Autopsy Round 11 - Adelaide Crows vs GWS Giants, Sun 3rd June 2018, Adelaide oval, 4.10pm ACST

Remove this Banner Ad

That article seems to indicate what I believed, that Cameron has a good relationship with the players and losing him may impact many of them. On the other hand there is obviously something "wrong" with some game day decisions and our game plan. When you have talent like GWS does you don't turn them into defensive grunts that you can hire for $50 a dozen from anywhere. USE THE TALENT. RELEASE THE KRAKEN Cameron and co.
How would you suggest he use Said talent differently?

How would you suggest he use Said talent differently?

Talented players have instincts on what to do and many if "over coached" perform a lot worse than they would otherwise. Essentially I am saying back in the players more, play a more attacking style that is not only attractive and will win us supporters, it will win us games. I want to see us break teams the way we did in 2016, by showing them we are faster, tougher and more accurate. Put the fear of a dynasty into the opposition.

Talented players have instincts on what to do and many if "over coached" perform a lot worse than they would otherwise. Essentially I am saying back in the players more, play a more attacking style that is not only attractive and will win us supporters, it will win us games. I want to see us break teams the way we did in 2016, by showing them we are faster, tougher and more accurate. Put the fear of a dynasty into the opposition.
That doesn't really answer my question. When you say we are over coached, what do you mean? Im curious as Leon has come under scrutiny for his coaching on this board recently.

And when you say attractive football... do you mean the style we played on Sunday?

That doesn't really answer my question. When you say we are over coached, what do you mean? Im curious as Leon has come under scrutiny for his coaching on this board recently.

It is obvious that the 2016 gameplan we had was changed due to "our players only run one way" criticism from the media. Over coaching in this case means trying to tell players who have good instincts how to be more defensive, giving them a set of instructions to follow instead of their quicker instincts which resulted in us crushing teams with smooth flowing sexy football.

We went from 16 goals per game average in 2016 to 13 goals in 2017 to 10.5 goals in 2018.

And when you say attractive football... do you mean the style we played on Sunday?

The style we played on Sunday wasn't that attractive, it was a good game overall to watch due to the competition and fact both teams fought it out hard. Which for us, our players fighting the whole game hard is something they haven't done in a while.

It is obvious that the 2016 gameplan we had was changed due to "our players only run one way" criticism from the media. Over coaching in this case means trying to tell players who have good instincts how to be more defensive, giving them a set of instructions to follow instead of their quicker instincts which resulted in us crushing teams with smooth flowing sexy football.

We went from 16 goals per game average in 2016 to 13 goals in 2017 to 10.5 goals in 2018.

The style we played on Sunday wasn't that attractive, it was a good game overall to watch due to the competition and fact both teams fought it out hard. Which for us, our players fighting the whole game hard is something they haven't done in a while.
So you mean the orange tsunami

How have u lads seen Lobbs form as the no.1 ruck and do u reckon he will stick being no.1?

Also how has Haynes been tracking recently?
Lobb has only really had a few games in that position. The injury against the swans meant that when he returned he played very little ruck time. He played there on Sunday and probably drew even wth Jacobs (hitouts were close, Jacobs more possessions but Lobb a few contested marks and a goal). I think the non selection of Simpson means the club is prioritising a mobile ruck and will back him in.

He is still young and has more upside to be found

AKA the run n gun
Ive said this before but there is a reason we don't do that anymore. It worked wonders and was effective for a time but clubs figured us out. They started pressuring the options rather the ball player knowing that they only need to catch one handball out or pressure enough for an error to cause a turnover. If we turned the ball over in that situation we end up with all of our mids the wrong side of the ball as they ran forward. In that instance we regularly conceded.

So we had to evolve.

I liked the way on Sunday we engaged in contested ball. We used our skillsets to beat them around the contest. Leon alluded in the pre season that we needed to adjust our style of play to be able to compete with teams in finals football. Sunday might have been that new iteration clicking in perhaps

Ive said this before but there is a reason we don't do that anymore. It worked wonders and was effective for a time but clubs figured us out. They started pressuring the options rather the ball player knowing that they only need to catch one handball out or pressure enough for an error to cause a turnover. If we turned the ball over in that situation we end up with all of our mids the wrong side of the ball as they ran forward. In that instance we regularly conceded.

Well said. I've complained about our problems with ball pressure in the past but this is the best explanation of why we have issues I've seen. Yes, technically tackling the player before he takes possession is illegal but it's never called and it almost inevitably causes a spill of the ball - with half of our midfield running forward of the ball (as part of the tsunami) we can't recover. It also caused the lamenting of our defensive running when realistically the problem was that we were significantly out of position.

We've since had some success with the powerful outside running to provide uncontested options but that's been negated this year by injuries.

Well said. I've complained about our problems with ball pressure in the past but this is the best explanation of why we have issues I've seen. Yes, technically tackling the player before he takes possession is illegal but it's never called and it almost inevitably causes a spill of the ball - with half of our midfield running forward of the ball (as part of the tsunami) we can't recover. It also caused the lamenting of our defensive running when realistically the problem was that we were significantly out of position.

We've since had some success with the powerful outside running to provide uncontested options but that's been negated this year by injuries.
I agree the outside run has suffered as a result of injury and positional changes. The running game we used to make a mark and image is still there, its just different.

The brand we played on sunday wasnt as pretty as criss crossing handballs launched off the halfback line but I think it would hold up much better in a tight cauldron environment (actually...that WAS that environment and it DID hold up)

Im looking forward to saturday mainly to see if this is a plan clicking in or a flash in the pan

Honestly I can't really remember the game style from last weekend - I was too busy peeking between fingers, waiting for us to collapse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back