Preview Round 1: Bulldogs vs Fremantle, March 27 2016, Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys couldn't help but think about the impact Harley Bennell would of make on Sunday if he was playing!
He is an absolute gun of a player, and compared to the hype Geelong has received from the Dangerfield signing. I feel as if Bennell has been disrespected a bit from the media. Compared to when Dangerfield signed, there was hardly anything mentioned about Bennell going to Fremantle. And when he is at his best. He's literally a top 5 talent.
When is he supposed to be back from his calf complaint? Including him in your midfield must make you guys sleep better at night.

He is listed as TBC at the moment, so hopefully next week. But we seem to have had some bad luck with calf injuries, so they will probably rest him until he is 100%.

Big day for Tabs tomorrow - will have a huge size advantage on his opponent.

So relieved Weller made it through and that Clancee and de Boer are now solid backup. When we further bring in Bennell, Mora and Langdon by the end of the year we'll have had a serious facelift.
So what if Taberner has a good game?

I'm sure people will be turning it up and hyping him, but he should be beating opposition much shorter and much shitter. The guy is a unit. He's had four years in the system. Big whoop if he has a field day on some spud kid.

we might win?
Yeah maybe. But what happens when he's faced with a key defender his height, his weight?

It's a fine line between wanting to see Tabs be a wrecking ball of aggression and arrogant domination without him getting suspended for a reckless hero bump.
When have I ever advocated that? There's a dozen forwards better than him who can take a pack mark and have the confidence to stand up who don't get suspended every few weeks.

If you're talking about Jeremy Cameron FFS you'd give up your mod card to have him at Freo. If Taberner was that good, even a fourth as good, I'd be happy for him to even play 11 games if he's getting 30 goals out of them.

Yeah maybe. But what happens when he's faced with a key defender his height, his weight?

When have I ever advocated that? There's a dozen forwards better than him who can take a pack mark and have the confidence to stand up who don't get suspended every few weeks.

If you're talking about Jeremy Cameron FFS you'd give up your mod card to have him at Freo. If Taberner was that good, even a fourth as good, I'd be happy for him to even play 11 games if he's getting 30 goals out of them.
How many goals would he have to kick this year for you to be happy enough with his output?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he's the 13th best forward in the league.

I was speaking strictly for myself.

cross that bridge when you come to it. you can only deal with whats in front of you and as Vintage said perhaps it will help his confidence.
He's shown a remarkable ability to make exponential leaps in what he can do. He may still surprise you.

Dogs to be in the contest till half time could even lead by two three goals but Freo to run over them in the section half. Fyfe, Mundy to be to good in the middle, Weller to give us speed and precision, Walters to kick four and Clarke to show his athletic running ability.
Freo by three goals plus.

It looks like a fine balance with the Fremantle's key position players. 2 down back might look a bit slim because neither Dawson or Silvangi can be a rebound player like Johnson, so where lacking a bit there in balance (no disrespect to the those players and the role they'll play).

Up forward. 3 talls can be a bit too slow and heavy on Etihad, but if Clarke is over his knee and mobile it shouldn't be too bad. You wouldn't expect either Pavlich or Taberner to drop into the back line if say for example Fyfe moves forward to give us a more mobile target, but maybe at times Mayne could play back on one of their mobile medium sized key forwards.

Ideally you'd like a team where one of the key position players could swap from forward to back (swingman) during the game or if the 2nd tall forward, instead of the 3rd tall (Clarke) could also ruck.

Be interesting to see if the bench rotations are used for the midfielders or if Pavlich, Taberner, Griffin and Clarke rotate through one of the spots.

Peter Bell said on radio this morning that he thinks Fremantle will score more this year, but will also be scored more against, and that's the feeling I have going into this season - without having seen the real stuff. I was quite surprised to see the stats say that McPharlin actually played 18 games in the home and away in 2015 - i.e. in 15 of our 17 wins.

The way I see it, for the Bulldogs to win this, they just have to break even in the midfield - which still won't be as easy as it sounds.

It looks like a fine balance with the Fremantle's key position players. 2 down back might look a bit slim because neither Dawson or Silvangi can be a rebound player like Johnson, so where lacking a bit there in balance (no disrespect to the those players and the role they'll play).

Up forward. 3 talls can be a bit too slow and heavy on Etihad, but if Clarke is over his knee and mobile it shouldn't be too bad. You wouldn't expect either Pavlich or Taberner to drop into the back line if say for example Fyfe moves forward to give us a more mobile target, but maybe at times Mayne could play back on one of their mobile medium sized key forwards.

Ideally you'd like a team where one of the key position players could swap from forward to back (swingman) during the game or if the 2nd tall forward, instead of the 3rd tall (Clarke) could also ruck.

Be interesting to see if the bench rotations are used for the midfielders or if Pavlich, Taberner, Griffin and Clarke rotate through one of the spots.

Peter Bell said on radio this morning that he thinks Fremantle will score more this year, but will also be scored more against, and that's the feeling I have going into this season - without having seen the real stuff. I was quite surprised to see the stats say that McPharlin actually played 18 games in the home and away in 2015 - i.e. in 15 of our 17 wins.

The way I see it, for the Bulldogs to win this, they just have to break even in the midfield - which still won't be as easy as it sounds.

Which game has Mayne ever played in defence ? He is not a backman.

Which game has Mayne ever played in defence ? He is not a backman.

Not much. I'm not suggesting it. I'm saying he's the only one out of neccessity if you had an imbalance - but I don't really see him as the imbalance up forward. More so a problem with matching up down back on a variety of mobile forwards. My main concern is that three talls up forward may at times give Bulldogs too much rebound.

There was a derby when someone was injured and he played on Darling for a while, and from reports here and from interviews prior to last year, he trained a bit down back in pre-season - and played a bit half back in the colts.

He does drift back, but I'm suggesting that he has had one or two stints there during games as cover as recently as in the past 2 seasons. Not whole games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back