Autopsy Round 19 vs Carlton, Metricon Stadium, 7:25pm, 28 July 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Off the back of one of our best wins ever.

We roll into another winnable game.

Will be looking to back it up.

Will be interesting to see if we have any changes?

Powell and Ballard looked tired at times.

Martin, Swallow, Fiorini could all possibly find their way back into the team.

Last edited:
Heart says: We're coming back home with a wet sail and we're gonna blow 'em off the park.
Head says: I've been hurt before...

I'm hoping beyond hope that yesterday was a turning point in our history but I'm pretty sure i've said that before.

Go and take care of business boys, that's all I ask.

Swallow Martin Fiorini should play if fit
Being dropped for the younger (or older) guys shouldn't be seen as punishment but a sign of the list finally strengthening
I made the comment after the Water polo in Cairns that it's impossible to bring that sort of effort week in week out for a young team and that will be the case next week
All teams need skill and polish and Swallow and Martin do that for our team

Last edited:
This is a hard one. But definitely believe Swallow, Martin and Fiorini need a spot in order to rest other young guys. Even with Barlows outstanding performances in NEAFL would like to see him selected, I just can't see were. Hard to change a a winning side, especially a performance as solid as that one

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Martin - Powell is a given if Martin is right , getting Swallow and Fiorini in a touch harder , maybe Lonergan and Ballard , Holman got injured so keep a eye on him , but a different feeling we are squeezing players in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fiorini and Swallow definitely come in. Martin too if he's healthy. Scrimshaw was also very good in the 2s yesterday.

Powell one that comes out. Unsure who the guy who comes out for Swallow will be. Ballard looked absolutely spent in the fourth quarter. Had trouble standing up at stages there. I don't think we'll bring Lonergan in for one week and then drop him.

We finished with a few sore boys I saw. Brodie had his quad very heavily strapped. Holman hurt his shoulder and had it strapped. Young was limping at the end and looked very proppy too.

Martin - Powell is a given if Martin is right , getting Swallow and Fiorini in a touch harder , maybe Lonergan and Ballard , Holman got injured so keep a eye on him , but a different feeling we are squeezing players in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I believe besides Holman shoulder injury also Lemmens played out with corkie to quad and Young hurt his ankle.

Lonergan > Swallow
Powell > Martin
Fiorini > lemmens/rischitelli (anywhere you can fit him)
I don't think that symbol means what you think it means.

I agree that Martin should come in as a straight swap for Powell, which the kid would take as a compliment.

Don't be so quick to write off Rischa because of his stats - his leadership and sharp disposal in defence got us out of trouble plenty of times.

Maybe Lemmens comes out, but his pressure acts were a major contributing factor, let down by his awful goal shooting, but I'd put Swallow up forward in his place.

Lonergan stays. First of all, he had 11 effective disposals. Doesn't sound like much until you consider that Brodie had 14 effective disposals, Miller 15, May 13, Weller 17, Kolodjashnij 12, Lyons 13, Wright 13, Sexton 12, Holman 11, Young 10, Harbrow 10, Lemmens 10, Joyce 10, Ballard 10, Ah Chee 9, Rischitelli 9, Witts 7, Heron 6, Crossley 6, Powell 5, Thompson 3. Only 8 blokes had more effective disposals than him, while he fought harder for his than most others gathering 4 clearances, 2 R50s, 2 I50s, a goal assist, 3 tackles, 2 1%ers and muscled his way around the contest to nullify some of Sydney's most damaging mids.

Fiorini may well be a victim of circumstance, as will Bowes, Barlow, Scheer, Dawson, Rosa, Scrimshaw, Spencer, Leslie, and Schoenfeld (non-playing emergency) who are all playing AFL standard footy in the NEAFL, plus Hanley and Ainsworth, who were rested altogether but were otherwise declared fit to play.

I don't think that symbol means what you think it means.

I agree that Martin should come in as a straight swap for Powell, which the kid would take as a compliment.

Don't be so quick to write off Rischa because of his stats - his leadership and sharp disposal in defence got us out of trouble plenty of times.

Maybe Lemmens comes out, but his pressure acts were a major contributing factor, let down by his awful goal shooting, but I'd put Swallow up forward in his place.

Lonergan stays. First of all, he had 11 effective disposals. Doesn't sound like much until you consider that Brodie had 14 effective disposals, Miller 15, May 13, Weller 17, Kolodjashnij 12, Lyons 13, Wright 13, Sexton 12, Holman 11, Young 10, Harbrow 10, Lemmens 10, Joyce 10, Ballard 10, Ah Chee 9, Rischitelli 9, Witts 7, Heron 6, Crossley 6, Powell 5, Thompson 3. Only 8 blokes had more effective disposals than him, while he fought harder for his than most others gathering 4 clearances, 2 R50s, 2 I50s, a goal assist, 3 tackles, 2 1%ers and muscled his way around the contest to nullify some of Sydney's most damaging mids.

Fiorini may well be a victim of circumstance, as will Bowes, Barlow, Scheer, Dawson, Rosa, Scrimshaw, Spencer, Leslie, and Schoenfeld (non-playing emergency) who are all playing AFL standard footy in the NEAFL, plus Hanley and Ainsworth, who were rested altogether but were otherwise declared fit to play.
I know what it means mathematically. Using in this situation as an arrow - just got Fiorini and lemmens/rischitelli the wrong way around

I know what it means mathematically. Using in this situation as an arrow - just got Fiorini and lemmens/rischitelli the wrong way around
Just mucking around, mate. It confused me at first (bit hungover after yesterday's game) then I realised what you meant.

I hope Ballard can get himself up, love that kid.. he has the composure of Kolo but actually knows when he is about to get tackled... multi skilled and has the height of a key position but the rebound of a flanker.. he clearly has man strength to put on obviously. We have really found something here... I'm excited!

I hope Ballard can get himself up, love that kid.. he has the composure of Kolo but actually knows when he is about to get tackled... multi skilled and has the height of a key position but the rebound of a flanker.. he clearly has man strength to put on obviously. We have really found something here... I'm excited!
He talks about being inside/outside midfielder eventually. I love watching him.

He talks about being inside/outside midfielder eventually. I love watching him.
For the first time since the opening rounds we can safely cope with players being rested or omitted or whatever the media wants to call a non-selection because there are legitimate options. I'd rather Ballard sit out a game and then potentially play some NEAFL if he's injured than be a liability. Glad they didn't rush Hanley back in because after a game of NEAFL he missed both game yesterday. If Scrimshaw came in for Ballard it would be a like for like swap.

I don't know why Ballard need to be rested , he look a lot like Rayner situation , some players just need to push through it .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back