Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives
Statistically we did alright at the contest which probably helped limit the damage.
We almost got through but turnovers killed us.
Not worried about Ginbey and Reid just will take time.
Negatives
Turnovers at critical times.
Flynn hopefully can improve our ruck situation which is pretty bleak in the short term. Barnett predictably got smashed.
We are on less than 50%. Miles off the pace. Bleak times.

Briggs is a lump of a bloke and a proper ruckmen. Bailey is more of fwd/ruck. But seriously we needed more out of Bailey especially after last season.
Thought BBW got better as 2023 went on really.

Has stalled a bit.

Need to make him Red Ross

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cole is a fairly ordinary conveyance.
Fan of JJs but the first kick to a man in front goes high and seconds later the kick to A man behind goes low.
BW? Geez mate you stand around like a stale bottle of piss!! For Gods sake mate when the ball is anywhere near you ; you are the biggest bloke there. GO GET THE F##KING BALL!! You are the nearly man!
If you ever decide to hunt the ball you could be scary.
Hunt seems to burn early then run out of petrol tickets.
Ginbey for all the stats ; go harder earlier!!
Kelly learn to LOOK!! Look infield when charging forward.
Harley moves!! No hesitation! No “ I’ve done my bit now I get to rest”!!! Up and at ‘em!!
- our assistant coaches need a rocket. For goodness sake fellas can’t you work out that Taylor is going to mark most kicks in the air??? Petrol , Brockman and Cripps showed bits at times but surely you need to play to their strengths.
Low, grubbers,space .
It’s almost like it’s considered a “football mortal sin” to not kick long and high!!
Barass finally decided to mark the ball.It’s ya One Wood son!
Well done Gov!
Give Barnett more games!
F##k English!
The attack on the contest is certainly better but the attack on the ball needs to improve,. Yes it’s not quite the same thing.

If Burgiel is fit why not give him a game v WB at Etihad

Tell Speedy boi run

Could unearth a gem

Gov and TB play OK at Telstra Dome

Looking forward to see how Harley goes under the roof at Colonial Stadium.

Marvel-lous

Briggs 200cm
BBW 199cm

Briggs 28 games
BBW 50 games

Why he dominated so much?

I don't think Williams has the desire or the aggression to be a decent ruckman. The club finally realised that after investing 5 or 6 years into grooming him to be the Number 1 ruckman. They don't want to write off that entire investment of time and resources and admit how badly they misjudged things, so now they are trying to find another spot on the field to shoehorn him into. Thus, we had the "BW is really a forward" talking points all summer. They will end up having to delist him after another couple of years of him not cementing a non - ruck spot in the side and getting smashed when he is forced into the ruck because we have nobody else.

I don't think Williams has the desire or the aggression to be a decent ruckman. The club finally realised that after investing 5 or 6 years into grooming him to be the Number 1 ruckman. They don't want to write off that entire investment of time and resources and admit how badly they misjudged things, so now they are trying to find another spot on the field to shoehorn him into. Thus, we had the "BW is really a forward" talking points all summer. They will end up having to delist him after another couple of years of him not cementing a non - ruck spot in the side and getting smashed when he is forced into the ruck because we have nobody else.

He is the prime example of picking up and athlete hoping they can become a footballer rather than a footballer who shows they can play the game..
I don’t know what athletic trait he has, anything requiring coordination is out as he is incapable of putting two arms out and two arms up to try and mark, he isn’t quick nor that mobile.

This contract should see him out as he isn’t going to make it..

I’d still get English and play him at centre half forward. Flynn can ruck and English can do it forward and provide a big marking target

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’ve said for a few years he would be a better forward than ruck.It’s a bit hard when he’s trained as a forward and at the last minute he’s back into the grind of getting smashed at ruck contests.It would surely be a psychological downer.

Cole is a fairly ordinary conveyance.
Fan of JJs but the first kick to a man in front goes high and seconds later the kick to A man behind goes low.
BW? Geez mate you stand around like a stale bottle of piss!! For Gods sake mate when the ball is anywhere near you ; you are the biggest bloke there. GO GET THE F##KING BALL!! You are the nearly man!
If you ever decide to hunt the ball you could be scary.
Hunt seems to burn early then run out of petrol tickets.
Ginbey for all the stats ; go harder earlier!!
Kelly learn to LOOK!! Look infield when charging forward.
Harley moves!! No hesitation! No “ I’ve done my bit now I get to rest”!!! Up and at ‘em!!
- our assistant coaches need a rocket. For goodness sake fellas can’t you work out that Taylor is going to mark most kicks in the air??? Petrol , Brockman and Cripps showed bits at times but surely you need to play to their strengths.
Low, grubbers,space .
It’s almost like it’s considered a “football mortal sin” to not kick long and high!!
Barass finally decided to mark the ball.It’s ya One Wood son!
Well done Gov!
Give Barnett more games!
F##k English!
The attack on the contest is certainly better but the attack on the ball needs to improve,. Yes it’s not quite the same thing.
Post content to bigfooty handle on point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excited by the prospect of Brockman getting consistent games this year. Looks like such a clean player - makes every touch count and just has that poise and good decision making in traffic.

