Preview Round 14 v Saints MCG Saturday June 17th 7.25pm - Cotchin 300th

Remove this Banner Ad

4th week in succession that team selection has been met with melts and yet the team are 2-1 in that time with the only loss being 10 points to Port who'd won 7 straight heading in to the game in which McQualter had pretty much 4 days to get his head around becoming the interim head coach. Maybe just maybe the people selecting the team have an clue what they're trying to achieve with the teams they are selecting.
I attribute that more to McQualter’s coaching than the actual team he’s selecting. I did a 180 and actually like his coaching now.

People may not realise this, but our inside 50 efficiency went from 38.5% to 51.3% since McQualter took over. He did a good job fixing our ball movement into our forward 50. Hardwick had us moving the ball way too slowly (especially without Lynch).

We’ve got a huge challenge today though. St Kilda is the hardest team to score against with their opponents only scoring from about 38.9% of their inside 50s. That’s what you get with Ross Lyon I guess. Our ball movement inside 50 has to be on point so hopefully McQualter can get this done.

Regarding team selection, McQualter is a bit too conservative. He’s picking a side that can get the job done, but I don’t think it helps us greatly long-term. Understandable though given that he’s basically coaching for his resume this year. Nothing beats observable results in getting the top job for him. It’ll probably change once he actually gets a senior coaching role.

I did the ladder predictor and pretty much we can’t drop the game v Saints and have to win at least one if not two of Lions at the Gabba, Melbourne at the MCG, Port Adelaide at AO and Western Bulldogs at MCG and have other results go our way.

It’s possible, but it’ll be difficult.
Do you get 9 every week in your footy tipping?

Win this week and the Blues and Giants win we are 9th. Then it’s not so much about mathematical probability it’s about winning more than the team a spot or 2 above us. Not looking too far ahead. Getting players back on deck and gathering momentum. Last couple of weeks have been great though. Just enjoying every week at a time.

Win this week and the Blues and Giants win we are 9th. Then it’s not so much about mathematical probability it’s about winning more than the team a spot or 2 above us. Not looking too far ahead. Getting players back on deck and gathering momentum. Last couple of weeks have been great though. Just enjoying every week at a time.
blooze gold campaigners at the G which genius thought of that

will
be lucky to crack 20k

I attribute that more to McQualter’s coaching than the actual team he’s selecting. I did a 180 and actually like his coaching now.

People may not realise this, but our inside 50 efficiency went from 38.5% to 51.3% since McQualter took over. He did a good job fixing our ball movement into our forward 50. Hardwick had us moving the ball way too slowly (especially without Lynch).

We’ve got a huge challenge today though. St Kilda is the hardest team to score against with their opponents only scoring from about 38.9% of their inside 50s. That’s what you get with Ross Lyon I guess. Our ball movement inside 50 has to be on point so hopefully McQualter can get this done.

Regarding team selection, McQualter is a bit too conservative. He’s picking a side that can get the job done, but I don’t think it helps us greatly long-term. Understandable though given that he’s basically coaching for his resume this year. Nothing beats observable results in getting the top job for him. It’ll probably change once he actually gets a senior coaching role.
Think it's a combination of the 2. We're putting a team on the park that uses the players in their best positions as the club rightly or wrongly continues to push for finals, at the same time there have been some tweaks to how we're playing, where we have stopped the long high bomb into the F50 and we're also using forward handball a bit more through HB & the midfield to generate quicker entries into the F50 which now gives the forwards a chance to compete 1-1 or to be hit up on the lead.

In terms of selection, outside Banks & Miller(when he goes back) in the VFL, there isn't a lot pushing for selection, and we're currently playing/played a large number of inexperienced kids as well with Ross Ralphsmith Mansell Maurice Miller Cumberland Clarke Ryan & Young all getting opportunity this year. So I don't think selection is too conservative, I think it's well balanced and the tweak in terms of using players more in their best positions over trying them in new positions.

Like you I'm a fan of what McQualter has done in terms of tweaking the game style, but I'm still keen on us going through the full process of assessing all the candidates and ensuring we pick the best one to lead us forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the forecast tonight? It looks beautiful and sunny from inside the house here in Geelong, but the moment I step outside it’s windy and cold!
Heading up for the game, what can I expect?

I did the ladder predictor and pretty much we can’t drop the game v Saints and have to win at least one if not two of Lions at the Gabba, Melbourne at the MCG, Port Adelaide at AO and Western Bulldogs at MCG and have other results go our way.

It’s possible, but it’ll be difficult.
From this point, 13.5 season wins = definite finals bottom eight. Finals a possibility with scraping in with 12.5 wins depending on other teams upsets and form swings. To stay in the hunt the Tigers need wins momentum.

Loose against a bottom 8 team today is puckering up for a mafia kiss. W's this week and coming out of the bye (statistically challenging) are a must for positive psychology that is, The Tigers are coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back