Game Day Round 1, 2020: North Melbourne v St.Kilda *HILL 150TH, KING DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1584778699238.png
Round 01, 2020 - North Melbourne Vs. St Kilda
Sunday 22 March 2020 - 1.05 PM

1584778639243.png

The Saints with 6 new faces will be looking to start this uncertain season off strongly. Based on pre-season form and the significant changes that come with so many new faces around the club, there's no reason why we can't achieve that. Concerns are a potentially small backline considering both Carlisle and Battle have been left out of the side, but time will tell how we will stack up in the end.

1584797166434.png

Where and when: Marvel Stadium, Sunday March 22, 1.05pm AEDT

Last time they met: Blundstone Arena, round 16, 2019: North Melbourne 17.10 (112) beat St Kilda 11.7 (73)

TV and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for North Melbourne: The optimism about the Roos from last year has dissipated, in part because some stars had interrupted pre-seasons. However, almost all of them are ready to go, which makes Sunday's season-opener a chance to show the momentum can roll on.

What it means for St Kilda: Brett Ratten has a way of winning people over, and many are tipping a finals assault for his Saints. Pre-season hype counts for little once the real stuff starts, so they'll be looking to take an early scalp.

Last edited:

It's going to be a strange spectacle. The absence of partisan crowds should make games more equally balanced in theory, meaning there might be more upsets. As for today, I will tip Saints by around 18 points. A winning start is all the more important, given the next few fixtures.

May as well enjoy this game because I think it’s certain to be the last and first for a fair while. Looking at games played so far and knowing the games are 20% less game time the big difference even allowing for that is the same tackle counts. We must tackle today. I have no doubt the lack of crowds are the reason for this so if we lift our tackle count then we win this. Sounds silly but both sides are pretty even across the board so this could be the big difference Enjoy the game the vb and the dimmies and just win please.

It's going to be a strange spectacle. The absence of partisan crowds should make games more equally balanced in theory, meaning there might be more upsets. As for today, I will tip Saints by around 18 points. A winning start is all the more important, given the next few fixtures.

As long as the boys remember.

91909682-6C70-4776-A7AA-5797C7420A15.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that worried about Norths tall forwards as I am about the likes of Higgins, Zurhaar, Thomas and Zeibell. Maybe our desire to be more attacking and creative of the hbf through the use of Roberton, Clark and Long will expose us on the defensive side?

Will depend a lot on the two way running capacity of our mids which has not been a strength in recent times.

Saints by 27!!!

Right now, I am more excited for today than nervous. We had a very strong pre season and our side looks the strongest and most balanced it has for years.

The key of the game will be getting the ball out to Hill and Billings. Having two genuine wingers who can rack up the ball, use it well and be creative to damage opposition should trouble most opposition. If they can both get going, then we will be hard to beat most weeks.

My only slight worry is I think we are one key defender short since North have two genuine key forwards, and I dont love the idea of Wilkie or Roberton needing to lock down on one of them.

Predicting Marshall to kick 3 and be the dominant force on the ground. Steele with 9 tackles. And Hanners to turn back the clock with 30 disposals. Saints by 24.

We go in slight favourites due to North's interrupted pre season, but aside from that the sides look fairly even.

Going in with just the one key defender is obviously a risk. The pressure from our midfield will have to be through the roof. Hopefully we can cause a few turn overs and hit them hard on the rebound.

All signs point to us really taking the game on from half back, and attacking the corridor so it should at least be an exciting brand of footy.

Really important our small forwards show up today. That's been an area North have struggle with of late with opposition small forwards being able to get off the chain and not having Marley Williams adds to that. Huge opportunity for Lonie, Butler and Kent.

We need to at least break even in the contested stuff and try and get the ball in the hands of Hill and Billing as much as possible. I expect Steele will go to Cunnington but it sounds as though he'll be attacking the footy a lot more this year so that looks am interesting match up.

Lastly, I don't see them having a great match up for Membrey so here's hoping he can have a big game.

Saints by 8 points

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

May as well enjoy this game because I think it’s certain to be the last and first for a fair while. Looking at games played so far and knowing the games are 20% less game time the big difference even allowing for that is the same tackle counts. We must tackle today. I have no doubt the lack of crowds are the reason for this so if we lift our tackle count then we win this. Sounds silly but both sides are pretty even across the board so this could be the big difference Enjoy the game the vb and the dimmies and just win please.

I actually disagree, we can't beat North in a grind-out tackle fest. We have to get the ball moving and away from them. We have poor ball winners but a bit of run. North would love an arm wrestle. We would prefer keepings off.

I actually disagree, we can't beat North in a grind-out tackle fest. We have to get the ball moving and away from them. We have poor ball winners but a bit of run. North would love an arm wrestle. We would prefer keepings off.
I don’t want a tackle fest. I want us to tackle more than other sides have this round. North can tackle the same as other sides have this round. Not sure our skills are good enough for keepings off. You can still beat them with pace but tackle a lot

We have seen already this round the impact of no crowd had had on some teams. The different vibe has caused some pretty lacklustre starts.

If we start strong and use our pace (feels weird saying that) then I think we will be too good.

Saints by 17

Like the rest of you fellow Sainters I've been looking forward to this game for years! We have the strongest team we have fielded for a very long time, the critical factor being just how well they gel together. Obviously that will take time but nothing beats a win to accelerate that dynamic. Although these are the strangest of circumstances they affect all of us, so its a matter of who adapts to it better. We have some smart, clever and experienced players out there so I'm confident we can do the job.

Saints by about 18 points!

Game Day!! Bring it on

I'm nervous. North have been one of those teams that we should have beaten over the last couple of years but have not.

Have not forgotten this game:

That free kick in the ruck fired me up for weeks.

Watched the Saints play North down here in Hobart last year where they cut us up in the middle; especially Cunnington. Hopefully we have an answer to him and have more strength in the middle.

Looking for big games from Gresham, Hill, Howard, Marshall, King, Billings, Steele and Jones

Carn the Saints!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back