Autopsy Round 10, 2021: Hawks get beat by Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you suggesting we trade him? He's 28 and coming off a busted leg. We'd get a pick around 20 for him. We're better off keeping.

Not if he is going to be totally unaccountable the entire time, while asking for handball receives in the back pocket or thereabouts, only to just hack it around the body because he's always stationary when he asks for these handball receives and is then under immediate pressure (he ain't Ablett Jr who could kick with his run around stat padding) - for his good work he undid most of it with this crap that actually takes away our forward momentum chasing stats - while his man is where?

He needs to get the eff out of there and let the Impy's, Scrims, Days, etc etc get the receive while he effing shepherds and/or drags his opponent somewhere else to make space for the runners.

This is not acceptable. It's not the Mitchell football club- it's a team game and he ain't playing team footy - It's selfish play.

Last edited:
I have to say I love Clarko's circumspection and philosophical attitude towards this down period we're going through. Obviously we don't know what's going on behind closed doors at the club, and even less about what's going on in that brain of his, but to me he sounds like he's ready for the fight, ready for the long, uphill climb out of the doldrums we are currently in. Even though we're at an extraordinarily low ebb right now, I still think he's the man to lead us out and up. He's still a sharp, critical and analytical thinker, he still has a monumental football brain. We have to give him a third crack at lifting us to 'silverware'.

Of course, if he decides/has decided to move on (he is immensely employable), we accept that and move on ourselves.

I’m hearing you brother (sorry if it’s sister). Very frustrating supporting us at the moment but I find the criticism of Mitchell a bit surprising and a little over the top. The guy is coming back from a massive leg injury and is just starting to clunk through the gears with a body that has had to learn not be timid. He is a workhorse amassing a stack of possession and then having to deliver the pill to a bunch of young bucks running around like a bunch of headless chooks (enough animal metaphors?). Mitchell’s disposal count will be more efficient when our emerging young talent (🤣) improves around him. Opposition players might then have more than two Hawthorn players to think about shutting down every week.
Opposition let Mitchell run around every week knowing he won’t do damage around the ground. They want us to play through him.

Worps 3rd qtr alone got curnow moved onto him.

Opposition let Mitchell run around every week knowing he won’t do damage around the ground. They want us to play through him.

Worps 3rd qtr alone got curnow moved onto him.
With TOM you let him get it ,because you arent going to beat him at that game, then just sweat on the guy about to receive the handball

Not if he is going to be totally unaccountable the entire time, while asking for handball receives in the back pocket or thereabouts, only to just hack it around the body because he's always stationary when he asks for these handball receives and is then under immediate pressure (he ain't Ablett Jr who could kick with his run around stat padding) - for his good work he undid most of it with this crap that actually takes away our forward momentum chasing stats - while his man is where?

He needs to get the eff out of there and let the Impy's, Scrims, Days, etc etc get the receive while he effing shepherds and/or drags his opponent somewhere else to make space for the runners.

This is not acceptable. It's not the Mitchell football club- it's a team game and he ain't playing team footy - It's selfish play.
He had 16 contested possessions and 8 clearances. His inside work was better than Walsh's, and the footy world were flogging themselves over his performance.
I'll say it again, we'd be worse off without Tom, and the pick you'd get would be a net loss. No one is giving up a top 10 pick. Move on.

He leads the club in score involvements. He isn’t as good as his Brownlow year but the guy is busting his arse for the club and is a full field player. You are just ignoring all the good he does.

When you consider the fact that all of our first 5 behinds were either touched on the line or hit the post, It could have* been Carlton playing catch up for the rest of the match instead of us. Swings and roundabouts.

*this is English for "could of"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had 16 contested possessions and 8 clearances. His inside work was better than Walsh's, and the footy world were flogging themselves over his performance.
I'll say it again, we'd be worse off without Tom, and the pick you'd get would be a net loss. No one is giving up a top 10 pick. Move on.
It's now got nothing at all to do with what we'd get, and everything to do with moving the club forward and the team.

Pick 20 and let Worpel go back to his role - take it.

Mitchell is 28 so won't change now, yes he's great as a pure centreman, but if he can't stop himself from chasing stats, in other words sacrifice part of his game for the TEAM, by running to where the ball ain't to open up space for the runners and/or lay some shepherds then it just contuines to be the Tom Mitchell football club, at the expense of the side and other players. Fixing this up is worth more then any effing draft pick ever will be, but if he can't and we can't fix it then he can get his 40 possies elsewhere while O'Meara, Worpel and others share the load as a team that are also accountable.

He leads the club in score involvements. He isn’t as good as his Brownlow year but the guy is busting his arse for the club and is a full field player. You are just ignoring all the good he does.
Here we go stats - I don't bother with people whose first line of attack is stats - footy is footy not stats. How many Brownlow medalist are there from utter s**t teams and clubs? It's a meaningless award pretty much because the best possie winner in a s**t team is going to get the votes. Stats pffft ........

I've also never said he's not busting his arse, so go put words in someone else mouth mate - but maybe he needs to bust it unselfishly by creating space around the ground for the few skilled players we have, rather then clogging it up.

I'm not ignoring anything buddy. He's 28 he ain't gonna get better and it's about where we are now, not when he won a brownlow. Do you think he's helping Worps or hindering ? This about team balance mate, not stats and one man.

Ollie needs to cut his hair, makes him an easy target.

At least the things he needs to improve can be taught. Others in the side have physical limitations that will never be overcome.

You don't have to like him - just name his replacement?
I think the point being made is if we are going to become a contending team then Frost needs replacement.

The fact we are no where near contending means there are at present no better options on our list that anyone can name. Both of you are making the same point.

Agree. How can we be so critical of somebody with so many contested possessions and clearances? Crazy stuff.

Mitchell was very good. Was it the most damaging 40+ possession game we have seen? Of course not. But he was still comfortably our best player out there. His work rate yesterday was awesome.

I remain of the view that he or O’Meara should be traded and performances like yesterday will increase his trade value if he can produce more of them.

Hartigan cops plenty but did an excellent job on the Coleman medal leader

He leads the club in score involvements.
Anybody with half a brain has to be laughing at this stat as your first point - I tell you what mate, if the player who gets the most possies in the side week in week out isn't leading the club in score involvements then by christ we're in huge troubles.

Just maybe half his possies and give the other half to our skilled runners (the few we have) and the side would be better immediately. But that is up to Tom himself to do that, more so then the coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back