Autopsy Round 2 vs Melbourne Demons, Metricon Stadium, Saturday March 26, 7:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Could of played better but that’s alright very good contest

Certainly some positives. 19 scoring shots to 22.
With a largely new forward line - that synergy is always going to take time.

Melbourne dominated us for a large part of the game though.
They had 120 extra possessions and 10 extra tackles.

Thought we actually played really poor, which was almost a positive considering we didn't get blown away. 4 less days break and a couple late outs and it was always going to be tough against the reigning premiers. Thought Rowell looked really gassed after quarter time and we had 5 or 6 that were no help to the cause at all. Weller and rankine should be back and maybe a debut for hollands?? Farrar, corbett, Budarick, burgess all putting some pressure on in the early game. Also we have a star in the making in mac Andrew 👌

Thought we actually played really poor, which was almost a positive considering we didn't get blown away. 4 less days break and a couple late outs and it was always going to be tough against the reigning premiers. Thought Rowell looked really gassed after quarter time and we had 5 or 6 that were no help to the cause at all. Weller and rankine should be back and maybe a debut for hollands?? Farrar, corbett, Budarick, burgess all putting some pressure on in the early game. Also we have a star in the making in mac Andrew 👌
Same. That we were able to stay within a few goals considering the number of poor turnovers and very ordinary entry into our forward line was a positive. Melbourne very clean with their hands whereas we were very fumbly for much of the night. Good to play the best team early in the season. Shows the level we need to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lacked polish, but strong game and I'd hazard a guess that we actually had the majority of the play. Class differential extremely apparent, hopefully a few learnings come from it. Probably lucky to lose by 13 in fairness all things said and done

Last edited:
The huge Melbourne mids wore us down. From about half-time on Rowelly was no-where, and barely saw Anderson. Only Miller was able to keep at it, but he was fighting a lone hand with Fiorini struggling to impact. Hard to think of many clearances we won from middle of the third onwards - they had total control. It was a bit alarming, honestly. The drop-off was pretty significant - but maybe the six day turnaround from WA played a part? Without Davies in there yet, those are the moments where we miss Greenwood IMO: an older and bigger body to help absorb impact.

Chol's lack of fitness really shone in that last quarter. Witts fought on, but clearly struggled as the game wore on too.

Ainsworth started well but Bowie absolutely annihilated him in the second half. Probably didn't help that our forward fifty entries got even worse.

Flanders no-where near it. Sexton no-where near it. Both guys that haven't played for a while and it really showed. Then again, we didn't play a game to bring them into the game. We are just burning these short options and going to a long contest all the time. Very frustrating.

Casboult good. If he can maintain what he's doing, then that's about ten times more than what I expected.

The Luko problem is going to fester really fast if it's not addressed. Clearly frustrated that he's not getting used as shorter options, and I don't blame him. We are just burning this guy going forward. He's such a weapon that is sitting there doing nothing. Coaches have got to find a better way to get him involved. Present all the way up to D50 if you have to.

Swallow down back is a nothing move and it will be interesting to see if they persist with him as this straight up lock-down back pocket. Tonight I would have swung him back into the midfield to help chop out our young guns getting hammered. Budarick & Markov play this role better.

It's strange, a loss by fourteen points is what it is - but it never felt like we were in any control of that game. I never thought we were in a position to win.

The huge Melbourne mids wore us down. From about half-time on Rowelly was no-where, and barely saw Anderson. Only Miller was able to keep at it, but he was fighting a lone hand with Fiorini struggling to impact. Hard to think of many clearances we won from middle of the third onwards - they had total control. It was a bit alarming, honestly. The drop-off was pretty significant - but maybe the six day turnaround from WA played a part? Without Davies in there yet, those are the moments where we miss Greenwood IMO: an older and bigger body to help absorb impact.

Chol's lack of fitness really shone in that last quarter. Witts fought on, but clearly struggled as the game wore on too.

Ainsworth started well but Bowie absolutely annihilated him in the second half. Probably didn't help that our forward fifty entries got even worse.

Flanders no-where near it. Sexton no-where near it. Both guys that haven't played for a while and it really showed. Then again, we didn't play a game to bring them into the game. We are just burning these short options and going to a long contest all the time. Very frustrating.

Casboult good. If he can maintain what he's doing, then that's about ten times more than what I expected.

The Luko problem is going to fester really fast if it's not addressed. Clearly frustrated that he's not getting used as shorter options, and I don't blame him. We are just burning this guy going forward. He's such a weapon that is sitting there doing nothing. Coaches have got to find a better way to get him involved. Present all the way up to D50 if you have to.

Swallow down back is a nothing move and it will be interesting to see if they persist with him as this straight up lock-down back pocket. Tonight I would have swung him back into the midfield to help chop out our young guns getting hammered. Budarick & Markov play this role better.

It's strange, a loss by fourteen points is what it is - but it never felt like we were in any control of that game. I never thought we were in a position to win.
There were obvious times where we should have hit him up.
And you know if it was he that had the ball - that pass would have been completed.

But, as a forward, you've got to recognise that leads will go unrewarded but you just keep presenting.

It's fusterating but a 13 point loss to the defending champs I think we would have taken that when the fixture came out.

Not bad for a ramshackle forward line

Onto next week

Going up the race Rowell Miller and Luke were seriously angry
Which is good

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back