other way. He could easily have 2 or 3 to his name. Him getting there with two separate teams suggests at the very least it holds up in finals.
13 seasons as coach and over 300 games, he's had enough time to think about his defensive coaching plan. I reckon i could've coached the Saints to finals in 2009 and 2010. He has a very good midfield to work with and a Coleman medalist, Walsh is already the 4th or 5th best player in the competition. A fit Cripps is not far behind. He's worth a shot, but does a Carlton coach really have that much of a say?

Ross being the subservient individual he is declines interest in the job because of the turmoil/board.
This fuels the change Ed wants.. Ross suddenly interested again and becomes coach.

Subservient is about the last thing I'd ever accuse Lyon of being.

Lyon wants to be headhunted, people shouldn't forget he never had a game plan to win the big one. Defence is one thing, but it's goals that win matches. Does he have a game plan that accommodates that aspect? He needs to change his thinking if Carlton are to succeed under his coaching.

He was a bounce of the ball away from one and came up against two dynasty teams in the others, with significantly less talent and depth than his opposition in all three.

The important part for me is he still has plenty to prove unlike Clarko does. I think that’s where we stuffed up with MM, who was in the end coaching for a cheque and to get back at Eddie

He was a bounce of the ball away from one and came up against two dynasty teams in the others, with significantly less talent and depth than his opposition in all three.

The important part for me is he still has plenty to prove unlike Clarko does. I think that’s where we stuffed up with MM, who was in the end coaching for a cheque and to get back at Eddie
He was was 22-2 before the 2009 Grand Final! Too defensive and reluctant with youth...he didn't have a plan B, maybe he has learnt the lesson? You have to kick goals to win the Premiership! Coach for 13 seasons, likely to get a 5-year deal? I hope he brings his case of game plans because they were all empty at the Saints and Dockers.

My take also, and time will tell as the Collingwood saga unfolds over the coming months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back