Review Round 2, 2020 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

chickentendies will never hear any criticism from me about the tickets incident ever again.

Actually, he should, from now on, always give away his Showdown tickets for Crows barrackers. He has my total support on that.

I'm ready to defend him through and through!

You also have to look at the reason why the eagles and crows were invented.

The Eagles were invented to save WA footy, stop clubs selling players for transfer fees to survive, to keep the game healthy, and when the Vics screwed them and said you have to come up with $4mil upfront in 30 days time, rather than $400k x 10 years, 5 individuals stuck their hand in their pocket and paid $1mil each and said we will worry about getting finances right later, because in the long run this is the best thing for footy in this state.

Its why I respect the WCE. They were set up to save WA Footy from falling over. The WAFC knew they couldn't keep doing the same thing. They had to take a risk, and the bi-product was a national comp. I don't live there so I don't have to deal with their fans. I don't give a stuff about them. If I lived in Perth, I probably would.

The Crows were invented to maintain the revenue streams of the SANFL and its clubs. It wasn't about the footy otherwise they would have done a deal with the WAFC, lets go in together, lets make sure we both don't get screwed. But SANFL said noway we aren't paying you any money, you're not worth it, we are fine all by ourselves, we don't need you, we are comfortable etc. Even at the May 1990 conference they said, we don't want to play in a 14 team comp, we don't want to pay you any money, we don't want to come in for another 3 years etc etc. Then Port jumps and says fu** this, we want to be in the big league, and everyone else reacts, and because of being worried about their future bank balance, say lets stop the bastards.

They deceived themselves and the footy public that the big bad Vics would be a backward step. The leaders of the SANFL just transferred to the crows and deception is still the main policy.

The Eagles are like modern Australia, have opened up to the world, are progressive, and as they went up the wealth ladder, they have used that wealth to reinvest in their future, ie footy department. The crows are like old protectionist Australia. Stuck in the protectionist tariff era of the 1990's. Scared of the big bad new world order, always watching the pennies, scared of taking big risks and they wont go anywhere until they make the big structural changes.

Its why I always look at foundations to understand why things are the way they are today. If you don't join the dots and you forget or don't understand the past, and why things are the way they are, you wont see and understand the future and what's coming down the pipeline.
POTY

chickentendies will never hear any criticism from me about the tickets incident ever again.

Actually, he should, from now on, always give away his Showdown tickets for Crows barrackers. He has my total support on that.

I'm ready to defend him through and through!

Yeah I'm using the /s next time I s**t stir

Back all those years ago imagine if Port what in first and then say Norwood. As much as I have no love for Norwood but just imagine the rivalry in this state at the top level. It would be epic.

Port - Norwood at a packed Adelaide Oval is everything the showdown should be and a sad reminder of everything it isn't.

Yeah I'm using the /s next time I sh*t stir

In hindsight I wish you'd been serious. The only thing better than a crushing Showdown win in front of 50,000 Port supporters is a crushing Showdown win in front of 50,000 Crows supporters.

We've had three chances so far to really wrench away supporters from Adelaide and have stuffed them all.

2004 after choking jokes for 2001-2003 we get the flag. Follow it up with 2005 where they spank us in the finals. Chance blown.
2007 we're a young exciting team to watch. Get to GF and it's aftermath of 2008-2012. Chance blown.
2014 a new Oval, a Gameday experience that is the envy of the football world, a close preliminary final loss. The AFL world loves us and the state is ours for the taking. Next minute 2015-2019. Chance blown.

We don't need to win the flag to grab younger supporters, but we need to
a) Not implode
b) Get a Women's team up and going ASAP. We're lucky in the AWFL cut short this season meant Adelaide had nothing to hang their hat on, but the men's team sh*t or not, young girls (and by extension whole families with daughters) are still going to gravitate to a team with players they can emulate.

Get an AWFL team in whilst Adelaide are sh*t and don't fu** up AFL side and the next 5 years is where we can really make inroads into getting closer to even support between us and them.
Spot on

Speaking of the Bond brothers, I was having a rather entertaining chat with a slightly inebriated Shane Bond in the Magarey Room after a game either last year or the year before. I was introduced by one of my friends who attended school with Bond.
One thing led to another and i asked about Troy and the Crows.

"Hahahaha Troy ******* hates the Crows. Hahaha he's Port through and through. ******* hates the Crows...."
In fairness, if I played for Port and my brother played for the Crows, I would definitely stitch him up by telling random people stuff like this whether it was true or not.

"Troy Bond apparently spends more time at Alberton with ex Maggies team mates, his brother and some ex Power players than he does at the crows." (RussellEbertHandball)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back