Review Round 1 2019 vs Melbourne

Who was your BOG?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You can’t just play two rucks for the sake of it - they have to be able to get around the ground as an extra mid, as well as rest forward and kick goals.

Lycett is a good pick up because he can do those things. Just selecting rucks to have them on the list is the waste of time, because they wouldn’t be able to do half of the things required. Remember Redden against Sydney? That’s what it would have been like.

Yeah that would be like having Sam Jacobs and ROB on your list...

The 3rd is a suspension.

That hasn't been the case since the end of 2017.. One-man MRP in sweeping changes for 2018

In other key changes:

Three low-level offences in a season will no longer result in an automatic one-match suspension, with a fine now applicable for the third offence.
Cases referred directly to the Tribunal will attract at least a three-week suspension save for exceptional circumstances.
Staging will now attract a fine for a first offence.
Automatic loading for players with bad records has been scrapped.
Fines for low-level offences will increase from $2000 to $3000 for first offences, $3000 to $5000 for second offences and $5000 to $8000 for third offences.

Hocking said the MRP changes were primarily designed to ensure greater consistency with its decision-making.

"Scotty Lycett stood up before the players before the game and asked for something from the playing group. It was actually the first time I've ever seen information given to the players from anyone - coach, players, whatever - and people started clapping Scotty Lycett before the game, people were that emotional about looking after Max Gawn, and everyone did it from first gamers to Scotty and Paddy." - Nathan Bassett

Tom Jonas on targeting Gawn

“There was a big focus on it and it was awesome to see the first years and younger boys getting right into him because it’s easy for the big fellas and older heads to do it but when you get everyone on board it really makes a statement and I think we executed the plan pretty well and it went a long way towards us getting the result.

“It was long down the line and the ball was coming that way, he did fold like a deck of cards, but it (being cited by the match review) will probably happen, I’m used to it so I’ll lift up the couch cushions and get a couple of dollars out and that should sort it.

“But at the end of the day I was doing what we focused on as a team to help us get the win and that’s what counts.”

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/c6b147e6d7388f23266d3e9f0438703f

First rule of targetting players. Dont talk about targeting players.

It always comes back to bite you on the arse when the umpires look out for it next week or next match up and pay extra frees.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Lol it wasn’t like it was a secret. Gawn said he’s used to it cause it happens all the time.

It’s only cause it’s us that it was made a big deal of, cause we’re usually softcocks that let everyone do that sort of s**t to us.

Lycett & Paddy are a great combination. They are different styles at stoppages, so jus when the oppo ruckman is getting used to one of them, they then have to deal with a very different challenge from the other one.

As an added bonus, they are both dangerous as forwards when not rucking, especially Paddy.

First rule of targetting players. Dont talk about targeting players.

It always comes back to bite you on the arse when the umpires look out for it next week or next match up and pay extra frees.
Second rule, don't mention you can find $2,000 in your couch cushions. I'm thinking they should eventually reorder things so that becomes the first rule.

Lycett & Paddy are a great combination. They are different styles at stoppages, so jus when the oppo ruckman is getting used to one of them, they then have to deal with a very different challenge from the other one.

As an added bonus, they are both dangerous as forwards when not rucking, especially Paddy.
Lycett completely nullifies his opponent by counter playing them, though may eventually evolve into a dominant ruckman in his own right.

This is such a perfect compliment to Ryder who just plays his own game.

I’ve gotta say getting Lycett as a free agent was absolutely inspired stuff. Will have more impact in his first year than any other recruit has had for us in a long time.

Completely agree and that's why I was against people saying we overpaid for Lycett as a free agent. He's going to be hugely important for us this year and we've already seen the benefits of having two fit, top class ruckmen. Clubs with only one might just struggle a bit.
It’s quite amusing that before this game all we heard from footy experts was about losing two of our best players and would surely sink down the ladder ( not to mention the ongoing whinging from a few BF posters)
Now all of a sudden they are commenting on how well we have done with what we have actually brought into the team.
Even Wallace saying what a masterstroke it was to get Lycett and he can’t believe We got Burton.

Second week in a row that Jack Watts has played well in defence. Watts plays that tall defender role pretty well and at 195cm he matches up pretty well with the likes of Mc Govern, Franklin and Cameron. Dougal Howard has potential but I am not sure he is going to get a look in if Watts maintains his form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good play there .. Marshall ended up with the ball .. looked up kicked it to Hoff

It would have been a Marshall's goal... :)

----
P.S.: This plays also shows that our fitness was way superior to theirs. Melbourne's players are far from being physically ready. The game was close until they had legs. At that point, they were dead.

Their last goal was in the 8th minute of Q3. After that, we outscored them 5.7:37 to 0.2:2. We still kicked to many behinds for my liking, but, at this time of the season, I am not bothered by it - I will only if it becomes a trend.

Last edited:
Yes - great kick - just also noticed Boaks work up the wing - terrific effort
Every time I see it, I kind of wish there was no one there on the goal square. Marshall chips the ball as if he was playing with his brothers in the backyard.

I just imagine the ball going in, no big deal, from a "casual" kick outside the arc in R1 at the MCG - and the score was close then. It would have been awesome!

Nah...the pass to a teammate who is wide open is always better than the gloryhound of a running goal.

Nah...the pass to a teammate who is wide open is always better than the gloryhound of a running goal.
It would have been a pass to the GOAL UMPIRE who is wide open! :p

A belated and hearty congratulations on your win fellas.
You blokes were outstanding on Saturday. You were hungry, fast, skillful, committed and tough. When you combine all those ingredients you're going to win games of footy.
Jack Watts was brilliant and had a career turning/defining game (although he did have a few of them at MFC)
The 4 debutants were outstanding too. Looks like you nailed draft day.
Hinkley's coaching and strategies paid off last week and your club is lucky to have a coach of his ilk.
I know it's only one game but you will play finals this year.

With that being said, we were a disgrace on Saturday, pure and simple.

You could see Westhoff look back and realize if he let it go it would have been a goal, then shrug and say to himself 'its mine now!'
To me it was a time management thing. Run a minimum 30sec off the clock and at the same time give everyone a breather.
Tough and draining conditions.

The stats files: The other trick Port used to dismantle Dees
HAS PORT Adelaide unearthed the blueprint to banish the Demons?

Port ranked 15th, 14th and 13th over the past three seasons for average handballs and never racked up more than 161.1 per game in that period.
It was more of the same in the JLT Community Series, yet the Power super-charged their handball count to 195 at the MCG on Saturday and gained 406 metres in the process.
Both those figures ranked second for the round.
Hinkley's men had 72 more handballs and 93 extra uncontested possessions than the Dees, and played on from marks an AFL-most 54 per cent of the time, excluding in the forward 50.
Port Adelaide last had that many handballs in round 21, 2017 (199), while you have to go back further to find a Power side that matched the uncontested possession buffer (round 19, 2016) and mark, play on percentage (round 19, 2015).
More ..
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-26/the-stats-files-how-handballhappy-port-dismantled-the-demons
I was pleasantly surprised that even if the handball didn't quite the target they were at least put to our advantage and we could run on to them.

Back