Autopsy Round 19 = Port Adelaide 97-69 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I must be one of the very few who feels Sidey is nowhere near as bad as what is made out. Still finds the ball and keeps running. Sure some of the decision making could be better and disposal is hit or miss, but that could also be reflected in the options available from a inexperienced and bottom 4 team.

Of the kids, I thought Henry and Ruscoe were the standouts. Ruscoe actually reminds me a little of Maynard in his first couple of years.
I can see Macrae really having a future. He seems to kick off one step, but will get better. A couple of pre-seasons of conditioning and can see him as a real accumulator like his brother.
Tohill needs a few games. Such a good size with speed and nice kick. I'd continue playing him. I would even give him a go a full forward have him use his pace to lead. The bombing long to Cox just doesn't work. May as well have more speed leading.
I thought Poulter had an average game. I think he needs a rest.
While Ginnivan didn't see much of it, he seems to have some class about him, and as Dave said, you do get a feeling something is going to happen when he has the ball.
Bianco played another measured game and should also have a career.

And Madge has been good the past 2 weeks.

While it pains me, we can't bring Mayne back in. We need to play these kids and a more direct game, which unfortunately, doesn't seem to be the Mayne way.

Dont understand the hate on Harvey. Hes changed the game style to more direct through the corridor and fast ball use. And he's playingthe kids.

I think most are happy with us playing a more aggressive ball movement game, but that is only because we've endured 2 years of trash from Bucks (bless his soul).

But that sub decision tonight takes us back to some of the really perplexing calls from the Bucks era coaching. Cox there makes no sense at all, Harvs suggests it was an age or experience thing in his presser, but geez that hardly cuts it as an excuse. If Cox was an aging mid, or Mayne like utility player who was miles out of form (like Cox is), I could buy the "he will help coach and help players prepare angle". But an immobile two position player....Wow...

Then we should have got one of the statues that surround the G and we'd have been 3 goals better off.
I agree... I think we need to move on from both him and Mayne. Too many things need to be perfect for Cox to get a mark and we know things are very rarely perfect during a game

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sidey is going to be a dilemma for the club at seasons end. Decision to bite the bullet and trade him, or decide he wont be a regular next season, with the youngsters coming through, and let him decide his future. Been a champion of the club, but nothing lasts forever.....
It’s all over @ Collingwood for Steele

I must be one of the very few who feels Sidey is nowhere near as bad as what is made out. Still finds the ball and keeps running. Sure some of the decision making could be better and disposal is hit or miss, but that could also be reflected in the options available from a inexperienced and bottom 4 team.

Of the kids, I thought Henry and Ruscoe were the standouts. Ruscoe actually reminds me a little of Maynard in his first couple of years.
I can see Macrae really having a future. He seems to kick off one step, but will get better. A couple of pre-seasons of conditioning and can see him as a real accumulator like his brother.
Tohill needs a few games. Such a good size with speed and nice kick. I'd continue playing him. I would even give him a go a full forward have him use his pace to lead. The bombing long to Cox just doesn't work. May as well have more speed leading.
I thought Poulter had an average game. I think he needs a rest.
While Ginnivan didn't see much of it, he seems to have some class about him, and as Dave said, you do get a feeling something is going to happen when he has the ball.
Bianco played another measured game and should also have a career.

And Madge has been good the past 2 weeks.

While it pains me, we can't bring Mayne back in. We need to play these kids and a more direct game, which unfortunately, doesn't seem to be the Mayne way.
I love the direct footy but we need a fallback position because we now always seem to go for broke - that's fine in theory - but teams are too well coached now and they quickly get onto that sort of thing and fill up the corridor or have players waiting on the fringe of it to cut off passes.
Port seemed to do that a bit at stages and made us look ordinary.
More flexibility is needed from the coaching staff and more onfield leadership to fine tune on the field.

I love the direct footy but we need a fallback position because we now always seem to go for broke - that's fine in theory - but teams are too well coached now and they quickly get onto that sort of thing and fill up the corridor or have players waiting on the fringe of it to cut off passes.
Port seemed to do that a bit at stages and made us look ordinary.
More flexibility is needed from the coaching staff and more onfield leadership to fine tune on the field.

Need find the Sweet Spot between Bucks and Harvey's Gameplans

I agree... I think we need to move on from both him and Mayne. Too many things need to be perfect for Cox to get a mark and we know things are very rarely perfect during a game

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
If the AFL were ever going to relent and allow Cox to have frees paid for arm chopping and tunneling I would say persist with him but as that isn't going to happen he has no future in the game.

Positives:
- Our defensive line works. We've covered for Moore, Howe, & now Mayne.
- Ruscoe has won me over, very tidy player.
- Ginnivan belongs, did some fine things.
- Henry took another step after a good showing last week
- We kept fighting, I thought we were cooked at half-time but credit to the team they got themseves back into it.
- We are so much better to watch at the moment, I don't miss the uberdefensive style of play.
- Players are played in their right positions, Macrae is not a forward (neither is C. Brown). Macrae will make it.
- Checkers played well.

