Preview Round 13, 2023: Sydney v St.Kilda - SCG, Thursday 8th June, 7:10PM AEST *PRIDE GAME*

Who Wins?

• Swans

Votes: 33 58.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 23 41.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope Rampe does play, he's an annoying scraggy campaigner and Max gave him an absolute bath in round 22 last year and would be primed to do it again I reckon. Max could be in for a big game either way given their tall defender situation. If he cuts loose we could steal a win.

Playing on the smaller SCG makes me think whatever happens in the middle is even more crucial than normal. Big outs for them with Mills and Parker to miss. Can't wait to get a look at Owens in there more, Windy too. This really does look like our best chance of beating them in Sydney for years.

Whether we get it done or not is of course another question entirely.🥴

Would be bloody awesome to kickstart the second half of the season with some positivity.

I remember early last season before the wheels fell off, that commentators were saying how fit the Saints looked, though a big part of our doing well was Paddy having good games, then he got rubbed out and we lost a bit of zing and direction, not to mention DMac and Jones going down- two hard runners around stoppages. Unfortunately, our midfield is not the engine room it should be now, and looks pale compared to the rest of the top 8 teams. Not an easy fix.

Steele and Gresham both got injured and our midfield looked s**t too.

For all Jones' faults, he is a difference as a stoppage mid. Great burst from stoppage, good kick from stoppage (much better than around the ground). D-Mac is the prototypical Ross Lyon role player. They've been missed.

But on the wing, Wood is excellent and Byrnes has been serviceable with some good patches. In the guts, they just need to get Owens and Phillipou in there more.

Ratten at North, not coaching for his job, just threw the kids in there. Ross shouldn't be coaching for his job. Get Owens and Phillipou in the guts more and watch them grow.

Changes for tomorrow:

In: Owens, Windhager
Out: Clark, Paton

I'm on the plane tomorrow morning to the Emerald City.

Last edited:
For all Jones' faults, he is a difference as a stoppage mid. Great burst from stoppage, good kick from stoppage (much better than around the ground). D-Mac is the prototypical Ross Lyon role player. They've been missed.
I know who I’d much rather have in the team rn out of a fit Zak and Seb Ross.

I also reckon we could do a hell of a lot worse than to play D-Mac as a defensive half-forward, on the likes of Daicos, Saad, Redman, Rich, Dale, Dawson, etc.

Limit the impact of those types each week and your chances of winning surely rises significantly.

Sounds like Windhager is a good chance to return along with Owens, surely with Hunter Clark out he is the next best midfielder we have to replace him.

Owens should be playing some midfield too but I doubt he will play purely as a mid like Windhager and he will still be having stints playing up forward.

I can't decide if that's more depressing or more cause for optimism....

Even when we last beat Sydney at the SCG back in 2009 we just scraped over the line by a point and that is when we had a much better side than now.

Sydney weren't as good as they are now either, they finished 12th that year and there was no Buddy milestone game then, he was still at Hawthorn.

I'm still more optimistic about beating Sydney in Sydney tomorrow than in any other year since Ross left in 2011 and records are made to be broken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funnily enough, Franklin played his 100th game the week after that Sydney game in 2009. Against St Kilda.

It's amazing how many milestone games he has played against us and like Tex Walker he usually saves his best games for when he plays us too.

I'm worried that he will turn back the clock tomorrow night and kick another bag of goals against us, he will also be refreshed after having the bye.

Got a feeling another gun young mid in Warner will show a clean set off heels to our midfield- might be very important to get Windy in to do a negating role on him.
Perfect matchup for Windhager!

Got a feeling another gun young mid in Warner will show a clean set off heels to our midfield- might be very important to get Windy in to do a negating role on him.

There entire midfield work to block for Warner and Gulden so we will no doubt need to put work into them. I think RTB is wanting Windhager to move away from a tagging role, but that may be the best way to play him back into form.

Last edited:
This season isn’t going anywhere. We have been found out. Still exceeded my expectations from pre-season, so not all doom and gloom.
I’m in this camp. Doesn’t matter who the coach is if you don’t have the cattle, I’m expecting an almighty touch up and a complete reassess about where we’re at. Hopefully that leads to Owens and Windhager in the middle every week. Hell even Hotton.

I’m in this camp. Doesn’t matter who the coach is if you don’t have the cattle, I’m expecting an almighty touch up and a complete reassess about where we’re at. Hopefully that leads to Owens and Windhager in the middle every week. Hell even Hotton.
I knew we should of called training off, what's the point in fact lets get to trade and draft night now no point waiting for the season to end.

i saw someone mention Seb Ross hit his games trigger for a contract next year. Could it be that he was allowed to play through poor form so he could hit that trigger as early as possible? now he's free to be a depth player and we can bring in windhager/etc to take his spot in the 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back