Preview Round 19: Essendon vs Greater Western Sydney, Carrara, Sunday 25/07/2021 @ 6:10 PM

Whomst dost thouest thinketh will have a higher score?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was stunned too. Unfortunately he missed the shot.

C36687-DF-F2-FF-453-C-8-AA7-EBC65-C09-D6-F6.gif

I reckon Tarrant momentarily lost the ball in the sun. Look at the shadows. No way he gets out bodied under normal circumstances.

I was thanking the same thing.
Been told staff cover the ground with stuff after the Swans game so the dew doesn't come up. Should be a good 3 hours between games. We do have Black Caviar odds on AMT keeping his feet all game 😂👍.

Shiel in for Gueli.

Bryan in for waterman.

Zaka in for gleeson as the sub.

Not sure I like these changes.

Not sure how we run a team with Hooker, Draper, Wright and Bryan...

Zaharakis! Zaharakis!

Remember when he won us that Anzac Day game. That was only 12 years ago yet some think he’s past it.

The thing that impressed me most about that goal was that he took a chest mark inside 50 and played on under intense pressure. Conservative option was to go back. Now, in hindsight you just know if he had to kick over the mark, the ball would have been touched on the line. But to make that snap decision in the moment in one of his first few games, that’s true class. And class lasts forever. (Bring back James Hird).

He loves Metricon too. I’m tipping 20+ touches and 3 goals in this one. Then he’s not far off one last 2 year deal LOL

Waterman has been ok but should have been finishing his work with goals. Not something you ever have to say about DZ.

Zakka even at rising 32 and a shadow of his formal self is still superior to Waterman so I don’t mind that change. And Shiel an obvious upgrade on Guelfi who seems to always be a little stiff to get dropped as he has a decent crack but he’s certainly no Dylan Shiel

We are still missing a few from our best 22 - hopefully we can get back Caldwell, Langford & Francis over coming weeks and possibly McGrath if we manage to make the finals

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Waterman had an average game last weekend. Outbodied numerous times by Atley, and that shouldn’t happen. I didn’t see a lot of second and third efforts to put pressure on inside the forward fifty either - a lot of jogging, so the rest might do him good.

Zaharakis’ last few games in the seniors weren’t actually that bad from memory. Hopefully he gives a good account of himself and plays a role in a win.

Thought Waterman had an average game last weekend. Outbodied numerous times by Atley, and that shouldn’t happen. I didn’t see a lot of second and third efforts to put pressure on inside the forward fifty either - a lot of jogging, so the rest might do him good.

Zaharakis’ last few games in the seniors weren’t actually that bad from memory. Hopefully he gives a good account of himself and plays a role in a win.
Agreed, he is a bit of a plodder at times. A few times where Attley was stronger over the ball. Needs to drop a few kgs over the preseason while maintaining strength. Defensively slow and beaten to ball too often.

Having said that, had he nailed his chances in front of goal he would stayed in. 2-3 goals a game is a trade off for poor defensive work maybe.

They drop Geulfi of all people. Why?? Hard at the contest, never stops trying. At least waterman provides some stability up forward. While Hooker and others are fumbling around, at least he can take a no bull grab and isn't afraid to kick for goal from long range either.

Not sure about Zaharakis. Has good patches of play, but work ethic and effective ball use for four quarters, pretty inconsistent player at the best of times, for many years.

Why not ease Shiel back into form first in the VFL and manage his recovery slowly.

Last edited:
I don't mind the inclusion of Zaharakis, but I understand the angst around his selection.
Good argument to make that he's not part of the future and we're in rebuild mode - play the youngers is reasonable in that respect. But we are, inexplicably, in the top eight. Zaka hasn't been too bad recently. His defensive work has definitely improved so he's clearly still invested in the coaches' instructions rather than doing the arrogant veteran thing. And as mentioned above, he kicks goals and shows composure. If the aim is to do our best now to be able to play finals and also get those games into our draftees, then Zaka, at this stage, can probably be more helpful than Waterman. Long range view vis a vis experience for the youngers.

I don't mind the inclusion of Zaharakis, but I understand the angst around his selection.
Good argument to make that he's not part of the future and we're in rebuild mode - play the youngers is reasonable in that respect. But we are, inexplicably, in the top eight. Zaka hasn't been too bad recently. His defensive work has definitely improved so he's clearly still invested in the coaches' instructions rather than doing the arrogant veteran thing. And as mentioned above, he kicks goals and shows composure. If the aim is to do our best now to be able to play finals and also get those games into our draftees, then Zaka, at this stage, can probably be more helpful than Waterman. Long range view vis a vis experience for the youngers.
I agree with what your saying but in the back of my mind I wonder if I'm agreeing because that's what Zaharakis used to be like.

I don't know if he has kicked goals this year and I've got vague memories of him lacking composure this year at times.

I agree with what your saying but in the back of my mind I wonder if I'm agreeing because that's what Zaharakis used to be like.

I don't know if he has kicked goals this year and I've got vague memories of him lacking composure this year at times.
You may be right. I've just looked at his numbers for this year. 1.2 from eight games (not sure how many of those were as the sub though). My brain is telling me the goal he kicked was classic Zaharakis, but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

You may be right. I've just looked at his numbers for this year. 1.2 from eight games (not sure how many of those were as the sub though). My brain is telling me the goal he kicked was classic Zaharakis, but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.
I recall him kicking an on the run goal from about 45 maybe.

I wouldn't have dropped Guelfi either but there's certainly no need to get too upset with a few fringe players in Guelfi and Waterman going out and being replaced by another fringe player in Zaka and a returning Shiel.
If I have one concern about these changes its the risk of Shiel doing himself an injury returning straight up to the seniors after 4 months out. But the medical crew will have to answer for that decision one way or another.

Looking at GWS midfield they look stronger on paper for sure but they have their issues. There are doubts over Kelly's ankle (from memory this is already the second ankle type injury he's had this year and if you can't finish the previous game its always a bit dodgy when you front up the next week). Mumford also is supposedly still sore from the Sydney clash and lets face it he's like 36 and probably already played way more games this year than they wanted him to play. So could be an opportunity for Draper to get on top, though Mumford did outplay Draper in their last game. Also worth mentioning that Whitfield is first game back from a concussion which is always a bit iffy form wise - many players struggle a bit when they first come back.

I also look at their forward line and think geez if Himmelberg and Hogan don't fire - I don't see a lot of goals coming from their smalls unless their midfield is truly dominating. Their bench also looks a bit underwhelming and they seem to be very stretched depth wise (not their fault with COVID but still worth pointing out). I'd definitely be freeing up Ridley this game to intercept - let Laverde and Stewart take their 2 main talls. Redman and Hind could be huge threats offensively if their smalls can't make themselves dangerous. Basically they'll need a lot of damage from their midfield to keep our defense honest.

All up my prediction is GWS will have a small win in the midfield but I could potentially see our backline really winning big both in terms of intercepting and attacking rebound given their forward line is a bit toothless. Toby Greene is a massive loss for them, really unlucky there.

Essendon by 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back