Review Round 17, 2021 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Boak getting tackled and caught HTB on the wing by the guy who just got interchanged in definitely felt like a 'time is almost up' moment. Boaky of a few years ago would've evaded that

Several players got caught like that tonight. It would help if the players around them told them they were hot. But maybe its too hard to hear other players at Adelaide Oval.

It wasn't a 'time is almost up' moment at all. Boak was one of about three players desperately trying to claw us to victory in the third quarter from memory. Besides there was noone to kick to. This often results in more players getting caught

Yep wasted opportunity to not even try Hayes for a game in the period Lycett was out.

Whenever Lycett/Ladhams loses the ruck battle our midfield gets slaughtered.
Meanwhile Jackson gets picked for Melbourne week in, week out and I barely noticed him tonight. What’s he doing that Hayes isn’t? Instead, we have bloody Ladhams who will get another go before him.

This is going to sound brutal but i reckon our 2014 backline was miles better than what we have today. I specifically remember we had an absolute wall built at one point. Trengove and Carlile took the keys Hombsch would come third in as would Jonas. Pittard had some bomb scares but did rebound efficiently and we had Cam FRIDGE OShea who couldnt kick for s**t but had good positioning. When the dees dump kicked out of their 50 i fully expected one of our players to mark it which did happen a tiny bit during the third but more often than not we had one on ones and no ones coming through

We can only kick 8 goals with Dixon, MG and Marshall in he forward line,
I love Dan, I have his no.5 but he’s playing soft as sloppy poo and should be droppped for Garner. It saddened me.

Moir whole team with top spot up for grabs, ran through the motions.
The Hinkley effect, anyone good turns to ..........

Butters was back too soon. He's an amazing player but ffs he's in his 3rd year. We should not be depending on him, and he should have had one more game in Sanfl to prove his fitness. I know the injuries are unrelated but he was hardly in the contest in the time he was out there.
Marshall, sorry mate but you need to go back to the Sanfl, and I wouldn't bring him back until he takes 5 contested marks in a game. Give him a target to work towards. Softer than margarine.
Houston needs to get further up the ground or back in the midfield, he's such a nothing player at the moment and when we play well I think he is one of our weapons. We need to get him involved. Where is that guy who was lacing out 50m passes inside the forward line from early in the season?
Rozee, inconsistent. Had a few good weeks before and always has a couple of special moments, but needs to stay in the game for longer.
Motlop, delist material. Struggle to think who would make an offer if we put him up for trade.
Hayes has to put his hand up to play next week and we must give him a go. Lycett needs support and it makes no sense to play our best key position players in Aliir and Dixon in ruck. We're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

If we are to salvage anything from this season, next week I want
In: Hayes, Hartlett, Garner, Pasini/Mead
Out: Marshall, Butters (inj), Motlop, Mayes, DBJ

Time to chop the passengers.

Players on notice: Burton, Houston, Frederick, Rozee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is going to sound brutal but i reckon our 2014 backline was miles better than what we have today. I specifically remember we had an absolute wall built at one point. Trengove and Carlile took the keys Hombsch would come third in as would Jonas. Pittard had some bomb scares but did rebound efficiently and we had Cam FRIDGE OShea who couldnt kick for sh*t but had good positioning. When the dees dump kicked out of their 50 i fully expected one of our players to mark it which did happen a tiny bit during the third but more often than not we had one on ones and no ones coming through
It was the game style. 2014 we put numbers behind the ball and slingshot forward. The exact opposite of what we do now.

we have a host of good ball users, if given space, now. we are getting smashed in the centre clearances now. smashed. our backline is good. forward line ok with decent delivery.

We also have a load of really average ball users, unfortunately most of them are in the midfield.

In my opinion they were just the much better side.

Better coach and we were beaten all over the ground. I don’t think our defence played too badly considering the amount of over the back’s and goal side uncontested possession our midfield let occur.

Ruck v Ruck:

We were smashed in the ruck. The stats don’t show the dominance because the don’t account for the amount of times Gawn would tap it straight down the throat of Trac or Oliver and they’d get a fast clearance to hit a target inside 50. We had nothing like that from Lycett or any of our mids.

