Autopsy Round 20 - West Coast def. Fremantle by 24 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually put me in mind of an interview I saw a few days ago with Robert Murphy, he was saying that a part of the reason he's playing so well this year is that the enthusiasm of the young players they have is infectious. He's playing out of his skin just trying to keep up, and actually enjoying it again.
As much as I hate to say it, RTB needs to watch that interview. Too late this year, but definitely next year. We can't lose players of this caliber, and quite honestly I can see Pavlich get back up to around 3 goals a game again with an exuberant and exciting team around him.
Interesting observation.

Dogs probably won't make top four but I feel their destined for greater things. It's interesting that four of the top six coaches currently are from the Clarkson school of coaching, the other two are from the Roos school.

Interesting observation.

Dogs probably won't make top four but I feel their destined for greater things. It's interesting that four of the top six coaches currently are from the Clarkson school of coaching, the other two are from the Roos school.
True, but I don't hold with that "attacking team" "defensive team" idea as much as some. It's a bit like Australian politics; yes, one side is left and one right, but they're both pretty damned close to centre in reality, by comparison with, say, the USA.

Watch any other top-four game this year, and all their players are in one half of the ground. Eagles v Hawthorn last week a classic example, they're both supposedly attacking teams - and yet one half of the ground is nearly always empty. The difference between attacking and defensive teams isn't much.

Where we used to have the advantage (circa end of 2013, perhaps even earlier this year), the difference was that our players worked harder than most to get back when we had possession. You could see us get the ball and half of Freo is streaming back into our side of the ground hell for leather. We'd have ten players forward of centre before the opposition had half that many. I'm not seeing that this year. That issue is more work rate rather than game plan.
I'm getting so sick of watching us take possession in the defensive fifty and having no one forward to kick to. That's a work rate issue.

The Bulldogs are an abberation, in this regard. One of the reasons they're exciting to watch is that they're excited just playing - they have nothing to lose, they were expected to be bottom four this year and they're not. They could get bundled out in straight sets come finals and people would be cheering them regardless. Port, last year. When there is more pressure to perform, players have a tendency to lose enjoyment, and it happens to more teams than just us.
I'd love to see other teams adopt Beveridge's style to prove a point - would it work, for us? I'm thinking probably not. No speed, no exuberence.

Pavlich got the ball in open space in .. what was it, the fourth quarter? Was 55m out, goal square completely empty. It was the kind of situation where even a year ago he would have taken that shot and probably goaled easily. Instead, he popped it up to (I think) De Boer, 30m out when a Eagles player right on his arse. By comparison, Kennedy's eyes would have lit up like a Christmas tree and that ball would have gone straight at the goals, hit or miss, no hesitation about "doing the right thing".

When a team gets into a position where they're more concerned with doing the right thing than taking opportunities as they arise, you have problems.

_Wildcard_

Richmond are from the Hawthorn school but not an attacking team - score less than Freo, but defend the ground almost as well. But they do play very much in the short pass mould that Clarkson has honed (and was essentially the Port 2004 game plan).

Bulldogs under Beveridge don't look like Hawthorn at all. If anything they look like Geelong under Mark Thompson. I wonder if that's left over effects from McCartney.

Hawthorn (now) have a number of styles they choose from. In the game they beat us this year, as well as the GF last year, they went full midfield pressure mode, and belted both teams. Basically used against both Sydney and Freo their own game plan (at least in the middle).

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="300" style="background-color:transparent; display:block; max-width: 700px;" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="allowtransparency" scrolling="no" src="//embeds.audioboom.com/boos/3475543-ross-lyon-on-6pr-17-august-2015/embed/v4?eid=AQAAAMPT0VVXCDUA" title="audioBoom player"></iframe>

<iframe width="100%" height="300" style="background-color:transparent; display:block; max-width: 700px;" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="allowtransparency" scrolling="no" src="//embeds.audioboom.com/boos/3475543-ross-lyon-on-6pr-17-august-2015/embed/v4?eid=AQAAAMPT0VVXCDUA" title="audioBoom player"></iframe>
wot.

Lol, let me try that again.

