Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles, Optus Stadium, Sunday March 20, 4:40pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to get the win in the end. A bit disappointed in Sharp, who popped his head up in the fourth quarter after not having seen him since the second quarter. Then again, we weren't really playing our run-and-gun style that really brings in the wingers. I wonder if the Eagles just shut that down really well?

When Witts went down I thought for sure it was his knee again. So thankful he got back up.

Just because we won, I hope Dew doesn't swing the axe as he's been known to do. We are still absolutely carrying some guys.
Ellis barely touched it too. They definitely shut our run down so not going to give Sharpy negative marks just yet

I am still in shock over that Rowell/ Rioli incident.
Not one commentator even mentioned that it was an extreme
front on contact that the umpire completely ignored. Also, the
last time I checked you can’t jump and make head high contact.
They talked about Rioli being tough, but what he did was just
a cowards act.
100%

Bowes got suspended for literally the same thing a few years ago

I can’t believe that Rowell’s career was almost ended by Rioli’s coward act tonight.

That should be a 6 match suspension, but the Eagles umpires refuse to even pay a free kick.

If that’s how 2022 is going to be umpired then a catastrophic injury is inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

a cowards act.

I'm still in shock that none of the Suns supporters here expressed any outrage over that incident when it happened.

You have nailed it with your comments. Well done:thumbsu:

How on earth the umpire turned a blind eye to it beggars belief.

Should have been a free and 50 meters to Rowell so a shot on the goal line to the Suns. Instead the Eagles swept it downfield and goaled at the other end.

Outrageous:mad:

Before this game people asked where our goals were going to come from. Now we have an answer - our forwards!

4 - Izak Rankine
2 - Ben Ainsworth
2 - Levi Casboult
2 - Mabior Chol
1 - Nick Holman
1 - Jack Lukosius

That's 12 of 16 goals from our forward. Very productive night for the forwards. The mids got involved too with a goal apiece - Miller, Davies, Sharp and Witts. Another positive - we kicked over 100 points.

a cowards act.

Rioli didn't even go for the ball. It was a jumping head high shirtfront 1970s style, but West Coast operate under different rules for some reason.

( well played GC )

Before this game people asked where our goals were going to come from. Now we have an answer - our forwards!

4 - Izak Rankine
2 - Ben Ainsworth
2 - Levi Casboult
2 - Mabior Chol
1 - Nick Holman
1 - Jack Lukosius

That's 12 of 16 goals from our forward. Very productive night for the forwards. The mids got involved too with a goal apiece - Miller, Davies, Sharp and Witts. Another positive - we kicked over 100 points.
We need that spread of kickers each week. Then someone just has a day out (like Rankine today) and we win most games with a 90+ score.

Rowell was unbelievable tonight!! What a weapon and getting up after what Rioli did to him was insane.

Loved Ranks too 23 touches and 4 goals very solid.

Flanders must be sitting at home watching Darcy and just shaking his head in disbelief that he cant get a run.

We need that spread of kickers each week. Then someone just has a day out (like Rankine today) and we win most games with a 90+ score.
Same thing happened in the Geelong preseason game when Ainsworth kicked 3 goals in the 4th quarter (4 goals total). The game was in the balance a few minutes into the 4th quarter when we led by just 3 points and Ainsworth stepped up to kick the next 3 goals of the game and essentially win it for us.

The talls will do what they do each week but we need at least one of the smalls to step up and kick 3+ for us to win IMO. Luckily we have a few very capable smalls in Rankine, Ainsworth, Holman and Sexton. We can probably add Elijah Hollands to that list later in the season as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowell was unbelievable tonight!! What a weapon and getting up after what Rioli did to him was insane.

Loved Ranks too 23 touches and 4 goals very solid.

Flanders must be sitting at home watching Darcy and just shaking his head in disbelief that he cant get a run.
Fair to say Rowell just picked up another 3 Brownlow votes - 33 disposals, 9 clearances, 6 tackles and probably multiple inside 50 entries.

Touk should also be in the Brownlow votes with his 29 disposals, 8 clearances, 5 tackles and multiple inside 50 entries.

Rankine was very good as well with 4 goals and 23 disposals.

There's some seriously good young talent coming through the AFL right now-the next generation
I was watching Tom Green for GWS yesterday feeling a bit glum because I wondered if I was looking at what Rowelly might have been before his injuries
Then BAM!!!!
Matt just says "Did you forgettabout me?"

Somewhat disappointed considering their outs. Terrible first half but was always going to get better as the game went on due to them playing essentially a reserves teams.
Although I think there was some massive positives.
Witt’s smash Nic Nait (number one champion data rated player, righto) in is first game post acl
Rowell is back in a big way.
Rankine shut a few people up.

Negatives
Anderson looked like he had lead feet in that first half, luckily came good though.
They took the run out of our game in the first half.
Eagles just seemed really effective each time they went forward, which really surprised me cause I rate our backline

Although I don’t think we’ll win next week, I do think we can play a lot better than we did tonight and really take it to Melbourne as long as we don’t s**t the bed in the first half again.

I'm still in shock that none of the Suns supporters here expressed any outrage over that incident when it happened.

You have nailed it with your comments. Well done:thumbsu:

How on earth the umpire turned a blind eye to it beggars belief.

Should have been a free and 50 meters to Rowell so a shot on the goal line to the Suns. Instead the Eagles swept it downfield and goaled at the other end.

Outrageous:mad:
We've become used to one way traffic when it comes to the tribunal and reportable offences unfortunately
Hopefully the Club will make some calls

How good was it to see Witts back out there. Having a ruck again is huge! He took it right up to Nic Nat. The commentators were talking about Nic Nat all night and how impressive he was—mate, he didn’t even dominate a bloke who has had 12 months out with an ACL…

Witts helped our mids dominate the clearances at key moments. Hopefully they only get better as a unit!

Rowell (33) and Miller (29) were immense. Fiorini was solid with 24. Anderson looked a little off but still got 23. I feel like Anderson could hit the scoreboard if he backs himself though. But overall, can’t complain. Will need them to be at their best next week to stand a chance.

Damn bloody exhausted.

What a game by the boys, clearly not making the most of it first half and kept playing the eagles way (bombing it down the line to their players)

But thank god we started to turn one on led by Anderson in that second half.

Rowell was amazing and defenders don't get much love but Charlie Ballard was amazing.

Sorry for the intrusion

But gee whiz, you guys have a gem in Alex Davies! Do you guys see him locking down a more permanent role in the midfield later in the season?
Yep, Hugh Greenwood replacement. Mix of Forward and midfield to get his tank and speed up. Best 22 100%

Remove this Banner Ad

Back