Preview Round 20, 2018: Richmond v Geelong MCG 7.50pm Fri 3rd Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this.

When he last played I felt we looked a bit slower and unbalanced out of the back half.

I think he is good enough to work his way back in though at some point.
He’s always come back rusty first up from a spell. He’s like a champion stayer who need a few runs under his belt before he goes the distance.
His only problem is that his injuries are now becoming more frequent.
He’s been a big loss, so hopefully we can manage him for at least another season until we can get or blood a replacement.

Last edited:
So who plays on ball more with meatball out? Maybe Caddy? I feel like we are a bit lacking in the middle
Lloyd will have stints with KMac I reckon. I noticed KMacs heat map last game and it showed that he spread across the ground a bit from the HB/wings, so I reckon he’s a good possibility. I also agree that Caddy will get a look at some stage to relieve maybe Dusty as he wanders forward to kick a few snags.

Last edited:
So who plays on ball more with meatball out? Maybe Caddy? I feel like we are a bit lacking in the middle

Agree. Bit surprised Miles didn’t get a call up. Despite his deficiencies his contested/clearance work would have been handy this week I would have thought.

Just want to point out that the % on the heat maps relate to where players get their possessions and not where they spend game time.
The colours show where they spend their time and the redder the colour then the more time they spent in that region. As the following heat map shows that you can have one possession and still execute a red bc you’re lingering around that area.
This quarter heat map shows three red spots for this player 2x1p and 1x2p. So what do you reckon this guy was doing for the quarter?
08F92574-E425-46D7-8B35-23B849C6F1D7.png

The colours show where they spend their time and the redder the colour then the more time they spent in that region. As the following heat map shows that you can have one possession and still execute a red bc you’re lingering around that area.
This quarter heat map shows three red spots for this player 2x1p and 1x2p. So what do you reckon this guy was doing for the quarter?
View attachment 537005
Pretty sure possession heatmaps have nothing to do with position. It would confuse the data, and I doubt that player shuffled along 30 out for the whole quarter.
Positional heatmaps do get created though. Not sure if/where they can be sourced but 7 sometimes show them. Positional heatmaps are usually far more consistent as there is a lot more data.

Damien has said Butler, Graham, Houli and Prestia would return over time.
I guess Baker, Lloyd and Menadue would be replaced and but I cannot guess the fourth.
It is a conundrum for the selection panel to address.
Perhaps Townsend would be the fourth.
However, he lit up the end of last season with a barrage of goals.
Moore would be feeling unfortunate, he has had great form in the VFL, as Damien said.

Pretty sure possession heatmaps have nothing to do with position. It would confuse the data, and I doubt that player shuffled along 30 out for the whole quarter.
Positional heatmaps do get created though. Not sure if/where they can be sourced but 7 sometimes show them. Positional heatmaps are usually far more consistent as there is a lot more data.
Hi Harry,
How would it confuse the data mate? Why have colours? Why would one possession register a red as a two or more possession spot? Why have a long red streak or a yellow bubble?
They’re easily collected and even a spectator at a game can do it . A possession would only register a spot so why the other detail? I’ve been watching a certain player in the vfl for months now and I have collected his heat maps and I could predict what his running/positional patterns would be before he even played a senior game.
Didn’t let me down as I was 100% on the money.
I suspect the player match up in this shot was wrong at the start and the player was moved . He played on one flank first then moved to the other. The player is a very weak player in terms of spread ,so it’s not surprising.

Last edited:
Hi Harry,
How would it confuse the data mate? Why have colours? Why would one possession register a red as a two or more possession spot? Why have a long red streak or a yellow bubble?
They’re easily collected and even a spectator at a game can do it . A possession would only register a spot so why the other detail? I’ve been watching a certain player in the vfl for months now and I have collected his heat maps and I could predict what his running/positional patterns would be before he even played a senior game.
Didn’t let me down as I was 100% on the money.
I suspect the player match up in this shot was wrong at the start and the player was moved . He played on one flank first then moved to the other. The player is a very weak player in terms of spread ,so it’s not surprising.

The possession heat maps are exactly that. A heat map of where the player got their possession, not their running patterns or they were positionally for the game or quarter.

The colours are just to indicate that is the area where they got most possessions. If they didn’t get that touch right in the middle of defence that heat map would change completely to a thick red line between those 2 possession on the right half back flank.

Menadue did kick that nice running goal through the centre of the ground at full tilt

I hope he grabs his chance and plays a rebounding game of footy

if he performs well at least it will be insurance if Houli's groin flares up again pre finals and we need to replace the loss of pace from the HBL

He's a better runner than Broad but Broad pushes to the contest & really impacts the contest. Particularly in the air or timing his blocks. Not sure if Man is he due has that capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does that say about Miles now ?
Cats would tear Miles apart on the spread. Danger Ablett and Selwood are 1 way players. Snip is a 1 trick pony can only play midfield and would get destroyed. Lloyd can at least swing fwd. I’m not all doom and gloom about tonight. Reckon the only advantage they have is in the midfield we are stronger everywhere else. Win Tonight all but assures the minor premiership.

The real bad news for Tiges is I think they will win this week. Trusting the selections, tend to think they know what they are doing these days.

Will run over them. Tiges by 25.

Damien has said Butler, Graham, Houli and Prestia would return over time.
I guess Baker, Lloyd and Menadue would be replaced and but I cannot guess the fourth.
It is a conundrum for the selection panel to address.
Perhaps Townsend would be the fourth.
However, he lit up the end of last season with a barrage of goals.
Moore would be feeling unfortunate, he has had great form in the VFL, as Damien said.
Callum Moore is Liam McBean all over again. Bloke looks good in the ressies but hopeless at senior level. Never again

The possession heat maps are exactly that. A heat map of where the player got their possession, not their running patterns or they were positionally for the game or quarter.

The colours are just to indicate that is the area where they got most possessions. If they didn’t get that touch right in the middle of defence that heat map would change completely to a thick red line between those 2 possession on the right half back flank.
Yes it measures positional movement near the play and their possessions collected .They know exactly where the player delivers the possession, hence the black dot. It wouldn’t make sense to show movement near non possession areas as this would pollute the data. Why would a one possession spot register red as a two possession spot? The possessions are only indicated by the black dot. If you look at the Menadue chart below there are three spots near the 50 m line with a yellow blob and three spread near the wing , close is a fourth in a dark red blob . So why not the same colour? Clearly it must have to do with time spent in that area near the action or something else and not number of possessions only. Watching the game over again it can be seen him moving in those areas when in close contact to the play with him around the wing a lot . Now I’m not certain what distance to the play they collect their data from.
I maybe wrong, but reading an article on the Buddy lead heat map it clearly indicated his movements near the ball as well as possessions.It talked about him leading to the left side irrelevant to possessions, but relevant to the play . This is what changed my opinion on it and the need for colours and funny blobs and streaks.

Menadue
EBCBB2F7-A747-43B2-9B2D-1965D494D11E.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back