Lol, let me try that again.
and again

Code:

That's a bit messy there, Grape Bear :D

That's a bit messy there, Grape Bear :D
techdiffhqdefault.jpg

I listened to that earlier. Someone asked why Barlow is being played out of position and his answer was that he played him as a HF for as long as he [Lyon] has been at Freo. :confused: Which confused the hell out of me as I'm confident that he played mid in 2012 and 2013. He was kind of shifted last year but still more mid than HF I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I listened to that earlier. Someone asked why Barlow is being played out of position and his answer was that he played him as a HF for as long as he [Lyon] has been at Freo. :confused: Which confused the hell out of me as I'm confident that he played mid in 2012 and 2013. He was kind of shifted last year but still more mid than HF I would have thought.

image.jpg

He's taking the piss lol.

Actually put me in mind of an interview I saw a few days ago with Robert Murphy, he was saying that a part of the reason he's playing so well this year is that the enthusiasm of the young players they have is infectious. He's playing out of his skin just trying to keep up, and actually enjoying it again.
As much as I hate to say it, RTB needs to watch that interview. Too late this year, but definitely next year. We can't lose players of this caliber, and quite honestly I can see Pavlich get back up to around 3 goals a game again with an exuberant and exciting team around him.
we played with some real attacking flair when Weller had his 8 touches in the last Q a few weeks back. I believe just having a few exciting kids around the team can lift you.

It also didn't help that Sandi tapped it to no one in particular and out wide so that Gaff could run on to it.

First four hits went to the same spot and we got pushed off each one

Watched part of replay, probably do the rest tomorrow some time. Carefully paid attention to the centre bounces in the first quarter. You want to know what really going on then read the following.

Opening Bounce: Sandi wins easily, taps to the complete advantage of the Eagles. There's no 'pushing off the ball that I saw as such, 211 has tapped it far too wide and drop of ball has 3 Eagles closer to it than us. Our players were moving away to begin with. Barlow (from outside the square) is trailing his man and the Eagles player (Gaff I think), swoops and clears to an eventual mark and goal from Kennedy

2nd: Fyfe/Mundy/Suban in. Similar to above. 211 taps it to similar area, not as wide luckily, this time Mundy (our closest player to the drop) is moving away from the direction of the tap to begin with, there's no 'pushing off' as such, there doesn't need to be. He has no chance, Eagles player coming in off the side of the square (this time it's Walters trailing him) doesn't clear despite first hands, it ricochets into Fyfe. It bounces around and we eventually get a nice clearance. AP snaps from 35m and misses.

3rd: Fyfe/Mundy/Pav in (this is the turbo boost centre square set up that RTB uses only 1-2 times a game and it nearly always gives us a clearance). We are set up exactly the same position wise. Masten is running from the wing side of the square from the exact position where 211 has tapped to advantage each time. He has no man on him - (Walters is pointing this out - I suspect somebody hasn't gone to the right spot, possibly Barlow). This time Pav parks his big frame to the advantage of where Sandi has gone last 2 times. It goes there again, but it's a touch too firm a tap and it skims off Pav's fingers right into the path of a free Masten - the only reason he doesn't get a clean clearance is because Shuey (who was fronting Fyfe) tries to take it away from him. They eventually clear through Priddis, but it's marked by Sutty.

4th: Griff goes into the middle. The ball bounces well outside the circle, should be but isn’t recalled. Griff wins but can't really direct it tries to get it to Mundy (I think) who has placed himself to advantage. Secondary bounce needed that we eventually win.

Finally, I think the above proves I have no life ... or maybe I'm an assistant AFL coach trapped in a lazy good for nothing council worker's body.

I think that's as good as the WCE can play.

You guys can play much better.

i just think there's a level of anxiety in your play that doesn't need to be there. Don't know if it's game plan or personnel or over thinking.

WCE style of play is turning spuds into superstars, Hutchings and Hill? Masten?

Don't know what the key is but I hope you find it.

I agree it's as good as we can play with who we had out there.

But we get Naitanui, LeCras and McGovern back.

Not to mention that Lycett played 3 quarters with a strained PCL. Schofield missed half the game leaving us without a single tall defender. Cripps was pretty knocked about. And Masto played with sore teeth too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back