Preview Round 2: Sydney vs Essendon, SCG, Saturday 23/03/24 @ 7:30 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Sydney list has a weakness on paper it's their tall defence, we could stack it with 2mp, Drapes, Caddy, Langers and see how it stands up. Sure they have looked good for two weeks but both Melbourne and Collingwood arnt flush with tall forwards so the Sydney defence was in its element

If the Sydney list has a weakness on paper it's their tall defence, we could stack it with 2mp, Drapes, Caddy, Langers and see how it stands up. Sure they have looked good for two weeks but both Melbourne and Collingwood arnt flush with tall forwards so the Sydney defence was in its element
Does this mean we might get the ball into the forward line?

In the meantime, Blakey might genuinely decide to eat a bowl of cereal while he has the ball, pondering which quartile of Logan McDonald's chest he'll hit when delivering him the ball in the next 30-45secs.

As if buckets McKay isn't feasting on that McDonald's happy meal

This is true.

Well Blakey will notice that, think to himself, "Damn, that's a shame", quickly duck off to rinse his cereal bowl, come back on and, send a post-it-note to Papley or Heeney to ask where they want it, receive a return message saying "Wherever works for you", to which Blakey nods and verbally checks with each "Are you ready?"... just when Wright was thinking about maybe starting to consider making a move in Blakey's direction.

This is true.

Well Blakey will notice that, think to himself, "Damn, that's a shame", quickly duck off to rinse his cereal bowl, come back on and, send a post-it-note to Papley or Heeney to ask where they want it, receive a return message saying "Wherever works for you", to which Blakey nods and verbally checks with each "Are you ready?"... just when Wright was thinking about maybe starting to consider making a move in Blakey's direction.
Yep. I'd give Caldwell a tagging role on Blakey, on lieu of Guelfi.

3 forced changes (Redman, Reid and Guefli) along with Jones.

In: Draper, Hind, Laverde, Hobbs.

Of course Parish will be in if he checks all the boxes this week, probably in place of Hobbs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drapes - in as an upgrade
Parish - in & makes us better
Hobbs - probably in

Bomber team looking stronger this week.

Freaky thing about these games v Sydney (that they always schedule at the SCG) isn’t just the bullsh1t umpiring decisions … but how bizarrely close those games have been.

EFC seem to exceed expectations in this game. Then fall short. Beat tiges last year. This year I think we could beat the Syd - Ump - SCG hoodoo.

Not sure about Hobbs in.

Redman out means a half back to replace him (Hind probably)
Laverde likely replaces Reid
Parish likely replace Guelfi with some adjustments to forward time.
Draper replaces Jones.

I know everyone wants Hobbs in, as do I, but who do you drop? Won't be Menzie. He's the closest thing to a small forward we have. You aren't replacing a defender with a mid. Every week you have a back 7.

The toastie match!

The Devils Advocate Your favorite toasted sandwich?
I am glad somebody knows my yearly routine.

John Lewis Christmas GIF by John Lewis & Partners

Not sure about Hobbs in.

Draper replaces Jones.

I know everyone wants Hobbs in, as do I, but who do you drop? Won't be Menzie. He's the closest thing to a small forward we have. You aren't replacing a defender with a mid. Every week you have a back 7.
We need as much help mid as possible against this mob. Hobbs, Perkins and couple of others could rotate forward and do as good a job as Menzie. Also have Gresham.

Not sure about Hobbs in.

Draper replaces Jones.

I believe Hobbs brings more value to the side than Menzie on a small ground like the SCG on what will likely be a slippery night.

I'd do the above changes + Hobbs for Menzie

With Parish and Draper in the side, we should have ascendency in the middle particularly at centre bounces. The problem is that Sydney are one of the best teams at punishing turnovers and taking the ball end-to-end. They're also one of the best teams at defending transition and forcing a turnover.

So I can see it play out like this:

Essendon win centre clearance, bomb the ball inside 50, Sydney's defence intercept, Sydney transition from end-to-end with very little resistance, Sydney score.

Hobbs is better overhead than Menzie, arguably tougher and more talented and could play a rotating midfield small forward role well.

Menzie to stay in.

meznies fwd pressure is A grade though.

Dunno if Hobbs can do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back