Preview Round 12, Carlton vs GWS Giants, Sunday 11th June, 3.20pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

U serious..?? he had the ball just outside 50m & trailing by just 1 pt...
Any logical player would have a pop with a min left

That's right.

Normally, plonking the ball a few metres out from the goal line is the worst result because it's an easy rushed behind - unless you're down by one point with 50 secs on the clock and then it's the obvious play!

Going to enjoy the win, might not get too many in the future against you guys, especially if some of your team start playing like one instead of trying to be the hero. Reckon we caught you at the right time, expect you will finish the season better with some returning bodies that are more AFL ready.

Thanks for the banter through the week, it was good to meet some supporters from other clubs that are tolerable.
Well done mate

Exciting night to be a blues fan. The close wins are so exciting when the siren goes.

We have had a few this year.

You guys llayed out of your skins today and enjoyed the win

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

U serious..?? he had the ball just outside 50m & trailing by just 1 pt...
Any logical player would have a pop with a min left

yes I'm very *ing serious

and I'm not talking about that...

Did you see him NOT pop the handball over the top to win the game

Do you watch the way he takes a mark and immediately turns his back and never looks what's on offer...
Love the confidence, don't get me wrong but I don't care who you are, you should look what's on.

I really like him and think he's a great player but it just sometimes seems like there's a little of me me me there.

That's right.

Normally, plonking the ball a few metres out from the goal line is the worst result because it's an easy rushed behind - unless you're down by one point with 50 secs on the clock and then it's the obvious play!

I thought it was a pretty good option and good kick...not sure why people laying into him for it.

If Shaw was actually looking at him like he should have been, he probably marks it and gets a clear shot on goal...which is much better than a high kick to a huge pack at the top of the goalsquare. If anyone should be getting some flak it's Shaw.

yes I'm very ruddy serious

Do you watch the way he takes a mark and immediately turns his back and never looks what's on offer...
Love the confidence, don't get me wrong but I don't care who you are, you should look what's on.

I really like him and think he's a great player but it just sometimes seems like there's a little of me me me there.
May seem it. But he is one of the most team orientated blokes in the club.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I thought it was a pretty good option and good kick...not sure why people laying into him for it.

If Shaw was actually looking at him like he should have been, he probably marks it and gets a clear shot on goal...which is much better than a high kick to a huge pack at the top of the goalsquare. If anyone should be getting some flak it's Shaw.
Guys this is the Giants board. If your not a Giants supporter and want to discuss which of our players deserves criticism, take it elsewhere. Your starting to piss me off. Show some respect.

yeah I'm not suprised, you would know better...
I'm just going on what i have observed in a few games I've seen.
Glad to be wrong.
Just remember these supposed superstars are still "kids" who due to our growth had to grow up very quickly.

Expecting them to be perfect like an experienced player is pushing it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

yes I'm very ruddy serious

"...ruddy"?? Are you Bill Oddie from The Goodies circa 1973??

Who uses that term? You Mexicans are weird.

It absolutely will and has. I can recall the "should have been 50m to Scully" in last year's prelim as a glaring example and I reckon fans of every team can pull out a similar example of their's. Umpires put the whistle away in a close game late and the game is worse for it, because a non-decision is less likely to cause backlash than a decision regardless of the scenario.

Easy problem to point out, very hard to solve. True conundrum.
I still don't think someone could receive less backlash for a non-decision than an actual decision.
If Carlton lost today after watching that last 2 minutes I would have been absolutely livid and I'm just a neutral fan watching trying (keyword "trying") to enjoy the football!
its a simple state of affairs.. if its there... pay it. simple.

Its been said a million times over but the umpires need a more professional program/pathway and need to be made full time. this is a serious business and we thus need to treat all aspects with the seriousness it deserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardly a percentage kick spotting someone up on the boundary, also Toby's best effort was going to land near the goal line, maybe a few metres out, not at the edge of the goal square.

Nine out of ten times he'd have wheeled around onto his right and got a few extra metres to bomb it to the goal line, 90% chance of at least levelling the scores. On the other side of the ground, he was only slightly closer in when he hit the goal post mid height.

