Toast Round 2 = Collingwood 135-64 Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

So . . .

Getting back to the game . . .

Finally got the time to watch the full game.

Our gamestyle hasn't changed . . . it's been refined . . .

Some players that were targets and lesser playmakers are now spending time blocking and pattern running to enable other players.

It doesn't sound like much of a change but for me the results are evident.

Just picking one player out - Q seems to have his role modified - he still runs with dash but when he doesn't have the ball he blocks/harasses to create opportunities. He's not the only one of course and it's not a huge thing as I say but for me it's significant.

Noticed Tom Mitchell still getting free kicks when he's held in the center bounce, even against reputable players like Travis Boak. How long before they stop paying these???

First game live this year....
See so much more at the game that you do on TV.

Like Pendles in the third, at a boundary throw in on our D50 yelling at Tay (who was playing HF) to organise the forwards.
Tay then goes and directs the players and positions them.....we get the clearance directly to one of the players Tay moved and away we go.

Or Noble, leaving his man in the last on the wing...which at the time i thought was a silly move because he had a long way to run.
But we halved the contest and Noble arrived to be the extra....gets it drives it forward.
But what impressed me most was that Maynard saw Noble leave his man and rolled up immediately. So even if we lose that contest, its no certainty that they have the free downfield.

Beau with absolutely nothing to kick to....chips it and just wants to halve the contest 30m downfield. Multiple efforts with nothing more on the line than forcing a stoppage and getting territory. We end up winning it back.
Hearing McStay yesterday say his role was to nullify Allir......which i was hoping before the game we would put some attention into him.
Coaches were bang on here.
Went a long way to allowing us to score when the game was hot by making sure he didn't dominate the air (albeit he had a shocker as well....which helped!)

The intensity of the chase and the tackling was first class.
last week Port broke those tackles and were gone. This week we held on and forced either a turnover or stoppage.
Its our defensive intensity that is driving our offence. Without that, we will look mid pack.

Thought McStay and Checkers went for the same ball too many times. Would like to see them organise themselves a bit better so they are not both at the same contest. But having said that, they didn't really spoil each other....but something to work on.

Early days still, but its good to see how organised we appear. Something you don't appreciate on TV.

First game live this year....
See so much more at the game that you do on TV...
Great post.

I would have liked to examine/analyse as well but it turns out the older I get the blinder I get and could see 2/3 of * all without my glasses on. I actually wanted to track Frampton to see how he fits into the D50 group... and then I got carried away enjoying the goal fest and completely forgot.

Great post.

I would have liked to examine/analyse as well but it turns out the older I get the blinder I get and could see 2/3 of * all without my glasses on. I actually wanted to track Frampton to see how he fits into the D50 group... and then I got carried away enjoying the goal fest and completely forgot.
When im at the ground and someone is having a shot for goal i watch their reaction instead of the ball

Great post.

Yup it's easy to get caught up in the goal fest at times.

I usually watch away from the ball to see the structures and setup.
I enjoy the strategic and tactical side of the game and why teams do well against others etc.

Frampton was actually great for us IMO.
I was really happy with him.

Never played on the G, first game for new club in a gamestyle he has openly said is very very different to how he's played in the past.

Yes Dixon kicked 2 in the opening qtr....but i don't put either against billy in the context of what he is supposed to bring for the team.
First was quick kick /mark to Dixon 80, then a technical 50 because he took a step backwards....i'll show you 10 others for the day from both teams not paid. So i'm fine with that and whilst stupid, won't be the last player to do that.

Second was a double back hit up lead of 10m that no defender is stopping. So again, that's not on him in my book.
After that, he halved a 1v1 (his supposed weakness) on the wing, kept his feet in contests where he was isolated and i don't remember him getting outmarked in a 1v1 / contested situation.
What more can you ask for against Dixon & Marshell.....who are both very good talls?

His kicking was just ok. Someone else eluded the to trajectory and speed. He will learn from that and as he grows in confidence, i'm sure his disposal will too.
No frills, do your job kind of game.
A promising start from my POV.

Super impressive again yesterday. One thing that stands out for me this year is how composed and controlled we are when we have to pick our way around the line or out of defence with short passes and handballs. If the oppo blocks the corridor at times and pushes us wide it just doesn’t seem to phase us. When we have to ease off the pedal at times and pick off short passes we’ve been very good. Think we’ve gone up a level in this aspect of the game and it makes us much harder to beat.

Yep, we know we've backed teams into a corner when we start working the boundary line. They're shitting bricks that we'll swing it back through the middle, meanwhile we're waltzing along the wing picking apart the defence at ease.

