Autopsy Round 13, 2023: Sydney v St.Kilda *PRIDE GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

I get what the AFL is trying to do, but they’ve only looked at the head knocks issue from one direction.

Blakey was taking on the play. When you do that, when you extend the time you are in possession of the ball, you need to be expecting the possibility of being tackled from outside your line of sight. The play all around you doesn’t stop.

I reckon if HTB and incorrect disposal were paid more often:
1. Players will adjust for the perceived pressure; and
2 Tacklers won’t be as incentivised to always take the player to ground as you won’t necessarily need to to earn a free kick.

Anyway, despite the fact we have terrible Counsel (have we ever won one?), this needs to go to the Tribunal. Butler was not careless. Blakey’s decision to take on the play and his lack of awareness made it look that way.
Excellent post and let’s not forget the AFL said at the start of last year they were going to be quicker on paying holding the ball and then proceeded to absolutely not do that.

Sunday footy show spoke about it this morning and gave the AFL a right whack over how confusing they have made this tackling situation. It was amusing listening to Damien Barrett saying the Sicily one might be more confusing than the Butler one.

Maybe you can get to training occasionally. Exact reason that detailed training reports goes to PM.
FWIW, it was early in preseason. The 4 tines I went to preseason his marking was excellent.
Only numpties are parasites who knock people who go out of their way for Saints supporters to know what's going on preseason.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
FYI I do get training annd have been many times many time since we’ve been back ant Moorabin. I have provided reports every time I go as I do the VFL. It’s when people make unjust calls based on tiny observations and then prove to crap.

Last edited:
Excellent post and let’s not forget the AFL said at the start of last year they were going to be quicker on paying holding the ball and then proceeded to absolutely not do that.

Sunday footy show spoke about it this morning and gave the AFL a right whack over how confusing they have made this tackling situation. It was amusing listening to Damien Barrett saying the Sicily one might be more confusing than the Butler one.

If they were quicker to award holding the ball, then they mightn't need to absolutely tackle the crap out of the ball holder.
Would be less likely to injure players, and could signal a new hope for Jack Lonie to make a comeback.

Maybe you can get to training occasionally. Exact reason that detailed training reports goes to PM.
FWIW, it was early in preseason. The 4 tines I went to preseason his marking was excellent.
Only numpties are parasites who knock people who go out of their way for Saints supporters to know what's going on preseason.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I went a few times at different periods and let’s just say he’s improved significantly. Which fits with him not even being in the Vic Metro Team roughly 24 months ago … he’s improving at a rate of knots. Tracking for 3+ Brownlows

FYI I do get training annd have been many times many time since we’ve been back ant Moorabin. I have provided reports every time I go as I do the VFL. It’s when people make unjust calls based on tiny observations and then prove to crap.
Wow

It's alright mate, a lot of people get to training they just don't grandstand about it like it's an achievement or something. You are entitled to your opinion and can challenge opinions you disagree with that's fine.

We we certainly fortunate to catch them with the macartins, mills and parker out- and rampe way off his best.

Take the win... but we are still a fair way off beating top 4 sides (or teams playing like they are top 4)
I think people's expectations of us are way too high if the benchmark is us beating top 4 sides. We are still an 8-12 type of team and any better than that will be a huge achievement. At the moment, overall, we have exceeded expectations.

I couldn't particularly give a stuff about their injuries or form, we haven't won there in 15 years and are 12 games into a new coach with a bunch of kids. We haven't been in the best form ourselves, so going over there and beating a side that made the GF last year is a superb effort any way you slice it.

with a bunch of kids.
The Office Lie GIF

All 24+ (most 26+)

Screenshot_20230612_082533.jpg

Thought Max could’ve got a free when he was spoiled front on by a defender who didn’t appear to be looking at the ball. That was the contest where he looked proppy afterwards.

Sydney have always been good at exploiting rules. They often block like that with one back blocking while another marks and also do that crunch on a lot of forwards. Also pioneered tunnelling.

They also block their midfielder to free up certain players to win clearance. Exploiting rules was something that we struggled with under Ratts. He was very slow to adapt to the new stand rule especially.

It's alright mate, a lot of people get to training they just don't grandstand about it like it's an achievement or something. You are entitled to your opinion and can challenge opinions you disagree with that's fine.
Mate I wasn’t grandstanding about it. He responded to me first suggesting I can’t be critical because other people go to training. I responded by saying I in fact go to training and the VFL. When ever I do I wrote a report about it. Perhaps you shoulda actually understood the context.

Sydney have always been good at exploiting rules. They often block like that with one back blocking while another marks and also do that crunch on a lot of forwards. Also pioneered tunnelling.

