Autopsy Round 17: Hawks beat by Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll I'll counter what a lot won't say.
Mitchell called for it never moved towards the ball and at the very least didn't have the where with all to put his body in-between Daniels and the ball.
Nup but it's easier to pin the bloke doing what most won't and take risk and play through the guts.
More about the receiver being flat footed than the kick or intent.
I mean it was both, it was an average kick and Mitchell made it look worse. Neither is free of blame in that play.

Jeez Omeara is bewildering
He’s limited. He tries hard and he’s a good fella. But his disposal stinks and he has a rare knack for unforced errors. He’s basically a peak Liam Shiels (similar ability, good character etc) but he doesn’t have the superstars around him that Shiels did. Needs to be given defensive roles next year and let Worpel and others take ownership of the midfield. He just has no impact with ball in hand

Gunston is our best player and it is not particularly close

He is the only one on the field to me that looks completely shattered and the only one playing with the intensity and desire every time he goes near the ball to want to turn it around.

So many others just look completely deflated and really can’t be stuffed.

The thing that has me completely stuffed is when the hubs were announced, I actually thought we have the most experienced coach and the oldest list and we are better equipped than any other side to tackle this and deal with it.

Crazy dumb wasteful season by us.

Outside of the club I think Day's year has been highly underated .
To do what he has done in such a poorly performing side speaks for his talent and drive.
Love what Greaves brings, has 150 plus very good games written all over him.

Great to see Finn out there . Think we need some patience with him , will be a very good player but perhaps a slower burn at the level.

Much better second half after the horse had bolted. Lets get out of next week without any injuries and reload for 2021
We need to be patient with both Finn and Lewis.
Mitch needs to be given at LEAST half of what TOB’s been given to prove himself, ie 3-4 years.

In the 2016 semi, the Bulldogs smashed us through the middle and Clarkson whinged about the umpiring. Fast forward 4 years and Bulldogs still smashing us in the middle and Clarkson still whinging about the umpiring

We sold the farm to get Wingard and Omera and topped up with Patton and Scully who’s bodies are shot and now paying the price. Cupboard is bare and we have massive holes in both key positions as well as a crap ruckman who we have to keep playing for another 2 seasons when really he should be delisted

Our list strategy decisions have failed spectacularly and we are a genuine bottom 4 side. I can deal with all if that as long as the club acknowledges their failings and moves forward.

No more spin doctoring and complaining about umpiring, hub life, other coaches tactics etc, it’s embarrassing. Time will tell

I would very much begrudge gunners and Breust looking elsewhere - they’ve enjoyed 3 premierships and there’s some young blokes needing direction and seniority.

rebuilds still need class around them and they have that in spades. I hope they stay
The Gunners question is an interesting thought experiment.

Based on what we have seen this year it is unlikely we will be contending for a flag in the next 4 years (just a guess on my part) by which stage he will be pushing 33 years old.

He is still a good player in a struggling side like the Hawks are at the moment but in a contending team playing alongside strong key forwards he would be elite. Imagine him playing as the third string forward at West Coast behind Kennedy and Darling getting the ball delivered to him on a platter by Gaff and Kelly, he would easily kick 50+ goals a season.

Contending teams would know this and could pay overs to get him thinking he could be the missing piece of the puzzle to get them over the line win them a flag.

But on the other hand he and Bruest are basically our only two proven goal scorers and Gunners has shown he is the heart and soul of the team.

Personally I would keep him at the club and make him captain. But it has to be admitted that the alternative could be seen as a win/win for both Gunners and the club (assuming they get a really good return in exchange).

Pleasing second half effort. Day, Cousins, Finn and Greaves all showed good signs. Finn was very unlucky to not receive 2 HTB frees against the untouchable Bont. That bloke is the new Dangerfield.

Disappointing that we made another opposition ruck man look like Grundy. Also thought a number of senior players were very ordinary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s limited. He tries hard and he’s a good fella. But his disposal stinks and he has a rare knack for unforced errors. He’s basically a peak Liam Shiels (similar ability, good character etc) but he doesn’t have the superstars around him that Shiels did. Needs to be given defensive roles next year and let Worpel and others take ownership of the midfield. He just has no impact with ball in hand
The three of them just seem to have been out of synch all season .
Its hard to say if its Mitchell coming back in or simple they struggle too play together .
We just dont have many other options to throw in there.

The opposition seem to put most of the work into JOM . Gets blocked and they stop his run and momentum .
I wouldnt be averse to playing him on a hff then throwing him in the middle in spurts.
Is a tackling machine and can kick goals .

I think your assesment is very fair and on the mark.

We were average and lacked intensity most of the game but fu** footy is hard to watch when the umpires let guys throw and drop the ball. If I wanted to watch rugby I'd watch the Storm
Most annoying is the two sets of rules. The non decisions against the opposition and the instant calls against us. All we ask for is consistency and Yeah....pigs fly

In the 2016 semi, the Bulldogs smashed us through the middle and Clarkson whinged about the umpiring. Fast forward 4 years and Bulldogs still smashing us in the middle and Clarkson still whinging about the umpiring

We sold the farm to get Wingard and Omera and topped up with Patton and Scully who’s bodies are shot and now paying the price. Cupboard is bare and we have massive holes in both key positions as well as a crap ruckman who we have to keep playing for another 2 seasons when really he should be delisted

Our list strategy decisions have failed spectacularly and we are a genuine bottom 4 side. I can deal with all if that as long as the club acknowledges their failings and moves forward.

No more spin doctoring and complaining about umpiring, hub life, other coaches tactics etc, it’s embarrassing. Time will tell

Time has told mate

I can't watch Dan howe any more I could walk faster then he runs and he always seems to get knocked over without much force. Hardwicks form is also a worry , greaves looks better.

He should not have been playing. I doubt he could make a fist with his right hand.
The word was he wouldn’t play again this year, yet I think he put his hand up to help when Worpel went down.

I need a high.
2008, 2013, 2014 or 2015 GF.
someone decide for me pls.
3rd Q 2008 then first 15 minutes of the last quarter 2013 then from half way through 1st to halfway through the 2nd of 14 and 15

The word was he wouldn’t play again this year, yet I think he put his hand up to help when Worpel went down.

There has been a lot of handwringing today but when I look at who was out I don’t think it was horrendous.

There are holes and we need a midfield but I’ve seen us play much poorer than we did today

We took a gamble, it didn’t pay off. It was right to take the gamble - but it hasn’t worked. The club know exactly where this list is. We move on, hopefully with an exciting off season.

I lost my s**t a few times today but not at players (well may be sometimes) but at the umpiring.

They had no influence on the outcome - that was on us, but on the inconsistency and the lack of calls when they were clearly there

At half time there had been 66 tackles (between them) and only two frees paid. Both Derm and King commentated on it and complained about how the htb rule was back where it was at the beginning of the season and they wish it was back at being over called rather than not called.

Watching the dogs today you can understand why this didn’t sit well with Beveridge at the time - it certainly wouldn’t suit their throw game. The amount of throws, incorrect disposal and htb decisions they got away with today blew my mind

Pleasing second half effort. Day, Cousins, Finn and Greaves all showed good signs. Finn was very unlucky to not receive 2 HTB frees against the untouchable Bont. That bloke is the new Dangerfield.

Disappointing that we made another opposition ruck man look like Grundy. Also thought a number of senior players were very ordinary.
Bont also seems to suffer season ending injuries like Danger does that magically heal once play has moved on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back