Guys this is the Giants board. If your not a Giants supporter and want to discuss which of our players deserves criticism, take it elsewhere. Your starting to piss me off. Show some respect.

sober up.. this is BIGFooty..:huh:
it aint your "safe space" is it?

How often is it that we get a Port fan come in here and vomit on himself? Rack off mate.
Interesting joined yesterday and posted on our board more than anywhere else, claims to lecture me on BF etiquette.
Mmmmmm

Great game today, best of luck for the rest of the season, think you'll steam roll the next few clubs you play after the bye... Oh and those bemoaning the umpires, we are too so I definitely don't think there was a particular bias. I think it was just an absolutely atrocious display from the yellow team.

Easy problem to point out, very hard to solve. True conundrum.
I still don't think someone could receive less backlash for a non-decision than an actual decision.
If Carlton lost today after watching that last 2 minutes I would have been absolutely livid and I'm just a neutral fan watching trying (keyword "trying") to enjoy the football!
its a simple state of affairs.. if its there... pay it. simple.

Its been said a million times over but the umpires need a more professional program/pathway and need to be made full time. this is a serious business and we thus need to treat all aspects with the seriousness it deserves.

The trick is that it's not just an AFL thing. It's been highlighted in plenty of the US sports (NBA, NFL) as well. They haven't figured it out despite billions of dollars riding on their leagues, as opposed to our's. It's basically trying to figure out how to cancel out human nature.

Great game today, best of luck for the rest of the season, think you'll steam roll the next few clubs you play after the bye... Oh and those bemoaning the umpires, we are too so I definitely don't think there was a particular bias. I think it was just an absolutely atrocious display from the yellow team.
Good luck to your guys, I think you can look forward to some good wins on that display. I do think you've got to give us some margin on our board after a narrow loss, but I dont beleive the umps had anything to do with it.

Must have been hard for the guys after the last 4 wins and the euphoria with them to have that loss the week before the bye but I can see it being put down to a combination of injuries/tired and inexperienced players and I am sure they will want to redeem themselves in the next game
It will be interesting to see what injury Davis has as he did look hurt and not sure on Patton but he just seemed to be a bit slower and less agile than normal still had some good marks and did anyone notice how many ruck contests he was in?
Greene will be dirty on himself and he did create those opportunities so no problem from me on his performance and i think sometimes his brain operates at a different speed to his body
And well done to Carlton to win the game the players were switched on for it and i think the umpiring was poor both ways and it is another example of why they should look at being full time professionals although it did seem that the footy gods were on Carltons side and I am not going to complain about that either after the previous 4 weeks they were smiling on the Giants

Last edited:
Just forced myself to watch this rubbish again and it wasn't any prettier.

Apart from a lot of blokes looking listless and flat a couple of the performances were just off.

Toby's performance was dead set odd...

Last edited:
We have played worse in some of the wins. Felt a lot like the West Coast game, except this time we didn't convert our chances late which would have resulted in another win.

Good:
- complete midfield dominance
- more inside 50s (55-41)
- more tackles (69-55)
- more clearances (41-23!!!)
- more scoring shots (30-21)
- Seriously who loses a game with that level of midfield dominance?
- Whitfield has lifted his game to a new level this season

Ok:
- Stevie J was fine. Lloyd would be a significant downgrade.
- Heath Shaw seems to have developed a habit of a couple of bad clangers per game amongst his usual good work.
- Tobes was easily our best forward except he kicked 0.5
- Perryman doesn't do much, but what he does is quality

Bad:
- Patton very disappointing. He would have had the ball kicked to him 20+ times, and came up with 3 marks, none contested.
- Quiet games for Williams, Taranto, Himmelberg, Reid

Weird:
- Leon's comments post-match "...there are not enough players who are going the distance at our footy club at the moment and if they don't want to go the distance then what's going to happen is they'll be replaced."
- I would have thought players "going the distance" is one of the major success stories this season
- I would have thought failing to convert midfield effort and midfield dominance into scores was the major problem in this game, and has been to a certain extent in previous games - and that's on Leon as much as the players

Overall, 9-3 coming into the bye, with a consistently dominant midfield, is a pretty good position to be in. Nothing in this game changes that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back