They also block their midfielder to free up certain players to win clearance. Exploiting rules was something that we struggled with under Ratts. He was very slow to adapt to the new stand rule especially.
Especially Rampe, hate that guy.

Mate I wasn’t grandstanding about it. He responded to me first suggesting I can’t be critical because other people go to training. I responded by saying I in fact go to training and the VFL. When ever I do I wrote a report about it. Perhaps you shoulda actually understood the context.
Give it another read, wasn't talking about you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people's expectations of us are way too high if the benchmark is us beating top 4 sides. We are still an 8-12 type of team and any better than that will be a huge achievement. At the moment, overall, we have exceeded expectations.

I couldn't particularly give a stuff about their injuries or form, we haven't won there in 15 years and are 12 games into a new coach with a bunch of kids. We haven't been in the best form ourselves, so going over there and beating a side that made the GF last year is a superb effort any way you slice it.

I reckon this season we are a 5th to 15th side. There is very little separating sides this year. Fixture, injury, timing etc are favouring us right now and we are getting results but to stay in that 5th to 8th spots on the ladder we need to keep beating sides around our level. To me the sides outside our level are Pies, Dees, Lions, Port at the top, North, WCE at the bottom with Richmond and Hawks just in-between.

I reckon this season we are a 5th to 15th side. There is very little separating sides this year. Fixture, injury, timing etc are favouring us right now and we are getting results but to stay in that 5th to 8th spots on the ladder we need to keep beating sides around our level. To me the sides outside our level are Pies, Dees, Lions, Port at the top, North, WCE at the bottom with Richmond and Hawks just in-between.
We definitely aren't bottom four

3 to 8.

Pies and Power top 2, after that its a bit of a lottery. Dee's and Lions are flaky, we've got the best defence in the league and we've yet to have anything like a stable or preferred forward line.

Can't see any reason we we can't contend for a Top 4 finish.

3 to 8.

Pies and Power top 2, after that its a bit of a lottery. Dee's and Lions are flaky, we've got the best defence in the league and we've yet to have anything like a stable or preferred forward line.

Can't see any reason we we can't contend for a Top 4 finish.

Absolutely no reason for us other that injury and form. Knock off those around us and below us and it's there if we want it. Probably need Dees and Brions to stay flaky too.

"A bunch of kids" not "every single player is a kid"...

Owens, Caminiti, Phillipou, Sharman, Windhager Byrnes, Owens, NWM.

I reckon we had a lot of youth.

What's all the outrage about the training reports , If some are so precious that if anyone questions anything about the report that they take their bat and ball and go home , so be it .
Ads and anyone else feel free to post your reports , all reports are good and no one is wrong as everyone has an opinion, for the ones who have the opportunity to go to training yet think what they have seen is so sensitive that it cant be shared on a footy forum well

Fair enough, but were they unjust? They were early training sessions in the preseason, he may have be underdone.

FWIW when I saw him at training he was marking everything and I couldn't see him having 'iron hands' or whatever he was called. But these early training sessions where people are hungry can heighten expectation, perceptions can be skewed by these reports I suppose.

Doesn't seem to drop many gameday does he?

What's all the outrage about the training reports , If some are so precious that if anyone questions anything about the report that they take their bat and ball and go home , so be it .
Ads and anyone else feel free to post your reports , all reports are good and no one is wrong as everyone has an opinion, for the ones who have the opportunity to go to training yet think what they have seen is so sensitive that it cant be shared on a footy forum well
It's the critisicm the PM group struggle with. Pathetic really.

Fair enough, but were they unjust? They were early training sessions in the preseason, he may have be underdone.

FWIW when I saw him at training he was marking everything and I couldn't see him having 'iron hands' or whatever he was called. But these early training sessions where people are hungry can heighten expectation, perceptions can be skewed by these reports I suppose.

Doesn't seem to drop many gameday does he?
I commented on it from memory 'cos one of the trainings I went to he get his hands to everything and the ball bounced straight off. Gave me memories of stupid Grant Thomas and his marking skills all those years ago. Very happy to be proven wrong. Again.

As someone who can't get to training, all the reports are really appreciated.
Hopefully you can disagree with each other respectfully without it being a p!ssing contest and calling each other numpties etc.
Otherwise, people might prefer not to write anything up after all.

Don't hold back with the derogatory names for other clubs' supporters though, especially the ones who stray across our board.

As someone who can't get to training, all the reports are really appreciated.
Hopefully you can disagree with each other respectfully without it being a p!ssing contest and calling each other numpties etc.

Otherwise, people might prefer not to write anything up after all.

Don't hold back with the derogatory names for other clubs' supporters though, especially the ones who stray across our board.

100 %

Remove this Banner Ad

Back