Preview Round 13, 2023: Sydney v St.Kilda - SCG, Thursday 8th June, 7:10PM AEST *PRIDE GAME*

Who Wins?

• Swans

Votes: 33 58.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 23 41.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've also thrown Phillipou in for a few stray centre bounces so it might not mean much of anything.

With Ross, it's less about whether someone in the side could take his or Clark midfield time and more does he offer more than Paton or Sharman at the moment due to the lack of other options available. And even with him not as his best, he would have been the best performed of the 3 against Hawthorn.
There difference between Owens and Phillipou though is that Owens is the number one player in the competition for contested footy outside of the stoppage and he was only forced into the hybrid key forward role when we were smashed with injuries.

Ross plays a different role to Paton and Sharman who was the sub so who can cover his time in the midfield is relevant. Ross would definitely be more suited to the sub role than Sharman though.

Fingers crossed Windy can perform and really put the pressure on him.

We've been here so many times before. Getting rid of the old guys is good management, Spencer White, Billy Longer and Hickey will take us to the top getting rid of Rooey is smart because he's holding up a spot....Billings, Dunny, Acres, Paddy Mac will take us forward, Clark and Coffield are superstars. We've all read this script before. I don't spend money from stocks that may pay off in the future.

You get better when you amass enough talent and it actualises in performance. So far we've dropped off intensity, a lot of why the kids were doing well early is because older guys take the heat off them. I'm not sure moving on old guys and expecting kids to pick up slack is smart business myself. I want finals this year, it's a fail otherwise.

No Parker helps. Owens back is huge. We should really win this if we are any chance of finals.

Don't trust us one bit though. Very hard to know which Saints will turn up. We can't let Steele and Ross get pantsed all game, if we are losing the midfield battle need to get Sincs and Owens in there early.

King - Caminiti- Owens - Windy- Pou -NWM

We will be ok going forward
I’ll be all in on us when we have a JHF-Rozee-Butters combo in the middle.

There is a Seb Ross shaped elephant in the room.
I’ve been one of his biggest supporters over the years but even I’m almost off him. If the season goes pear shaped we need to move on from him.

There difference between Owens and Phillipou though is that Owens is the number one player in the competition for contested footy outside of the stoppage and he was only forced into the hybrid key forward role when we were smashed with injuries.

Ross plays a different role to Paton and Sharman who was the sub so who can cover his time in the midfield is relevant. Ross would definitely be more suited to the sub role than Sharman though.

Fingers crossed Windy can perform and really put the pressure on him.

He definitely gets a run but I think his ideal role is probably as a forward who gets runs on ball. If he adapts quickly he gets more minutes like we do with Phillipou. Ideally we would have ready to go semi developed mids. throwing kids in and expecting them to carry the side is probably not ideal development. De Goey moved full time mid at 26.

He definitely gets a run but I think his ideal role is probably as a forward who gets runs on ball. If he adapts quickly he gets more minutes like we do with Phillipou. Ideally we would have ready to go semi developed mids. throwing kids in and expecting them to carry the side is probably not ideal development. De Goey moved full time mid at 26.
You’re all being too soft on windy and Owens.

I looked up what age bont and Dunkley we’re when they won their flag. 19 and 20!

Put them in the middle and let them lead us to a flag

You’re all being too soft on windy and Owens.

I looked up what age bont and Dunkley we’re when they won their flag. 19 and 20!

Put them in the middle and let them lead us to a flag

It would be nice if they could.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t remember much of early bont and Dunkley before the flag. How are they tracking compared to Owens and windy same age

Bont looked exciting I remember. Think he played something like 15 games in year one which helped. Dogs fans were talking about Bont being a future star very early.

As good as Owens? Or is Owens better at the same stage

Not sure, I used to hear about him from one of the kid's footy coaches that used to have a bit to do with the Dogs at the time. They were very excited by him immediately. They knew they had something special.

I can’t remember much of early bont and Dunkley before the flag. How are they tracking compared to Owens and windy same age

Dunkley played at HF but the year before the flag was Bont’s breakout year. He was a bonafide star in only his second year so yes, better than Owens and Windy. Owens has been awesome but Bont was doing it as an out and out midfielder.

Dunkley played at HF but the year before the flag was Bont’s breakout year. He was a bonafide star in only his second year so yes, better than Owens and Windy. Owens has been awesome but Bont was doing it as an out and out midfielder.
Ok so we have a target for Owens to aim for in the second half of the year. It’s my dream that Owens and windy just tell expectations to * off and simply be our best midfielders ahead of schedule. Place the “senior players” on the bench

DeGoey is one example. He also had some of the best midfielders their club has seen playing midfield.

Fyfe and Bont were pretty much a full time mid in his 2nd year and there are many more examples just like them.

I don't think anyone has suggested or expects Owens to be played as a full time mid right away either. And I'm not suggesting Owens is going to carry our side, that's just silly talk.

DeGoey is one example. He also had some of the best midfielders their club has seen playing midfield.

Fyfe and Bont were pretty much a full time mid in his 2nd year and there are many more examples just like them.

I don't think anyone has suggested or expects Owens to be played as a full time mid right away either. And no one has suggested Owens is going to carry our side, that's just silly talk.
I hope for Owens to carry the side. Just cause it’d be epic.

I hope for Owens to carry the side. Just cause it’d be epic.
Well I did say no one is expecting him to carry our side and then read your post so o had to go and edit it...

Clearly you do, but I think that might be unrealistic. Be nice just see him go in and play a role for 25% of the game and then do his usual stuff forward.

He's too good of a contested player to not be spending minutes in there

Well I did say no one is expecting him to carry our side and then read your post so o had to go and edit it...

Clearly you do, but I think that might be unrealistic. Be nice just see him go in and play a role for 25% of the game and then do his usual stuff forward.

He's too good of a contested player to not be spending minutes in there
I don’t expect him to not delusional but there is the chance for him to step into that role that bont played in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back