Mids v Mids:

Trac and Oliver were so so much better than Wines and Boak. Soundly beaten in quality there last night. Langdon was better than any of our wingers and overall their midfield was just so much better at position. That’s a coaching thing, you can’t let all our mids the whole game get drawn into the contest when Melbourne had the Richmond game style of having their extra numbers just outside of the contest, goal side, backing in Oliver or Trac to out class the 5-6 mids we had flocking to the ball. It happened in the first quarter and nothing changed for the whole game, so that’s terrible coaching.

Defense v Defense:

our defense actually played quite well I thougt. However, when you looked at May, Lever, Petty and Hibberd. My god in comparison we looked like an under 12’s team. Hibberd and May took about 8 grabs all at crucial points, all from contests our forwards had the ability to spoil. Yet on the other end we have even easier marking attempts and Jonas, Clurey and McKenzie just spoil it every time or get beaten on the lead from playing behind (Clurey). That’s the difference in quality.

When you get down to it simplistically it’s not hard to see why Melbourne won comfortably:

Their ruck was a lot better.
Their mids were a lot better especially their top 2.
Their defenders were miles better.
They outcoached us. This one wasn’t hard either as the only things that worked in the first quarter kept getting used and Hinkley didn’t make one single adjustment except moving Aliir out of defense which made us even worse.

We simply aren’t as good of a team and we’re outclassed across every line of the ground, including the coaches box.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Amon has now gone to over rated status. He used to be a guy that was a bit soft, didn't impact enough but had a beautiful leg. Now he gets it enough, but what used to be his strength, his disposal, is average.
After a great start to the year he turned to s**t very quickly after receiving accolades from game commentators. He's now lazy, back to being soft and his kicking is now crap. Drop.

In my opinion they were just the much better side.

Better coach and we were beaten all over the ground. I don’t think our defence played too badly considering the amount of over the back’s and goal side uncontested possession our midfield let occur.

Ruck v Ruck:

We were smashed in the ruck. The stats don’t show the dominance because the don’t account for the amount of times Gawn would tap it straight down the throat of Trac or Oliver and they’d get a fast clearance to hit a target inside 50. We had nothing like that from Lycett or any of our mids.

Mids v Mids:

Trac and Oliver were so so much better than Wines and Boak. Soundly beaten in quality there last night. Langdon was better than any of our wingers and overall their midfield was just so much better at position. That’s a coaching thing, you can’t let all our mids the whole game get drawn into the contest when Melbourne had the Richmond game style of having their extra numbers just outside of the contest, goal side, backing in Oliver or Trac to out class the 5-6 mids we had flocking to the ball. It happened in the first quarter and nothing changed for the whole game, so that’s terrible coaching.

Defense v Defense:

our defense actually played quite well I thougt. However, when you looked at May, Lever, Petty and Hibberd. My god in comparison we looked like an under 12’s team. Hibberd and May took about 8 grabs all at crucial points, all from contests our forwards had the ability to spoil. Yet on the other end we have even easier marking attempts and Jonas, Clurey and McKenzie just spoil it every time or get beaten on the lead from playing behind (Clurey). That’s the difference in quality.

When you get down to it simplistically it’s not hard to see why Melbourne won comfortably:

Their ruck was a lot better.
Their mids were a lot better especially their top 2.
Their defenders were miles better.
They outcoached us. This one wasn’t hard either as the only things that worked in the first quarter kept getting used and Hinkley didn’t make one single adjustment except moving Aliir out of defense which made us even worse.

We simply aren’t as good of a team and we’re outclassed across every line of the ground, including the coaches box.
Good review. Plus our forwards were shocking. Some weren't even prepared to make a genuine contest and that is unforgivable.

To make matters worse a ******* Troy Chaplin coached backline destroyed our forward line.

what next a nathan Lonie led midfield dominates contested ball.

any wonder people are giving up

Good review. Plus our forwards were shocking. Some weren't even prepared to make a genuine contest and that is unforgivable.
What really pissed me off was watching the forward line with a 2 on 2 and there’s Georgie just intent of blocking for Dixon, so we had a 2 on 2 and yet only 1 of our players was intent on the ball. Whose ******* idea is that? That has to be a direction. Just makes lever or Mays job easier.

when we decided to make lever play defence he looked ordinary

For what it's worth I think spp did alright. Can honestly say he went hard, ran hard, tackled hard and looked like he gave a sh*t
His effort and intensity was clearly there unlike half our team but he lacks polish atm. 2020 was a great year for him but in 2021 he's back to being undisciplined & wasteful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back