Autopsy Round 13, 2023: Sydney v St.Kilda *PRIDE GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, but were they unjust? They were early training sessions in the preseason, he may have be underdone.

FWIW when I saw him at training he was marking everything and I couldn't see him having 'iron hands' or whatever he was called. But these early training sessions where people are hungry can heighten expectation, perceptions can be skewed by these reports I suppose.

Doesn't seem to drop many gameday does he?
Yea fair enough fair enough. Look my comment was more tounge I’m cheek then outwardly insulting to training watchers. Agreed with your comments re his marking in the pre season. I remember most him moving around the ground like a gazelle. Above all else he is just a jet.

"A bunch of kids" not "every single player is a kid"...

Owens, Caminiti, Phillipou, Sharman, Windhager, Byrnes, Owens, NWM.

The swans played 12 blokes under 24 to our 9 under 24.

We played 'a bunch of kids'.... and they played an even bigger bunch of kids.

You citing us winning despite (in part) us playing a bunch of kids is silly when ignoring that we were up against even more kids.

You citing us winning despite (in part) us playing a bunch of kids is silly when ignoring that we were up against even more kids.
I don't know why you're bothering to argue the point. You're wrong, I said a bunch of kids and you went on to list the entire side lol. It was a bunch of kids - almost half. I didn't mention anything about the Swans nor did I make any comparisons, but if you want to then I'd argue they have a more talented list than ours. What I actually did though is that I simply listed reasons (and this was one of them) as to why it was a good win. Playing interstate and bad form didn't help us yet we won it anyway.

This idea that we need to play slick footy for four quarters for it to be a good performance is nonsense, at the ground I felt like we were always in the game and was confident we could outlast them which we did. It's a ground we don't play well at so there's another tick of approval. It was a dogged, gutsy performance with elite pressure displayed for most of the night.

Anyway, just watching the replay for the first time now and you guys were right, the amount of time the broadcast spent on dragging the Butler incident on was piss poor and Daisy especially couldn't shut the hell up about it after it been discussed the first time, constantly bringing the discussion back to the incident. It was what, a quarter since it had happened?

At first I thought oh it's not too bad but it just kept going and going, replay after replay, and then guessing that Blakey went off with a concussion. Stick to commentating the game and leave the uneducated opinions out of it. Let the tribunal decide what to do with it and let the clubs have the opportunity to contest the decision without the picture having been painted already.

I commented on it from memory 'cos one of the trainings I went to he get his hands to everything and the ball bounced straight off. Gave me memories of stupid Grant Thomas and his marking skills all those years ago. Very happy to be proven wrong. Again.
You weren't wrong, it is what you saw. May have had a bad day, maybe and this is from memory, very early in the preseason so maybe underdone.

The point of all of our 'expert' analysis, is that more often than not those opinions or observations are proven wrong.

I suppose it is a point of celebration to get one right. But like you more than happy you were, in the medium term anyway, incorrect on Chito.

Not sure I'd consider 23 as a kid

We had 5 players taken in the last 2 drafts out there. I'm not sure there's be another side in the 8 running with that. That's something you'd expect to see from a rebuilding side.

It's a great sign we are able to win with those kids playing important roles.

Yea fair enough fair enough. Look my comment was more tounge I’m cheek then outwardly insulting to training watchers. Agreed with your comments re his marking in the pre season. I remember most him moving around the ground like a gazelle. Above all else he is just a jet.
No problems, sometimes things might get lost in translation. Like anyone that reports anything negative, I am sure that person is happy to be proven wrong.
I have never had anytime for Seb Ross, I critisise him quite a bit. After the first half Thursday, I had his bags packed, second half I thought it was almost the best he had played all season. His running to space was as goo as I have ever seen from him, really unclogged the congestion and his disposal while still a little floaty with the kick was a good lynch pin to attack from half forward.
More than happy to see him go well. Would love to see it more often though

Not sure I'd consider 23 as a kid

We had 5 players taken in the last 2 drafts out there. I'm not sure there's be another side in the 8 running with that. That's something you'd expect to see from a rebuilding side.

It's a great sign we are able to win with those kids playing important roles.
RTB mentioned the other day, only WCE has a worse injury record than our in the whole League.

Anyway, just watching the replay for the first time now and you guys were right, the amount of time the broadcast spent on dragging the Butler incident on was piss poor and Daisy especially couldn't shut the hell up about it after it been discussed the first time, constantly bringing the discussion back to the incident. It was what, a quarter since it had happened?

At first I thought oh it's not too bad but it just kept going and going, replay after replay, and then guessing that Blakey went off with a concussion. Stick to commentating the game and leave the uneducated opinions out of it. Let the tribunal decide what to do with it and let the clubs have the opportunity to contest the decision without the picture having been painted already.
Meantime no mention at all of the front on knock on Max with no free kick and that forced him off the ground for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who can't get to training, all the reports are really appreciated.
Hopefully you can disagree with each other respectfully without it being a p!ssing contest and calling each other numpties etc.
Otherwise, people might prefer not to write anything up after all.

Don't hold back with the derogatory names for other clubs' supporters though, especially the ones who stray across our board.
As I heard someone say this morning "you can disagree without being disagreeable".

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app

9 Jack Sinclair (STK)
7 Mitch Owens (STK)
6 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (STK)
5 Oliver Florent (SYD)
2 Brad Crouch (STK)
1 Callum Wilkie (STK)
Sinclair has now moved into 6th overall (with everyone ahead of him yet to have their bye). Wilkie moves ahead of Moore as the key defender with the most votes and 16th place overall.

