Ross Lyon Most Underrated Coach By General Public?

Ross Underrated by General Public

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Shattered that we missed out on him. His record speaks for itself. One of the great H&A seasons in 2009 with St Kilda, coaches Freo to their 3 most successful seasons in the club's history.

Clarko aside, there's no better coach available. Factor in Clarko's state of mind and Ross's hunger for the job, Ross probably takes the cake.
Right now would you rather Voss or Ross?

It will be interesting to see the next 3-4 years. St Kilda probably have the worst list I can think of in terms of challenging for a flag. They are a true middle of the road team and need a lot more talent to truly contest, which will be hard to acquire in their position.

Ross Lyon in renowned for getting the Most out of average lists which may ultimately be their downfall.

Last edited:
I like Ross, you can see the Saints pressure is good this year and he seems to have got more out of at least some players.

I don't love the strategy of bringing Ross in because your list isn't good enough and asking him to rebuild it via the draft, whilst still winning games.

Especially when you hire Sos as list manager who's build 2 lists with scorched earth stack the draft picks and rebuild (or build in the case of GWS) from nothing.

Ross Lyon reminds me of that old Jewish guy who goes into a Catholic Church and confesses to the priest about sleeping with an 18 year old girl.
The priest asks him "You are a Jew, so why are you telling me this?" He replies, "Father, I am telling EVERYBODY!!!"

Ross Lyon loves to tell us all how great he is. How he changed the culture at St Kilda and Freo. What he fails to mention is that both clubs were on the up when he arrived. The hard work had been done. And, importantly, this game is all about premierships. He failed on every occasion.

How were the dockers on the up when he arrived? Dockers got 9 wins and 13 losses in 2011.

Next thing is your gonna say that the 2011 dockers was packed with finals experience. lol

Wanna Know freos finals record was from 1995-2011?

a 2003 elim final loss to essendon.

A qualifying loss to crows, a semi final win vs the demons and a prelim final loss to the swans in 2006.

An elim final win vs the hawks and a semi final loss to cats in 2010.

Thats 6 finals in 17 years. Yep finals hardened. lol

Burning first round picks is not Ross Lyon's fault. But it's no coincidence he left St Kilda with its list in a deep hole then stayed on a few years at Freo when they were in the same position. We traded for Tim Kelly. Regardless of what you think of the trade (I wasn't a fan at the time, still not) I don't see a scenario where the club gives up two first round picks for a 25 year old player without the coach giving it the rubber stamp. Rosco played the experienced players he had and brought in more where he could, at the expense of the development of (often more talented) younger players. Remember Freo played finals in 2010 before a poor finish to 2011 and they had a pretty young team. 8 players under 21 and 11 with under 50 games experience in the EF side that beat Hawthorn. Fast forward to the 2012 EF and that's 1 and 3. 2013 GF 1 and 4. Last final in 2015 0 and 2. Some of that is natural change from year to year but if those 18/19 year olds aren't given a crack under Mark Harvey then they aren't going to get it under Ross Lyon.

David Armitage played 28 games in his first 4 seasons. Jack Steven played 9 in his first 3. Tom Lynch played 6 in his first 3. Etc. Good teams lose young players for various reasons (Josh P Kennedy, Ben McGlynn, Shane Savage, Tom Mitchell, Tim Membrey etc.) but were St Kilda and Freo really better off with Ross Lyon's foot soldiers? Melbourne just won a flag and Luke Jackson was awesome. He did play more young players towards the end with Freo, but it took a 0-10 start in 2016 and they haven't played finals for 6 years. I think if he'd stuck around a few more years at the Dockers he could've had another top 4 side as the squad gained experience, but would've reverted to a rigid game plan.

There's nothing wrong with maintaining an age/experience profile in the 22 when you are contending for a flag (the Hawthorn and Geelong sides that won multiple flag were old and experienced) but if you neglect the future you invariably suffer.
Very insteresting view on the tim kelly trade you posted. You were not a fan of it and still not.

Also Ironic that I had to Mention Tim Kelly trade. That Tim Kelly trade in 2019 reminds me of North Melbournes finals stint in 2014-6 when they made finals and kept topping up on traded players until they dropped. North dropped in 2017, Then were ok in 2018. Were struggling in 2019 then fell to a heap in 2020.

Eagles won the flag in 2018. I didnt blame them keeping the old guard in 2019, 2020 and 2021 as despite being aged 30 and over, those veterans were match winners.

Once the eagles fell to a heap in 2022, they were old and beaten up. They needed fresh talent and Ideas.

Unbelievable he's taken st Kilda essentially to 6th spot really 5 spot in 1st year.

His trajectory is st Kilda of 2009

Gets no support among fans. Even though he has made 4 grand finals. He is dubbed as boring and is treated like dirt old malthouse.

What has he done to make it seem like he is out of touch with the game? Muh boring footy? Hope you enjoy sitting bottom of the ladder while screaming at Lyon being boring. No that's not directed to any club it's at supporters whom support of bottom of the table clubs and that enjoy their exciting games.

People would rather Buckley, Scott? LOL. So exciting. Wow

Rocks and glass houses.
Ross Lyon is underappreciated and underrated, Just like Ken Hinkley.

Ross Lyon got the saints to the finals with 2 games to go.

Ken Hinkley guided Port to 14 wins in a row and the Port fans on bigfooty poo on him. lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back