Negatives:
- Injury to Pendles
- We lost
- Adams injury cloud, and his short passing kills us.
- Checkers kicking for goal.

WTF:
- Umpiring
- Cox as the injury sub

Fact:
- Kochie is a dickhead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives:
- Our defensive line works. We've covered for Moore, Howe, & now Mayne.
- Ruscoe has won me over, very tidy player.
- Ginnivan belongs, did some fine things.
- Henry took another step after a good showing last week
- We kept fighting, I thought we were cooked at half-time but credit to the team they got themseves back into it.
- We are so much better to watch at the moment, I don't miss the uberdefensive style of play.
- Players are played in their right positions, Macrae is not a forward (neither is C. Brown). Macrae will make it.
- Checkers played well.

Negatives:
- Injury to Pendles
- We lost
- Adams injury cloud, and his short passing kills us.
- Checkers kicking for goal.

WTF:
- Umpiring
- Cox as the injury sub

Fact:
- Kochie is a dickhead
Like dispensed especially for the Kochie comment - the biggest simpleton since Edleston.

We don't have a lot of absolute star talent coming through, but we have so much young guys who looks quality future Ayers it's not funny.

Quaynor, Henry, McRae, Poulter, Bianco and now add in Ruscoe in his position. It feels to me like an era shift, and I'm so glad we've been able to do it without getting pumped each week like so many others. I can see these guys all playing 150 plus games for the club.

We don't have a lot of absolute star talent coming through, but we have so much young guys who looks quality future Ayers it's not funny.

Quaynor, Henry, McRae, Poulter, Bianco and now add in Ruscoe in his position. It feels to me like an era shift, and I'm so glad we've been able to do it without getting pumped each week like so many others. I can see these guys all playing 150 plus games for the club.

What about Nick Daicos?

We had a Future Absolute Star but we traded him

What did you mean by Ayers Quality?

I agree the youngsters look good, pleased for Henry after his first couple of games, and pleased Ruscoe found a home, but the youngsters look "Collingwood good". A bit runtish in size and shape, dependent on a bit of scavenge and a lot of graft... Silk does not come along very often, hopefully next year!, but I'd love if there were some bigger bodies/KP's that make you sit up with a bit of "they're showing enough"

When your bottom 4-6….you need to ignore the score and look for positives…

1. anyone who think Henry won’t be crazy good in 2 years once he builds he body is crazy.!!! That guy just knows what to do. Sticky hands (last player I made that call about was Elliot). Anyone who’s seen him play in VFL knows he will Take everything near him once he gets some more body strength. Has the pace of the game.

2. ruscoe- wtf!!!!!! Talk about chalk and cheese! Looks composed, clean and is making super good decisions off half back. Still some work on 1-1 defence. But I compare him to Maynard (who was just complete rubbish from games 1-20..very likely from games 20-50)

3.Maccrea had a good 3rd qtr. like that they are playing him in the middle. Keep doing that for the rest of the year.

4. Tohill. Nervous early. Showed enough that in the current year, play him again. Has some serious attributes and needs to learn the speed of the game. Think Harvey did a good job playing him.

5. Checkers..:could possibly be the most selfish player on the list….JDG or him are a close race!!! Cost us at 3 least goals tonight with selfish rubbish……but I’m sure there will be plenty that thought he kept us in it!!

6. Poulter…..looks a player and we already know he’ll be very very good….but needs a rest. Has plenty to work on from stop play scenarios. But damn he works his arse offf!!!

ps. Teams up the ladder always get the run from the umps. so don’t stress about that

You’re not talking star quality of Stephenson are you? He’ll be another Aish In the end.
Stevo was a kid that had a dream debut year and let it go to his head, became a knob in the end.
Talent isn't always enough.
Two way running and doing the hard things to help out a team mate are worth more.

We gave away at least 4 goals from poor disposal under no pressure, 2 outrageous goals to Dixon, Pendles injured early, Tay probably just after half time. Henry was good and I thought Macrae jumped a huge level, clearly a big future. Even when he coughed it up, he was doing impressive things in packs. Ruscoe has vision and will kick creatively from HB. I don't know why people are criticizing Grundy. He played very well. JDG started well but went a bit quiet. I have thought Sidey was past it this year, but tonight he was serviceable, which is all we can expect unless he gets stronger and tries to get his evasion back up over preseason. Tohill had a shocker and has no future in a team with Moore, Howe, Kelly etc.

The thing I hated most, who was on Houston and other Port players who kept overlapping for handballs? They had no other strategy, so we just needed accountable small forwards. Why can't we do that with Q and Noble and Crisp? Even when we go quick, it's rarely a handball from a D50 mark. All in all, with McInnes and Nick coming in, McReery coming back, lots to like but sadly, not before Pendles, Sidey, and maybe Howe and Roughy are gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back