Oppo Camp Round 1, Non-Pies: And so it begins...

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as you don't want to admit it, he is a top line talent and physically ready to go year 1 for the most part.
Yeah good on the kid.

IMO if Tex and Lynch were fit and available to play, Fogs is in the SANFL.

Similar with Stephenson. If Elliott, DeGoey, Goldsack, Wells and Greenwood were available then doubt Stephenson would play Rd1.

Doesn’t mean either kid isn’t a talent and frankly don’t understand what I am not wanting to admit.

You clearly seem to take an interest in the junior comps, but if you think Fogs or Stephenson, or any of the early picks, were drafted for what they could produce in 2018 you are way off the mark.

Yeah good on the kid.

IMO if Tex and Lynch were fit and available to play, Fogs is in the SANFL.

Similar with Stephenson. If Elliott, DeGoey, Goldsack, Wells and Greenwood were available then doubt Stephenson would play Rd1.

Doesn’t mean either kid isn’t a talent and frankly don’t understand what I am not wanting to admit.

You clearly seem to take an interest in the junior comps, but if you think Fogs or Stephenson, or any of the early picks, were drafted for what they could produce in 2018 you are way off the mark.

I never said they were picked on what they could achieve year one, in fact don't know where you got that Idea from?

As for your post you are trying to play him down? for what reason to support Jayden when he isn't even under attack?

Most ready made talents play quite a lot of footy year one as part of their development, it is up to the club to determine where they are best served playing Sanfl/vfl or AFL.

Degoey, Moore etc all played very early as did Daisy, Pendles had to wait a bit but also broke into the senior teams and stayed there year 1.

I've also not knocked our picking of Stephenson over Fogarty, even if Fogarty was my preference, I also rated Stephenson as a player and given his attribute list (pace leap xfactor skill elite runner) can see why they would choose that route as we had a very one paced team. I think Stepho will be a great little player.

We also don't know there list strategy of what they think they can achieve in next years draft and trade periods which would also slightly impact on what player they pick.

Fogarty certainly would of helped our dearth in good young KP FWD prospects but it is what it is. My interest is purely just watching him develop hope he does well except against US. I'm looking forward to seeing how Jayden goes tonight but imo we wont see his real potential level for another 2-3 preseasons. 2018 is all about learing for him not much more to be expected but go out there have a crack an enjoy it show a bit of his xfactor here or there will please me.

Last edited:

Possibly.

I'm sure when recruiting the question of "who is most likely to debut in game 1 of season one" is at the absolute top of the list of clubs criteria.

And I'm sure i said that was a criteria like...er never...if a kid can impact from year one it is a bonus but not a criteria!

My post (which had nothing to do with being picked in the draft for year 1) was in response to Doppleganger trying to play down Fogarty as only getting a game by default because crows had no other options and not becuase he actually had performed as well as having that opportunity open for him.

It seem to me people are being ultra defensive because people liked Fog for our pick but no one has put the picking of Jayden down rather they just liked another player as well.

As for your post you are trying to play him down?
Absolutely.

Already a string of 'what could have been' posts...based off a mark and goal.

It is so Collingwood bigfooty board.

Pick 7 - Hunter Clark - debuts for the Saints this arvo, Pick 9 - Naughton - debuts for the Dogs tomorrow, if they take a mark or kick a goal do we get even more 'what could have been' posts?

Absolutely.

Pick 7 - Hunter Clark - debuts for the Saints this arvo, Pick 9 - Naughton - debuts for the Dogs tomorrow, if they take a mark or kick a goal do we get even more 'what could have been' posts?
At least he kicked a goal for the melts to start.
I remember last year or the year before Stewart took a mark and that was enough to set some people off :drunk:

Absolutely.

Just reaffirmed that what he could do in juniors he was capable of doing in seniors, just his ability to compete got his hands to it set up 2 goals from handballs to running players while being tackled, several cotensted marks that he brought to ground etc.

There was more to like then a mark and goal... from 55m no less! Not many in our team capable of that alone.

The what If posts come about because a few of us were already invested in him prior to draft and hoping to take him, its human nature.

He is only young and if he was a pie debutante you'd be singing his praises.

Why not respond to the whole post instead of cut paste an editing it?

At least he kicked a goal for the melts to start.
I remember last year or the year before Stewart took a mark and that was enough to set some people off :drunk:

Imagine if a debutante CHF pie player came steaming out of the 50m arc took a good mark and banged one home from 55m with his first kick in footy, place would be in raptures.

Imagine if a debutante CHF pie player came steaming out of the 50m arc took a good mark and banged one home from 55m with his first kick in footy, place would be in raptures.
I have no issue with that. Of course that is an exiting thing to see from a debutante.
It's the "what coulda beens" that make me laugh.
Fog has played one game and our boy has not even had a chance to show his stuff yet but some are already thinking we stuffed it up.

I have no issue with that. Of course that is an exiting thing to see from a debutante.
It's the "what coulda beens" that make me laugh.
Fog has played one game and our boy has not even had a chance to show his stuff yet but some are already thinking we stuffed it up.

