Review Round 11 = Fremantle 75-75 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be honest, I tipped Freo. But that was a choke.

Some positives Richards was good again and Harrison may have just earned himself a rising star nomination.

Nude nut umpire giving that free kick though. Technically there yes but you were behind Sullivan with the ball you *******.
It was not a choke. Some people seem to think the opposition have no right to come back when they are behind. Our young boys were out on their feet and some of those final plays were decided by a matter of centimetres with attempted smothers and contests for the pill. We maintained our desperation till the end, and they got a big wave of momentum which happens all the time in footy. Look at the way we've come back and won when five or six goals down early in games. Did the opposition choke or did we play our way back into the games?

You guys were robbed. Umpire Nichols obviously was annoyed at Sidebottom 3 minutes earlier so he pulled rank next chance he got:

Square up for the umpires taking a win from Freo and giving it to Carltank earlier in the season.

Matt Nicholls BOG. Had his feelings hurt because the players were putting the ball on the ground every time a ball up was called so he decides to ping us suddenly 15m out, directly in front.

ARC suddenly doesn't work when Quaynor clearly gets a touch on a kick for goal.

Our last 10 minutes but, by God it was awful. We went into our 2 minute defensive drill when we were 4 goals up and we were punished for it.
What was awful? A couple of lovely snaps from Freo players under great pressure and a mini run on with the home crowd roaring while we have five kids with less than three games experience? We still attacked and had two or three good chances. The story that we went completely defensive is not true. It looked nothing like the Hawthorn game which they blew. That was a defensive mindset on display..

Our players reluctant to be interviewed in the rooms afterwards or have Channel 7 decided that Freo in fact won?
They couldn’t find a player to interview on abc radio either

18.13 OTHER (d) Time wasting.

That is what is was paid for. Ridiculous decision.

There is no rule that states the umpire is to be directly handed the ball.
Its not (d)
It’s 18.13 (b)
A field Umpire shall award a Free against a player who:
hands ball to another player

We should be awarding a Free against Nicholls old man for not wearing a condom !!!! 😝😝😝

But lucky to get the 2 points against the bombers
At one stage the bombers were rattled, but we just couldn’t get the goal needed to put them away. Had multiple chances to win both draws and should have

Should not have drawn that game.
Schulz is useless. That shot could have iced the game, but instead he misses from 20 out no pressure. Shown nothing all year. Piss weak.
What a crap statement. It was a high-pressured snap. I reckon the ball had gone out and it caught him by surprise when the hand pass was drilled at him. No pressure? Nick was under less pressure when he hit the post. Was that piss weak?
I think your kind of support is piss weak. You can express disappointment or focus on mistakes made but calling players piss weak and useless is rubbish from a so called supporter.

And then we will jump right back in when we regain some players. I still think we are a chance to beat the Dogs and Melbourne even with our injuries. The young kids have been a revelation and Reef and hopefully DeGoey are back in next week.

DeGoey and now Checkers have both failed to get through their comeback games. I reckon that will worry our rehab staff and they’ll be extra cautious second time around. I doubt we see either until after the bye.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Its not (d)
It’s 18.13 (b)
A field Umpire shall award a Free against a player who:
hands ball to another player

We should be awarding a Free against Nicholls old man for not wearing a condom !!!! 😝😝😝
(a) refers to throwing (b) handing the ball (c) is about bouncing

I don’t think (b) is what applies to the incident as it seems to refer to when the ball is in play, not when play has stopped such as this incident.

Haven’t given up on Schultz yet, but I do wonder if the deal would be made had we known the improvement Richards would make and impact Sullivan has had.

If you can get everyone on the park it looks like you will play Prelims at least. The ongoing close game record shouldn't last, but you guys are so well drilled and clean that maybe it will. Loved McCrae's post game presser.

Some thoughts on free kicks, and I hope this isn't received with anger,, here goes. The free at the end of the first quarter when your defender initiated contact 90m off the ball, and you got a kick from 40ish out that results in a goal...

Daicos with at least 3 centre clearances that were clear throws, bad enough that even the vic commentators mentioned it. Two of those became scores. Everyone misses some of the handball/throws that are all the rage now. His were open side to the ump 25m away and obvious, and nothing, except another centre clearance. Brilliant player though. Love watching him when we aren't your opponents. He and his brother will dominante for another ten years. Lucky bastards!

Josh Daicos, not paid deliberate when he could have kicked anywhere on the ground but Serong paid deliberate for a volley out of the air...

All of this and we were the younger, less experienced team and you could still have won if Crisp kicked a sitter in the forward pocket in the first. N Daicos missed 2 sitters, by his standards goals that I expect someone of his class to kick with his eyes closed. And there was the Mihoceck (brilliant tonight - hope he comes good quick) miss of Hill running into open goal and another player hitting the post running from 35-40m out that you guys normally nail. And Lachie had more time than he thought and missed from 15m out.

I thought the incident in the last quarter (one of five goals by us that quarter, and we still needed to score again twice), was a 50/50 call. It looked to me like he looked at the ump, the ump was motioning for the ball and he threw to Daicos. I am surprised a call like that went our way, and think he knew what he was doing. Only because you guys are so thoroughly coached and professional about every advantage you can get. I don't know conclusively if he was wasting time, I also don't think anyone here does either.

Anyway, hope the injuries sort themselves out and don't impact September too much. That sucks for any team and especially one in the window. Good luck next week!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can get everyone on the park it looks like you will play Prelims at least. The ongoing close game record shouldn't last, but you guys are so well drilled and clean that maybe it will. Loved McCrae's post game presser.

Some thoughts on free kicks, and I hope this isn't received with anger,, here goes. The free at the end of the first quarter when your defender initiated contact 90m off the ball, and you got a kick from 40ish out that results in a goal...

