Autopsy Round 20 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Those Port supporters that turned up to the game all deserve a refund (even those that left before the final siren), to be paid by the players (except RGray) &/or Koch.
It was tough to watch on tv...Being at the game would have been the worst nightmare ever.

Well done to the folks who braved it. And good luck with your recovery... It will take time, but you'll get there..one day..maybe.

These players should be disappointed with themselves didn't even give a yelp once they realised they were in for a hard game. Looked like they didn't want to be out there

Youse 'ave just gotta go out there and win. I done the numbers and that's it. Boaky, you seen what I wrote earlier, dincha? And if anyone doubts ya, you just look 'em in the eye and tell 'em to go and get stuffed.
LOL, that could be straight out of the script for the movie Australian Rules. :D

ozrools_arks.JPG

"Jarman, if I've arked you once I've arked you a thousand times to kick the ball through the big white sticks."

"what the bloody hell we you doin' out there today?"
"Kicking goals aye"
"kicking goals? That's going to win a lot of bloody grand finals isn't it, kicking goals"

FMD, Arks is Hinkley. :eek:

Last edited:
Well, you do, yes. A good coach wouldn't.

Houston, Bonner, Ah Chee, Atley, Eddy, Frampton, Howard, Palmer would all be perfectly legitimate ins on the weekend based on their overall SANFL form. Bar Houston, none have played more than four games this year. Sam Gray has played 19. Trengove has played 19. Impey 18. Young 13.
But what if they're not ready? Gotta make sure we wait until they're well and truly ready before we blood them because if we play players that aren't ready we might end up not being able to perform in a crucial showdown and get absolutely fisted to the tune of 90 odd points.

Not blooding quality youth is a huge mistake, because now we're at the stage where we can either continue playing the same players who just got annihilated amd clearly aren't up to it or we can throw some 0 gamers in the deep end at the pointy end of the season.

It's incredibly poor list management strategy and it's been a hallmark of the Hinkley regime.

Instead we've spent another 60 games worth of experience just checking whether Impey, Gray, Neade and Young might spontaneously grow a leg.

We need to get John Donehue back as wrestling coach, our bloody tackles don't stick often enough. I'd like to see our effective vs ineffective tackle stats. We need to get stronger and faster.

We need to get the elite forces either our SAS, USA Navy Seals, Israel's Mossad, Russian elite forces etc and come and spend a 2 or 3 weeks in the preseason and toughen up our blokes both mentally and physically and fast track them learning leadership skills under pressure situations, so they can learn to make better decision and learn to understand the basics about the game.

When Tommy Franks took over command of the US Marines 20 years ago, he sent them to the library to study military history and military strategy. I look at us make so many basic under 10 errors and wonder what the **** our players do for 40 hours a week at the club in all those meetings. Do they actually study the game and their opponents?? What are our coaches talking to them about. Its why I don't reckon we have many players smart enough to be AFL or state level head coaches.

The Australian sports market is one of the most competitive sports market in the world. I don't mean the marketing put but the on field competitive stuff. Its why we punch above our weight in so many international sports. Forget the old Magpie days when we dominated. Those days are over. There is no soft as butter South, West or North Adelaide, Woodville, Torrens or Centrals in the AFL. There is no Glenelg in the AFL that we mentally dominated come finals time, in the AFL. We always had tough battles against Norwood and Sturt in the SANFL come finals time and usually during the year, although Sturt had that shocking decade of being s**t. Every week in the AFL we come against sides who like Sturt and Norwood weren't scared of us, they aren't scared of us.

Good post. Cant disagree with any of that. Thought I was getting over the game a little but then just had a bit of reflection and keep thinking back to how Tex would just bust through any tackle he pleased knowing full well that that no-one in our side had the strength or ability to stick a tackle on him.

This was further compounded when I remembered even the likes of Brodie F*cking Smith and Jerka Jenkins started pushing us around and laughing in our face. What a a sad indictment on our playing group.

Where does the motivation for this group come from? Because it certainly doesn't come from facing the top side and trying to cement itself as a top 4 team which a few rounds left.

The majority of our players play AFL football to be AFL footballers.

They don't play to succeed and win.

That is why they can't sustain effort between and within games.

The coach needed to show those players the door and he will lose his job due to tolerating the rubbish the playing group have served up for far too long.