Yeah people being way too defensive over those comments, mostly have commented that they see Stephenson also being a very good player in his own right but their preference prior to draft was Fogarty seeing him playing well on debut in a role we need would only reaffirm their pre draft opinions.

I was on the Fog train for a long time so hold an interest in how he goes, but I have also repeatedly stated we have a good player in Stepho and also can see why we went down that route.
As although we have more mids than you can poke a stick at he adds a dynamic that many of our mids lack in pace and xfactor to break open games.

Pies didn't get it wrong just made a different choice to what us amateur plebs would of.
We also do not know Hines/clubs vision for long term list strategy other then we know they are heavily perusing Lynch, this also could of played into the decision (not just Lynch but what draft/trade/FA prospects they think we will have access too).

That’s simply not true. We have a good mix of players and are well places for an excellent season.

A good mix? Come on Jmac. Look at our stock of players that could play Ruck/CHB/CHF.

Reid - 29, injury prone and well past his best. X
Dunn - 31 in May. Optimistically has two good years him. X
Cox - 27, a maybe, maybe not footballer. X
Grundy - Gun. Tick
Moore - Gun youngster. Tick.
McLarty - Shows plenty of potential. Might debut in 2018.
Lynch - Rookie listed and has a way to go before debuting, if he ever does. X

I could stretch that list out and have Howe in there, maybe even Goldsack and Mihocek, but in reality they're not key position defenders that could take on the gorilla forwards.

It's threadbare. And, to top it off, our two best key defenders (Reid and Dunn) have very little left in them. Imagine, with the Sack already down and out for 2018, if Reid gets injured again (a high probability) and Cox struggles (another probability). We're left with Mihocek and McLarty to fill the void.

In 2010, on an expanded list of 50 (compared to the 45 in 2018), we had 11 players who could play those roles of Ruck/CHB/CHF, 9 of whom played senior football in 2010.

Presti, Reid, N. Brown, Jolly, Cloke, Dawes, L.Brown, Wood, Fraser, Keeffe and McNamara.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was more to like then a mark and goal... from 55m no less! Not many in our team capable of that alone.

The what If posts come about because a few of us were already invested in him prior to draft and hoping to take him, its human nature.
The ‘what if’ posts were straight after his goal from outside 50.

But we won’t get ‘what if’ posts for Naughton or Clark becaus you didn’t rate them?

Turn it up.

He is only young and if he was a pie debutante you'd be singing his praises.
Yep, I try to find the good in young Pies players.

Why not respond to the whole post instead of cut paste an editing it?
Y take up space with filler?

I quote the section of a post I am replying to, multi quote if required, if the entire post warrants quoting I will do so.

The ‘what if’ posts were straight after his goal from outside 50.

But we won’t get ‘what if’ posts for Naughton or Clark becaus you didn’t rate them?

Turn it up.

Yep, I try to find the good in young Pies players.

Y take up space with filler?

I quote the section of a post I am replying to, multi quote if required, if the entire post warrants quoting I will do so.

Because there are points that should of been responded to which brings about some clarity to some of the posts, also you and Timmy went on a tangent about something I never said or implied and you are yet to respond to it.

And yes you wont see much from me on naughton or many others (because they don't relate to our pick from my personal preference), I was less enthused with Naughton at our pick but he will be a good defender for Dogs. With his kicking skills I didn't like him for where our list sits and its ability to hit targets across the board (adding one more hit and miss type would be crazy) : Look up my posting history i was dead against us at 6 with Naughton so I could care less how he goes at the dogs.

The comments around Fogarty come about because of my personal tracking on him, type of player (and dearth of said player at pies) and the fact we could of taken him and was who I wanted personally. Now he's not at the pies it is more interest in how he goes and a hint of jealousy.

It is separate to Jayden selection and I also was not "upset" we took Jayden, hell wish we had 2 top 10s to have them both! Jayden I have full faith in that he will be a very good player in time.

Because there are points that should of been responded to which brings about some clarity to some of the posts
Not really.

My post was a reply to an over the top comment about why he was in the team, nothing more nothing less.

And yes you wont see much from me on naughton or many others (because they don't relate to our pick from my personal preference).
I apologise for misreading the posting as ‘what ifs’ when instead it for you, not sure of others, it was a ‘told you so’.

Even more boring than a ‘what if’.

Play on.

Not really.

My post was a reply to an over the top comment about why he was in the team, nothing more nothing less.

I apologise for misreading the posting as ‘what ifs’ when instead it for you, not sure of others, it was a ‘told you so’.

Even more boring than a ‘what if’.

Play on.

Nope not even told you so. Read my other posts. I am not sour on picking Jayden at all and can see the reasoning behind it. Have actually repeatedly stated this.

Oh and over the weeks/games I have no doubt we will also comment on others, like Rayner LDU etc. even if they are unrelated to our pick.

Last edited:
Watching the Lions game.

Rayner has shown a bit in his first half. His set shot missed but it was a lovely looking long, natural kick.

Agree with J Brown's assessment... He looks really strong through his hips which will serve him well.

Watts and Motlop look good so far for Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back