Feel like Liam Ryan coming into the side in a few weeks will get the best out of him. They could form a really dangerous duo if Ryan gets up and going

Excited by the prospect of Brockman getting consistent games this year. Looks like such a clean player - makes every touch count and just has that poise and good decision making in traffic.

Feel like Liam Ryan coming into the side in a few weeks will get the best out of him. They could form a really dangerous duo if Ryan gets up and going
Yes that's something to keep watching for. Also if Sheed can help the younger mids out or whether he is in the Gaff exit lounge. Gonna be good to see if Culley can make an impact. Archer Reid maybe later in the year. Hewett hopefully as fast as last year. Bit to play out. I expect that a bit like last year we are more competitive in the 2nd half of the year.

You can't expect too much from the likes of Sheed, Ryan and Culley if and when they come into the side. They have had all had basically no pre season conditioning at all. Massive disadvantage. They will likely struggle to even run out a game. I don't think any of them are good enough to get picked straight away when available if they have had no pre season, as opposed to an A grader like a Tim Kelly who you would pick as soon as you could. They should spend significant time in the WAFL before being considered and i wouldn't expect too much if they do come in at some stage.

Bullied about by what is in my opinion the best team in the competition.

Individually, both McGovern and Yeo turned back the clock, leading the defence and midfield respectively.

Hunt was very good running both ways from half back again.

Of the next generation, Reid is a joy to watch, Ginbey took another step forward, Chesser continued on from his cameo last week, and Hough kept Greene goalless after first minute of the match whilst GWS went inside their attack 66 times.

With Briggs doing as he pleased in the ruck against Barnett / Williams and providing first use to GWS' stacked midfield, all semblance of positional structure was lost as players rolled back to cover the damage being done.

Four things that stuck out for me in this match:

1. Skill execution
GWS came with intensity - their 83 tackles in this match was more than their total from their opening two rounds combined.
In the face of that pressure, the skills of West Coast fell to pieces. Regulation kicks, handballs and tackles were poorly executed and provided opportunity to GWS.

2. Turnover scores
Leading on from the previous, GWS won scores from turnover 72-15. That's the result right there.

3. Red-time goals
GWS scored 7 of their 16 goals with less than 4 minutes left on the clock in the quarter. To put it another way, that's more than 40% of their score occurring in just 20% of game time. With a team that can be expected to tire early, a lot more could [should] be done to prevent fatigue from turning into opposition goals late in quarters.

4. The stoppages
Considering the absolute dominance Briggs had in the ruck (hit-outs 24-44), West Coast came close to breaking even around stoppages against a very strong GWS midfield unit. Indeed taking rucks out (Briggs, Williams, Barnett) leaves the Eagles at a somewhat respectable +5 in clearances and -7 for contested possessions. The transition from inside to outside is where the gulf lay between the two teams, as shown by GWS being able to accumulate an additional 50 effective disposals in the match.

Overall, it played much as expected. GWS are a team that likely will be playing late in September, and West Coast are able to maintain a competitive level against such teams for two quarters with the rest being damage control.

Of course, it's never enjoyable viewing to lose by 11 goals, but there is plenty to look forward to as this new team develops.

You can't expect too much from the likes of Sheed, Ryan and Culley if and when they come into the side. They have had all had basically no pre season conditioning at all. Massive disadvantage. They will likely struggle to even run out a game. I don't think any of them are good enough to get picked straight away when available if they have had no pre season, as opposed to an A grader like a Tim Kelly who you would pick as soon as you could. They should spend significant time in the WAFL before being considered and i wouldn't expect too much if they do come in at some stage.
hope GIF

Can not fault the effort.

Cut the turnovers In half and get accurate and we're off

Last week everyone was saying if port kicked straight.... if Waterman converted a couple of others and a could have been down by 6 goals at points in the second half which, although a low bar, would have been accepted by most.

We hit the best time in hot form. Score about as good as we could expect.
Exposed our poor skill and decision making under pressure. The remedy is a mix of confidence, experience list turn over and development. There is no silver bullet.
Last qtr by Chesser, Ginbey and others showed real spirit and fitness.
Long showed great work ethic and competitiveness. Each game is a step forward.
Jamo is starting to look at home in defence, although some expected errors, this is a quick progression and promising.
Old hands of Guv, Barrass, Yo' and Hunt etc give a foundation to grow kids around.
Losing the first few was an absolute given with the draw. Get these under our belt as we gain experience and slowly bring back players and it isn a bad situation.

Sportsbet are never getting my money again

Do it.

Bunch of FWITs.

Just like the Insta post from GWS. A real Kent act IMO. Hope we shaft the pr!cks at the trade table soon.

Kicking teams while they are down and stuggling full of developing kids.

Just really poor from these organisations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back