Last edited:
Never before have I ever seen a team sitting in fifth place on the ladder so collectively take a dump on their club and supporters. If these players can't get themselves up for a showdown then what's the point of taking many of them into finals should we undeservedly qualify? Expect a hiding if we do.

At least Lade knows what some of the problem is.... CONTESTED BALL - we have been killed in this area for most of the last month or more.
Not just stoppages but all over the ground. A lot of our players are waiting for someone else to do the hard work. and of course some of the players just don't do contested ball - Amon, Monfries, Boak, Hartlett and Young put in weak efforts yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Choco making a good point about in his day he would rev up the boys and make them well aware they had to contribute and fight for their lives in showdowns. Even Ben Hart said if Port were behind at half time they would make a physical statement after the break. Talked about Matt Thomas, Dean Brogan, Chad etc. kane reckons the people who come into the club don't know much about show down and maybe the significance of the game has been lost.

Even the final we got smashed in at least we were only 7 pts down at half time before being smashed. We were smashed every quarter yesterday, 10 scoring shots each quarter and instead of 4 goals 12 down at half time it should have been officially over and a 10+ goal lead if they didn't kick so poorly on goal.

Really hope the players watched the game today..All of it.
Should make them watch it at the Bob McLean bar with the regulars and listen to their comments!!

Should make them watch it at the Bob McLean bar with the regulars and listen to their comments!!
Chris Davis should wip out his iPhone and read the Game day thread to the vision.

We were insipid, someone should have at least tried to knock out BigHeddie betts but that would have taken too much effort to muster up some kind of emotion towards an opponent.

Really surprising we have yet to come up with a strategy to counter the standard game day strategy against Port: 1) Centre Square: Have a +1 or +2 on the defensive arc; 2) Around the ground: Have a +1 or +2 in or just behind the contest. Carn.

The thing that sticks with me after that utter shellacking was the fact that whilst almost every single possession we had was a comically panicked pile of fumbly s**t, the crows serenely moved through their game plan as if we weren't even there. Some of their celebrations were almost disbelief at how easy it was for them to do whatever they wanted; Derwayne made the comment a couple of times "oh they're just playing with them now!" or "it's party time!". We were their play thing, and like the Essendon game we essentially allowed them to play with the freedom of an end of training scratchy where they could try the ridiculous and have it come off.

It's so obvious we are in the other team's shirt pocket as soon as we dumbly go into the bomb kickout time and time again, the hack kick out because we are so amazed to even have possession we quickly splurge it on a 40m turnover kick, the halfback handball directly to their full forward. Players were both woefully ill prepared and laughably flustered from the first bounce.

It's the same inexplicable result as the 2007 GF (let's face it we are lucky the margin wasn't eclipsed, I mean 81-31 inside 50s, that is insane) where the nature of the match and the positions of the two teams going in indicate that there will at least be some kind of contest. But no, yet again the club is left an empty smouldering shell and supporters retreat to lick their wounds/contort their minds to erase the black hell that was dished up.

Ken, Koch, Keith: You've planted us back at ground zero. What. The. *.

I have no faith in the playing group and Bassett is the only coach who I think is doing his job. The head coach is where it all starts and ends. The rest of this year Hinkley should be coaching for his career. If we don't see something different then I don't know how we can go into next year with him in charge
If he was going to change he would have already done so. This is what we did with Mark when we kept him yet it was obvious he needed to go. Hinkley is done. The club better not repeat the same mistakes because right now I'm so pissed off I could explode. Likely they could lose up to 10,000 members on this call.

You cant even fathom how much of a boon Ryder was for the Crows yesterday. He gave them amazing silver service. Our midfielders had absolutely no idea where to position themselves, and the numbers around the contest for the crows (...gee, I wonder where they got that blueprint from - every team that has used it against us has won.) meant he invariably tapped it down the throat of one.

So many break away clearances from a Ryder tap. It was without a doubt the worst part of the game imo. The midfield was utter trash.
Kept commenting on that throughout the game. Straight down their throats over and over. Ryder is a smart player so shows how s**t our set ups were.

18.22 - 7.4
That's 40-11 in scoring.

81-31 in Inside 50's.

The more one looks at it, the more one thinks that we escaped from a loss of biblical proportions. It was Germany 7-1 Brazil all over again!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back