Toast Round 2 Rising Star Nom: Ryan Burton GET AROUND HIM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Underselling McGrath. The kid has been exceptionally poised and has defended beyond his years.

Conversely I think many others (oppostion supporters) are underselling Burton's defensive impact.

Not having a shot at the bloke, I just think Burton has been the more influential player.

How McGrath leads him is beyond logic. Burton is averaging more touches despite playing as a defender not a midfielder. Burton's actually making an impact on our wins also, something that McGrath isn't doing so much.
Hopefully it's ok for me to explain how this works providing I don't mention odds... Betting markets (particularly long range ones like this) are a bit more complex than having who's the most likely to win right now leading the market at any point in time. McGrath was a first round pick and was named to play from round 1. So naturally the bookies will install him at relatively low odds and a lot of people will jump on him early and push his price in even more. And then he's been playing pretty well all season so even more money comes in for him. So even when there are players (like Burton) playing better than the favourites it's difficult to displace them due to the sheer volume of money that has been laid on them over time. Burton moving in as much as he has over the past month indicates that a lot of money has been put on him to win (these people are essentially saying "I think he will win" and backing that opinion up with money). But until the volume of money for Burton surpasses that of McGrath then he won't be the favourite with the bookies. If the market was set today with no money having yet come in then Burton would likely be installed as quite a warm favourite.

SEN now on board too

Wallace said he should be red hot favourite

Slobbo compared him to Langford

Public now firmly getting on board

Slobbo must have been choking on his cask wine to say something nice about us.

He got penalised for it, but Ernie's run back with the flight of the ball, jump, mid air spin to spoil then land and gather his own crumb was sensational.

Stupid umpire. (I hope there is someone at Hawthorn who takes these muppets to task. Good play should be encouraged, not penalised)

That spoil was Strattonesque. Should have been perfectly legal too didn't take his eyes off the ball or make any contact with the much bigger man Sinclair (?). Not sure why he was done. Chopping of the arms? Didn't look like it.

...didn't take his eyes off the ball...
It was paid for front on contact. There was contact, but Burton clearly made a legitimate - successful! - attempt at the ball.

I had it he didn't even look at the ball as he ran in, but read it 'off the eyes'. The umpire didn't credit him as being the super-skilled wunderkind he clearly is.

I'll repeat, I hope someone in Hawthorn's employ discusses errors like this one with the powers that be.

Robbo Wallace and Mooney all agree he should be the favourite now.

Gaining momentum in the media. Excellent.

Realistically this is the only thing holding him back from outright winning the award. I've noticed in the past few weeks he's getting noticed. Two Friday night high pressure games is a good time to show your worth.

He did that in spades.

Ernie is now 6th for disposals, 3rd for meters gained, 4th for marks and equal 1at for Intercepts on the team

Coming along nicely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That little stroll out of the crowd last night took me back to the 70's. Kelvin Moore had control of the "time machine" just like Ernie seems to have.
Cool, calm and never rushed, great reader of the flight, quality kick, what moore could you ask for.

He's got so much poise, and composure. Something a lack of high draft picks hasn't allowed us to recruit.

Great decision making and disposal. Can't wait for him to add a bit more size and play midfield and make Bontempelli look like a plodder.

Only two things can stop him winning the Rising Star.

1) Clarko has compassion on the competition and rests him for the remainder of the season.
2) The Drug cheat inspired media gets their boy over the line.

Anyone with a gif of his run from fullback?
c49d7e5ae8aea482a93174e65f27ca36.gif

That one?
Either way, thanks, Bardo State!

Last edited:
Oh but but draft picks are overrated. Look what you can find when you've got a half decent pick.
Sick and tired of hearing that argument because most teams top end/core group of players come through the draft.

I just hope the Hawks don't get caught up in half baking a rebuild in order to avoid bottoming out.

Oh but but draft picks are overrated. Look what you can find when you've got a half decent pick.
Sick and tired of hearing that argument because most teams top end/core group of players come through the draft.

I just hope the Hawks don't get caught up in half baking a rebuild in order to avoid bottoming out.
We traded in Tom Mitchell. Imagine where we would be without him. If you think for one second burton is the expected outcome of pick 15 you are kidding yourself. Burton is a freak. We got lucky. We didn't get lucky with Mitchell. We were smart.

He was not an extremely high pick by any means. You're acting like he was pick 1.

There is no garruntee of recruiting a star outside of the top 10, and even in the top 10, it's still hit and miss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back