Just been watching the replay. I'm going to swim against the tide here. The criticism of Daisy Pearce is way way over the top.

It was the 3rd quarter when it was bought up. The free against Nas when the ball went back to the centre after the Sydney goal the male commentators made a comment about how hard tackling is now when that soft an action draws a free and she concurred. The male commentators used the Butler tackle as a reference point and she responded yep it is. That was the sum total of her input at that point.

Then with 6 mins 30 left in the 3rd the subbing of Blakey was announced by the male boundary rider. The next male then said unprompted that it was presumably because of the Butler tackle. Then went onto play then next stoppage male calling commentator says "doesn't augur well for Dan Butler". She says "No" but then follows immediately with the next set of words without a pause between " the AFL distributed this week a tape of tackles....discussion on what is allowed...what does a modern day tackle look like...made a lot of sense...on tape... but it in the moment it is going to be very very difficult to make the adjustment".
Male commentator then asks her what is your best guess on what happens to him. She responds. That he may have an ankle injury so we don't know yet...given precedence of this year for potential to cause injury he's in trouble.

They all then went on about it for most of the next 3 mins. And why? Because we are all talking about it after the game, they all talked about it in game. It is a major change to our game. The result is seismic so of course they talked about it. She responded pretty much to questions from the callers as per any special comments commentator would. Her position was coming from the precedence angle for MRO/tribunal results in 2023. The guys all then jumped in and mansplained to her why it was a footy incident. Which is great I'm sure for someone that has played the game at the highest level possible that she can play to learn from them 😉

Unless I'm missing something else she responded to questions from male commentators and she wasn't off the mark with her take on the potential outcome.

The boys banged on about it for longer than she did. Interesting that she's copped most of the wrath about it when she was largely just responding.

9 Jack Sinclair (STK)
7 Mitch Owens (STK)
6 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (STK)
5 Oliver Florent (SYD)
2 Brad Crouch (STK)
1 Callum Wilkie (STK)

Saints totals to round 13

45+: Sinclair (48 from 7 games polled in)
40+:
35+: Wilkie (38 from 7)
30+:
25+:
20+: Marshall (23 from 5)
15+: Owens (18 from 4), Wood (16 from 3)
10+: Wanganeen-Milera (11 from 2), Higgins (10 from 2)
5+: Hill (9 from 3), Steele (7 from 2), Crouch (6 from 3)
1+: Battle (2), Phillipou (2), Ross (2 from 2), King (2 from 2), Butler (1), Byrnes (1)

0: Howard (12 games), Stocker (12), Clark (11), Gresham (11), Paton (11), Caminiti (9), Cordy (7), Windhager (7), Sharman (6), Bytel (5), Webster (5), Membrey (4)

Just been watching the replay. I'm going to swim against the tide here. The criticism of Daisy Pearce is way way over the top.

It was the 3rd quarter when it was bought up. The free against Nas when the ball went back to the centre after the Sydney goal the male commentators made a comment about how hard tackling is now when that soft an action draws a free and she concurred. The male commentators used the Butler tackle as a reference point and she responded yep it is. That was the sum total of her input at that point.

Then with 6 mins 30 left in the 3rd the subbing of Blakey was announced by the male boundary rider. The next male then said unprompted that it was presumably because of the Butler tackle. Then went onto play then next stoppage male calling commentator says "doesn't augur well for Dan Butler". She says "No" but then follows immediately with the next set of words without a pause between " the AFL distributed this week a tape of tackles....discussion on what is allowed...what does a modern day tackle look like...made a lot of sense...on tape... but it in the moment it is going to be very very difficult to make the adjustment".
Male commentator then asks her what is your best guess on what happens to him. She responds. That he may have an ankle injury so we don't know yet...given precedence of this year for potential to cause injury he's in trouble.

They all then went on about it for most of the next 3 mins. And why? Because we are all talking about it after the game, they all talked about it in game. It is a major change to our game. The result is seismic so of course they talked about it. She responded pretty much to questions from the callers as per any special comments commentator would. Her position was coming from the precedence angle for MRO/tribunal results in 2023. The guys all then jumped in and mansplained to her why it was a footy incident. Which is great I'm sure for someone that has played the game at the highest level possible that she can play to learn from them 😉

Unless I'm missing something else she responded to questions from male commentators and she wasn't off the mark with her take on the potential outcome.

The boys banged on about it for longer than she did. Interesting that she's copped most of the wrath about it when she was largely just responding.
It's not a male v female thing, they're all s**t and went on about it for way too long I reckon.

Mansplained. Seriously.

Mansplained. Seriously.
Yup. You might not like it as the biggest baddest Dard in town but this board has had its tight little knickers in a twist over it. Anyway happy to swim up against the fou outrage on here occasionally. Makes it a more interesting life.

Does that make you a Fou fighter?

PS: "fou" is French for "crazy", the word you're looking for is "faux". De rien.

Save your fou outrage, we won't be taking language lessons from a culture that throws an handful of superfluous vowels at the end of every word like a bunch of excessively elaborate plaster cornices.

Pearce was basically told to shut up by Phil whatisname from GWS.
Carrying on about him being in a vulnerable position unprepared.
The guy had beaten two tackles with the football in the middle of the ground in a game where you csn get hit from 360 degrees.
She's a groupspeak idiot like all the other pencil necked lawyers and beancounters. Tries to be intellectual sounds like twat.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back