Daicos with at least 3 centre clearances that were clear throws, bad enough that even the vic commentators mentioned it. Two of those became scores. Everyone misses some of the handball/throws that are all the rage now. His were open side to the ump 25m away and obvious, and nothing, except another centre clearance. Brilliant player though. Love watching him when we aren't your opponents. He and his brother will dominante for another ten years. Lucky bastards!

Josh Daicos, not paid deliberate when he could have kicked anywhere on the ground but Serong paid deliberate for a volley out of the air...

All of this and we were the younger, less experienced team and you could still have won if Crisp kicked a sitter in the forward pocket in the first. N Daicos missed 2 sitters, by his standards goals that I expect someone of his class to kick with his eyes closed. And there was the Mihoceck (brilliant tonight - hope he comes good quick) miss of Hill running into open goal and another player hitting the post running from 35-40m out that you guys normally nail. And Lachie had more time than he thought and missed from 15m out.

I thought the incident in the last quarter (one of five goals by us that quarter, and we still needed to score again twice), was a 50/50 call. It looked to me like he looked at the ump, the ump was motioning for the ball and he threw to Daicos. I am surprised a call like that went our way, and think he knew what he was doing. Only because you guys are so thoroughly coached and professional about every advantage you can get. I don't know conclusively if he was wasting time, I also don't think anyone here does either.

Anyway, hope the injuries sort themselves out and don't impact September too much. That sucks for any team and especially one in the window. Good luck next week!
Lol okie dokie.

I went tonight and I am struggling to watch our game anymore. It has turned into netball and all about the umpiring. I said to my son in the 1st quarter that Umpire No:26 will determine this game and that he did. He made some absolute ridiculous calls tonight. Some when he wasn't even near the play. You could just see he was on a mission to over rule and make a statement out there. I can't believe these guys aren't accountable for their actions or lack of ability.

We were given no chance, undermanned, massive injury list, half the team out, playing away, 6 day break and got 2 points.

Happy with the boys effort today at a packed Optus Stadium. Like the Essendon draw exactly a month ago, we started slowly tonight. The cavalry should be back in the next few weeks

He didn’t look at the ump. He didn’t look at anyone as he was concentrating and in his own head.

Haven’t given up on Schultz yet, but I do wonder if the deal would be made had we known the improvement Richards would make and impact Sullivan has had.

From the few games I have watched, including tonight, he has at times been moved to positions i haven't seen him play. Tonight he looked like he was playing Key position at times due to the injuries.

He is a touch and contact player. He was great for us when he got going early in games with some tackles and early possessions. I would be very surprised if he didn't come good for you.

The other question I have with your injuries is, how often is he playing with the same group? Sometimes it takes a bit to adjust and longer if the players around him keep changing. Anyway, I am a fan of his, he hasn't got the class of Hill but he has a lot of other attributes in spades.

I don’t think (b) is what applies to the incident as it seems to refer to when the ball is in play, not when play has stopped such as this incident.
Yep...(b) is about an in play situation.

As if (a) or (b) were to be applied post stoppage and umpire whistle, then everytime a player throws the ball back to the umpire it is a free kick as they throw the ball back.

It could be a ridiculous interpretation of 18.8.2 (f) about intentionally stopping an umpire performing their duty.

AFL will tick it off, but it each rule has a spirit and intent section.

18.8.1 Spirit and Intention
Umpires shall be protected from unreasonable contact and behaviour whilst performing
their duties and their decisions should be respected and followed by Players and Officials.

Clearly, nothing Sully did was unrrasonable and there was no time wasting.

Just an umpire on a power trip, he should be sent to the WAFL.

Screenshot_20240525_010244_Drive.jpg

It looked like Sullivan had his back to the umpire. I don’t think he looked at him. Also the high tackle by Quaynor that lead to the final point looked like a howler too. Certainly when the game was on the line the flow of decisions went against us and helped turn the tide of the match.

you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. the umpire knew 100% he wasn't time wasting (nor could he be time wasting) cos he'd already blown 'time on' as Sullivan still has the ball & is picking himself up off the ground.

Not handing the ball to the boundary umpire does get a mention curiously enough, but the field umpire doesn't seem to be specifically mentioned in the rules when it comes to handing the ball back:
1716563513147.png

It looked like Sullivan had his back to the umpire. I don’t think he looked at him. Also the high tackle by Quaynor that lead to the final point looked like a howler too. Certainly when the game was on the line the flow of decisions went against us and helped turn the tide of the match.

Slow it down and look again, he looks over his shoulder, anyway I said it was 50/50 and was surpised we got the call.

The Quaynor one was clearly there. More so than the Jackson one in the ruck.

No one saying anything about the one paid against Amiss that gifted a goal in the first? Goal for a goal on howler decisions.

Daicos not being paid deliberate when we were pressing also went your way.

Yep...(b) is about an in play situation.

As if (a) or (b) were to be applied post stoppage and umpire whistle, then everytime a player throws the ball back to the umpire it is a free kick as they throw the ball back.

It could be a ridiculous interpretation of 18.8.2 (f) about intentionally stopping an umpire performing their duty.

AFL will tick it off, but it each rule has a spirit and intent section.

18.8.1 Spirit and Intention
Umpires shall be protected from unreasonable contact and behaviour whilst performing
their duties and their decisions should be respected and followed by Players and Officials.

Clearly, nothing Sully did was unrrasonable and there was no time wasting.

Just an umpire on a power trip, he should be sent to the WAFL.

View attachment 1999596
Looks like 18.8e to me. But I guess that rule means the umpires can command a player to do a jig or get a free kick awarded against them. It's a bit arbitrary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back