Autopsy Round 1, 2020: North Melbourne v St.Kilda *HILL 150TH, KING DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess the only positive is that when we were playing good (not great) we were up by 5 goals pretty comfortably.
I can’t remember the last time I saw a side just completely stop like we did, but if we play well we will win quite a few games.
The rain changed the nature of the game - turned it into a slogfest for a period which suited the more stable team.

1st game so its a bit hard to expect an effectively "new" team to not only implement a new game plan for the whole of a game, but then maintain or change it when the weather conditions changed as well.

As I said - right up until the last few minutes when I heard the news that WA and SA were closing their borders and I knew the season was gone, I was still very positive about the season ahead.

After that - well I've re-watched the first half - Hill's kicking is a thing of beauty, seeing very experienced defenders worry about a first gamer is great for us, Howard looks like a 10 year player, Butler was great and Jones looked like a long term replacement for Steven.

Yeah- it just didn't click..everyone was getting in each other's way I thought, and no focal point.
Spot on .There is a real problem with players flying against King and spoiling the champ .This was so obvious during the practice games too .
King a bit young yet to tel them all to F Off 25m out from goal .One glaring one was when Billings was standing in the hole and they stuffed each other up.

I would like Marsh to play Dunstan role I think he would be a much better option
Try something different, Dunstan not going to improve now

Last edited:
I don’t disagree but geary is captain so he plays. Anyway there was only one spot we lost it and it was the same spot that got us well ahead. The midfield was disgusting after half time. Cunnington was a star. 5 votes. Goldstein one vote.
Asides from the midfield, we also couldn't take Norths pressure in our backline and we're just trying to roost it out of there every time without trying to hit a target and reset. Then the times we did get it out of there, we often ended up with Kent, Jones or Dunstan getting the ball around wing to half forward where they would turn it over. Jones turnovers pissed me off because he had a handball option to a better kick on a few occasions he should have taken. Members also got it a few times but takes so long to get it going and will nearly always kick it long up the line. when we had opportunities we kicked points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad kicking = bad football. Had our chance to ice the game early; if even one of those early 3QT shots were on point then I think North's heads might have dropped and we'd get through.

Quite the reality check as to where we are at.
The thing is I doubt it’s any reality check. Most likely the last game of the year.

Bad kicking = bad football. Had our chance to ice the game early; if even one of those early 3QT shots were on point then I think North's heads might have dropped and we'd get through.

Quite the reality check as to where we are at.
Same as where we were last year pretenders. Bottom 6.

I still can't believe how we lost that game

Yep I'm still in shock, having to tolerate North Melb supporters is damn hard.

How far out was Marshall with his last shot, not his fault - we should not have been in the position after being 30 points up.

My concern was:

- Not being able to adapt game style from quick to contested (what North wanted), play through it and be confident and

- Why the f...k did we not tag Cunnington; I am still fired up about this.......if a nuffy like I could see his influence on the game being a factor surely the coaching panel could.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back