Autopsy Round 21, 2021: St.Kilda v Sydney *PRIDE GAME* *COFFIELD 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Just loved Kingy giving Rampe the shove after he kicked his goal after his contested mark. Liked to see the (slight) arrogance and aggro.

I think Rampe was niggling him like an old fashioned mongrel defender. Maybe even a little pinchy pinchy on the sides.

Best way to stop it is to kick a goal and thank the opponent for helping to provide focus. Repeat and rinse. It will quickly stop.

I remember silly Danny Hughes doing it to Plugger at Moorabbin one day. Plugger had 10 by half time and Hughes was marched off the ground in front of the Huggins Stand in the 2Q. Needless to say it never happened again.

As someone who isn’t a Coffield fan, that was the best game he has played IMO. He was bold with his ball use and provided a little dash. He did have a moment late when he gave up on Hayward and allowed him to kick his goal. Just didn’t have that hunger that good defenders have. A step in the right direction.

Sharman is a keeper. It wasn’t just his marking, his follow up work and little tap ons into space also impressed me. Maybe this Chris Libba really knows what he is doing.

Sharman is another Chris Toce gem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One game doesn't mean you've arrived though. You need a deep squad to get through 23 games plus finals.

... and our lack of quality depth has been exposed badly in 2021 by injuries to key best-22 players.

As a result, we've been brutally inconsistent, but we've discovered a few gems, as well as establishing that we have some serviceable young depth, which will stand us in good stead next year, while staying in contention until the final throes of the season.

Long bow to draw though.
You have to take injuries and a permanently unsettled team this year into account. It was a big factor in our year no matter what anyone says about not using injuries as an excuse. We were seriously knocked around.
The unsettled line-up has probably contributed a lot to our inconsistency week-to-week.

Feels like our back 6 has changed every 2 weeks compared to last year when we had the same 7 players rotating through every week. The continuity of playing together and understanding how each other player makes such a big difference and we just haven't got that this year.

Similar up forward as well.

I think Rampe was niggling him like an old fashioned mongrel defender. Maybe even a little pinchy pinchy on the sides.

Best way to stop it is to kick a goal and thank the opponent for helping to provide focus. Repeat and rinse. It will quickly stop.

I remember silly Danny Hughes doing it to Plugger at Moorabbin one day. Plugger had 10 by half time and Hughes was marched off the ground in front of the Huggins Stand in the 2Q. Needless to say it never happened again.
Never forget that game. His first game for the year after missing the first 5 games. Kicks a lazy 12.

Well l work on 22 games a season and they all ssy the same thing. What last night does is put paid to the notion that he's essential. We're better without him.
That is just crazy stuff. We won games without plugger. Pretty sure he was essential. We won games without Hayes and Rooy. Pretty sure they essential and we weren’t better without them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mentioned Parker a few times
One of the fox Footy shows mentioned how much pressure that the Swans Salary Cap is under because of Buddy 2.5 mill over the next 2 years. Parker isn't signed and and its rnd 22 he is getable. If we got Parker and moved 2 of Ross Billings Dunstan on it would be a win imo, Parker has missed 1 game in 5years they said last night. Why would he come to us ? $$$ and maybe he wants to come home
How many had Hannebery missed before coming to us, Parker will be 29 before pre-season!
Remember North's recruiting 6 or 7 years ago?

He does some incredible set up kicks but can do the stupid at times. His pace is back which helps. Last year he looked slow. Rooey obviously doesn't rate him, always pulls up his poor efforts even if he isn't the only one responsible. I think that's tainted how the fans see him.
Would like to see a stat for +/- (net) for Ross like they do in basketball.

Play him as a crumbing forward. Dangerous near goal and regularly bobs up to kick a big goal, especially in close games.

We just have to stop thinking he’s going to transition into the midfield or further up the ground. He’s a weapon close to goal, but not so much away from the big sticks. It is what it is.

Agree with you. He was probably our best smaller forward but just hasn't transitioned into the mid we hoped for. With Higgins and Butler in the team and Gresh to come back it's made life difficult for Billings to play to his strengths.

Similar things have happened to Membrey and Ross. King coming into the team and Marshall pushing forward has meant Membrey has to get more up the ground and win some ground ball. Ross has been pushed out of the midfield with the arrival of Crouch and Jones and the improvement in Dunstan.

Sometimes circumstances means a player has to reinvent themselves. Like Sinclair has this season.

That's the challenge for Billings if he stays.

Geez, I know people are down on Billings and excited by Connolly. But Connolly's best game so barely matches the output that an injured Billings cops criticism for producing. To say Leo's best is already better than Billings best is an extreme exaggeration.
And Billings has clearly been injured. Short memories.

I mentioned Parker a few times
One of the fox Footy shows mentioned how much pressure that the Swans Salary Cap is under because of Buddy 2.5 mill over the next 2 years. Parker isn't signed and and its rnd 22 he is getable. If we got Parker and moved 2 of Ross Billings Dunstan on it would be a win imo, Parker has missed 1 game in 5years they said last night. Why would he come to us ? $$$ and maybe he wants to come home
Yes it would be , and yes he isn't a broken down like Hanners , but there is a lot of if's

The unsettled line-up has probably contributed a lot to our inconsistency week-to-week.

Feels like our back 6 has changed every 2 weeks compared to last year when we had the same 7 players rotating through every week. The continuity of playing together and understanding how each other player makes such a big difference and we just haven't got that this year.

Similar up forward as well.

Without question, especially when you compare with teams like the Swans - very few injuries this season and the Dees, also few injuries and not to their star players. Makes an enormous difference and probably one of the reasons we did so well last year as well. We were far more settled, with Bytel and Byrnes only getting a handful of games between them.

To me its a simple equation with a fit squad.
JB, Seb, Dunny V's Byrnes, Coff, Bytel

I'll put money that the latter 3 end up better players than the former and so it's a matter of other considerations. If it means we get a CHB from trading or perhaps another FRDP off the Dogs or the like then you'd be mad not to.
Not sure you should be putting Coff in that bracket , he is a fair bit in front of Byrnes and Bytel , maybe Leo is a better fit ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back