Autopsy Round 2 vs Melbourne Demons, Metricon Stadium, Saturday March 26, 7:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Rat has been ok.
Graham, Flanders and sexton have been horid. Surely burgess is a better option down back than Graham. A spot at half fwd is opening up for a hollands debut. I think the extra 4 days break for the dees is going to kill us in the end here.

We're trying. There's just a sizeable gap in experience and confidence. So many 'nearly' moments where missed handballs or fumbles break our forward chain.

Atkins been good.

Ainsworth is just so nearly a great player for us, but his inability to finish is constantly holding him back.

Melbourne are just insanely good. Incredibly drilled with extreme talent on nearly every line. Some of the stuff I've seen Oliver tonight is stuff I've never seen from any other player. How he fires out handballs when his body is on some of those angles is wild.

Not a bad half if you remember it’s premiers v 16th

If we can let Rowell loose instead of manning up we are a sniff. Midfield domination atm

Overall happy with how we are going in the midfield.
Outside a few passages of excellence from their big names, I think we've definitely held our own in the contest.

Polish going forward of 50 as usual is lacking which is the big killer at present.
Our talls are doing ok again this week. Not getting out marked too often and have kicked a goal each.

Small forwards been non-existent in attack and letting their half back opponents really have influence.
Bowey and Rivers have had 33 touches compared with Sexon and Flanders 3 touches. :(

Can't fault Sexton. He's played a half of pre-season footy and that was weeks ago. Never any doubt he was going to come in rusty.
Posters have been going on like Sexton as if he is some gun, robbed of his spot. He is a fringe player who is opportunistic and doesn't work hard enough. He knows where the goals are, no doubt, but he leaves me wanting far too often

Not sure I think Atkins has really been that good.
Has done 1 or two nice things. That pick up, spin and handball in the back 50 was clean. one or two little dink kicks to a team mate in the middle gives potential to open things up going into attack

BUT

He has made a few bad mistakes as well.
Disposal efficiency 58%, 5 turnovers in a half.

Not sure I think Atkins has really been that good.
Has done 1 or two nice things. That pick up, spin and handball in the back 50 was clean. one or two little dink kicks to a team mate in the middle gives potential to open things up going into attack

BUT

He has made a few bad mistakes as well.
Disposal efficiency 58%, 5 turnovers in a half.
Keeping his spot in front of Sharp at this stage

Posters have been going on like Sexton as if he is some gun, robbed of his spot. He is a fringe player who is opportunistic and doesn't work hard enough. He knows where the goals are, no doubt, but he leaves me wanting far too often
I think everyone is aware of his limitations.
A legitimate concern going into this year was kicking goals when our forward line consisted of the below

Rankine
Chol
Casboult
Lukosius
Ainsworth
Holman

Sexton has kicked 150 career goals and has 3 seasons with >20 goals.
Casboult the only other guy to ever kick more than 20 in a season - has done it twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sexton flanders invisible

Fighting rankine and Dmac for a spot and both have had more impact when they haven’t played

If we can keep it to 4 goals I’ll be happy. We’ve had our chances to put the game away but Melbourne are clearly superior

Remove this Banner Ad

Back