Preview Round 16, 2021: Collingwood v St.Kilda - MCG, Sunday 4th July, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Magpies

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 41 82.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem dropping players when they are struggling with form should’ve been a lot player’s dropped this year that haven’t been dropped. But a player finally plays well and has the game that you have been looking for to drop him after that game is just poor coaching just DUMB

We seem to be bad at building confidence in players. The one thing I would think is obvious is rewarding good games. It's like giving a dog a treat for good behaviour after a while they are conditioned to doing good without the reward. Getting dropped from a winning side is insane at the best of times but he played well too.

Cue the spooky music.

What draft pick was Josh Battle? Whats the average number games for that draft pick? How many games has Josh Battle played?

Should have deleted Stuv at 21 then.

From what I remember Battle had a really good season playing CHB in Richo's last season. Then Ratten decided Battle would be good on a wing, and apparently doubled down on this during that member Q+A session a couple of weeks ago. Now, he's dropped. Makes no sense to me.

We've butchered his career. I hope he goes somewhere else and can salvage something off his career.

Let's hope we're not having the same conversation about our 'forward flanker' Nick Coffield next season lol.

Probably dropped him because he was a bit of a naughty boy and hurt too many Richmond players. Can't have that in the good boys club.
Or he got to much of the ball last week for a wingman

From what I remember Battle had a really good season playing CHB in Richo's last season. Then Ratten decided Battle would be good on a wing, and apparently doubled down on this during that member Q+A session a couple of weeks ago. Now, he's dropped. Makes no sense to me.

We've butchered his career. I hope he goes somewhere else and can salvage something off his career.

Let's hope we're not having the same conversation about our 'forward flanker' Nick Coffield next season lol.

First 7 games were split between schooling and forward, we had Mccartin, Bruce and Roo was still playing back then so you know, had a forward line and N.Brown as KPD. First full season was as CHB since Brown retired, as did Robbo and we lost 4-5 defenders, so Battles first full season was as CHB and that was 2019. 2 years ago at this point and he debuted at 19 for his first game.

Nah, haven't really junked his development for mine, man much like Long loves the contest and so played where he was needed, learned off oppo forwards, rarely goes goalless when he plays forward unlike a Lonie for example, but also doesn't have the "come with me boys" that Roo had or even Paddy's faux Plug sortta leads before killing our forward structure.

Battle has been disappointing most of the year but it's got a real Nick Hind feeling about it...

People were quick to suggest Hind wasn't up to it and surprise, surprise he's now one of the in form half backs in the comp.

Hunter Clark is another that gives me the same vibe. Played his best game as a genuine mid and never got the opportunity again.

It was no surprise to see Brad Crouch play much better when we didn't play him in the forward pocket.

Seems a common theme unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wood is a tease. Once he's played a few good games he goes back to bed. I have North friends and the whole of his career he'd play a great game and just as you start to have any expectations of him he drops away. He's 27 or something, he's unlikely to become any more than he is as a big utility that isn't great at any one role.
I don’t mind Battle getting dropped per se, but keeping Wood in the side instead of Battle is poor forward thinking. This is the problem with having journeymen on the list, coaches just can’t help themselves and end up selecting them over younger guys with more upside.
Wood is not part of the future and should only be a ‘break glass’ player... once he starts keeping Battle out of the side I’m over him.

Agree 100%

I personally think we just overrate our players a little too much, I'm very guilty of it too.
No doubt we do, but I also doubt there'd be another coach that would persist with Battle on the wing for so long.

It was strange that with Marshall out for so long we didn't give him a decent run as a key forward.

It's impossible for any of us to know if he'd be any good or not. He has definitely showed promise playing forward though. Hopefully he is playing forward for Sandy and not on the wing.

Rated our 5th most effective player last week, the 8th most effective on the field. Marshall obviously underdone and our least effective player and obviously still not right. Wood was the 21st most effective player.
In the AFL official player ratings Wood was no.1 on the ground and Champion Data rated him 5th best on the ground (SuperCoach).

Had 3 of our 11 direct score assists, kicked a goal and had an equal-game-high number of score involvements.

Last edited:
Wood is a tease. Once he's played a few good games he goes back to bed. I have North friends and the whole of his career he'd play a great game and just as you start to have any expectations of him he drops away. He's 27 or something, he's unlikely to become any more than he is as a big utility that isn't great at any one role.
So what’s the problem then, if that happens again this time it opens up that spot for Battle to make his own, and if it doesn’t happen, then we’ve got a very talented Wood playing good footy in that lead-up role.

While we are comparing stats, here is Josh Battle playing CHB at 21 compared to Noah Balta and Tom McCartin

View attachment 1169754
View attachment 1169755
I think the issue with playing Josh down back at FB or CHB is that his defending of a man isn’t very good. Balta is streets ahead in that department. His ideal role back there IMO is the one that Wilkie has locked in for the foreseeable future and now Tommy Highmore is making it even harder for him to get a look in there.

While up forward, if we really are confident of getting Bing, there probably won’t be room for Josh there, with the two Kings, Membrey and maybe even Marshall, so maybe that’s why we’re so insistent on playing him mainly on the wing. Because that’s the role we want him to play long term.

It’s probably not his best role (almost certainly isn’t), but again, this isn’t the Josh Battle Show. And he’s nowhere near good enough that we should play him in his best position and just build everything else around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back