The most noticeable thing to date is our running power. We've got the game plan, but now have the fitness up to scratch.

Going to be fascinating as to how the coaches manage the players through the season. We're playing finals football in March. A tad scary but super exciting nonetheless.

And Nick did what superstars of the past have done "I'm going to play how I want, good luck stopping me." Then ran rampant for 4 quarters.

Kenny thought Nick would have to play on the half forward and be defensively accountable 😂

Of all players, they had Lachie Jones on Naics. Nick would have been licking his lips with that matchup. You need a like for like to go with him such as Ryan Clarke, who will sacrifice their own game. Although i think this year we'll see Nick run through the midfield and push forward when the tag comes his way.

It's the potential to cause injury. They have to stamp this BS out of the game. No need to sling him whatsoever.
Easier said then done in the heat of battle.
I still think 2 weeks extreme. He wasn't trying to knock his head into the turf. 1 week at most if even that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A little extreme. I don't feel their was intent. Free kick 💯
Agree,
Fine max.
The Adelaide one deserved a week max.

You can go over the top to make a point and lose the people in the process.

The head needs to be protected sure.

There is also a need to accept the reality that AFL.

If they really want to absolutely stop all head trauma then stop the competition.

Agree,
Fine max.
The Adelaide one deserved a week max.

You can go over the top to make a point and lose the people in the process.

The head needs to be protected sure.

There is also a need to accept the reality that AFL.

If they really want to absolutely stop all head trauma then stop the competition.
If the rate of high bumps and dangerous tackles doesn't abate, the league will have no choice but to further increase penalties. They need to be (seen to be) doing everything reasonably possible to protect players. And if current sentencing doesn't influence behaviours, then they will have to go harder.

If the rate of high bumps and dangerous tackles doesn't abate, the league will have no choice but to further increase penalties. They need to be (seen to be) doing everything reasonably possible to protect players. And if current sentencing doesn't influence behaviours, then they will have to go harder.
Are Port Adelaide challenging it? I think they should - to get the impact from high to medium and down to a week. Jeez Jordy was lucky in the preseason.

Thought McStay and Checkers went for the same ball too many times. Would like to see them organise themselves a bit better so they are not both at the same contest. But having said that, they didn't really spoil each other....but something to work on.
I'm pretty sure it's intentional. Contested marks up forward are a bonus. Bringing it to ground is the bread and butter and two up does that a lot more often than one up does.

Are Port Adelaide challenging it? I think they should - to get the impact from high to medium and down to a week. Jeez Jordy was lucky in the preseason.
No idea about Port. Probably worth a try as the whole impact thingy is a bit confusing. The Guidelines say the potential to cause injury MUST be factored into the determination of impact for dangerous tackles, amongst other acts. Simply can't see how that doesn't take the Elliott tackle(or pretty much any other) into high impact.

Jordy was lucky(good) on Saturday when he almost delivered a hard high bump but pulled up just in time to only deliver minimal impact.

I'm pretty sure it's intentional. Contested marks up forward are a bonus. Bringing it to ground is the bread and butter and two up does that a lot more often than one up does.
Not when its on the outer wing and its a 2v2 with no one around (checkers came down with it, so all was well).
Agree if its a pack up fwd - thats fine....bombing it in isn't what we want anyway.

When you think about it, checkers really hasn't had to work with another KF who can run and get to as many contests....so it will take a while for them to work it out and trust each other to do the job in the contest.

Like i said, hardly the biggest issue and will come with time (had to find something to nit pick about the weekends performance!!!!)

Edit: just realised it could have been because McStay was following Aliir who went to the contest as well....in which case....well done McStay!
Haven't seen the replay, but that would certainly explain it.

When im at the ground and someone is having a shot for goal i watch their reaction instead of the ball

When I’m at the ground and someone is having a shot for goal - I still get Travis Cloke anxiety. I’m psychologically damaged by his years of missed set shots.

When I’m at the ground and someone is having a shot for goal - I still get Travis Cloke anxiety. I’m psychologically damaged by his years of missed set shots.
I started doing it at the 2009 semi against the Crows when Jack Anthony kicked that goal. Was too scared to watch where it was going and watched him. Ended well. Crow w***ers next to me that we’re talking match ups against Geelong the following week at half time didn’t like me much after that.

The players reaction is the first thing i look at. Then crowd noise. Then the ump i guess. Then the unnecessary ARC review usually

The cheer squad is pretty reliable too. The deathly silence when the opposition score a goal is the most accurate sign.☹️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back