AFL Autopsy Round 22, 2018 - 8 point loss to Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

The Tigers rely heavily on having extra time to dispose of the ball in a tackle without getting pinged by the whistle. It gives them huge confidence. If the maggots clamped down on it then it’d be interesting to see how it’d impact their game.

Last edited:

Poor disposals at critical stages cost us dearly (Heppell, Goddard, Myers). Caddy's uncontested mark and goal (Goddard and Hurley).

Walla was ordinary, as was Myers, Guelfi, Baguley, Dea. Guelfi was below his best.

Baguley, Merrett, Parish and Hooker missed critical goals.

Positives: getting within a couple of goals.

Aaron Francis, Devon Smith, Darcy Parish, Adam Saad, TBC

Last edited:
Nah his fitness was definitely existent at a baseline level and the fact he’s come up to standard so quickly once given the chance is evidence he could’ve come in sooner.
Baseline level for VFL is much different to AFL

Prior to the game I mentioned that we should try and use one of McKenna or McGrath up forward to play the Fantasia role. We just didn't have anyone that could lead up at the ball carrier with some pace and x factor. It was pretty obvious that guys like Baguley, Hooker, Brown etc were never gonna get out of first gear and its too easy to sit on Tippa if he's the only one with pace up there.

Anyway the thing that cost us the game was a lack of composure under pressure. We simply missed key targets all day long. Our defense played well I thought all things considered. Francis really showed impressive talent and Hurley played a good game on Riewoldt. McKenna was very good for us in particular. Saad and McGrath had plenty of good moments too. Dea and Goddard were our weak links though fair play to Dea, Caddy and Martin are tough matchups. Kicking for goal wasn't a highlight either but the turnovers in the middle of the ground were a lot more frustrating to me.

Goddard was putrid in the first half. Dropped easy marks and was a liability below his knees as we knew he would be. Sometimes I wonder why Bigfooty knows things our coaches don't. Everybody was saying this prior to the match. With the development of Francis, Gleeson returning next year, development of Ridley and Redman there is no need to retain him for next year. Plus he can barely play as loose man in defense nowadays what is he going to do in 6-6-6? I'd rather they retired him or they will insist on playing him ahead of our developing guys.

I am yet to see a competent Bombers forward line without Fantasia, something for us to think about going into next year. I question the decision to go Stringer in the middle against Richmond. His clearance work was great but we needed him as a forward target and we had all our other midfielders fit and available.

Anyway I'm kind of glad we didn't make finals. We wouldn't have stood up to the pressure anyway.
Next year hopefully we can work out better system going forward with the return of Daniher, McKernan, Fantasia and my favourite Begley.

Dear umpires,
A 'handball' over ones head or shoulder where all the momentum comes from the supposedly stationary hand and not from the fist is not a handball...
Yours,
Squeaky
I was just about to say that, we should learn that trick, but I have seen it called a throw the few times we have tried.

How much of richmond have people seen this year?
Most teams have some horrendous turnovers against them.

Yet we have people on here abusing our captain and bemoaning how woeful we are.

Overall it was a ok performance by a team missing key players, late in a season. Try and be happy with effort for once, i have no idea why people are so intent on stewing on their anger.

We didnt roll over when we had every opportunity to and most essendon teams of the past 12 years would have.

We have 1 game left before 6 months of not seeing our players at all, some we wont see pull on the jumper again. Try and enjoy footy.

It’s been a horribly frustrating season to endure. We’ve consistently had things just out of our reach because we didn’t play with the required intensity early in the year. The whole ‘needing to gel with new players coming in’ is a bit of a cop-out that should never have been used as an excuse. Sure, the team will not gel perfectly with a few new faces but that wasn’t the reason we were losing. The big thing that we nailed however, was identifying a brand of footy that will signify this team as they grow together. I am convinced that we’ve found that and all we need is our talismen back on the park in Joe, and Raz and I think we are on the way.
I would be frustrated too, but you must surely be a bit excited? I think you’re spot on - the talent is already on your list. 2019 the newer recruits have found their feet, and they’re all guns. Plus Joey D is back next year, and you’ve missed him. But more importantly guys like Parish - who was out of form and dropped this year - now looks to be a real gun. Even better Francis is now playing and he is already good and could be anything. David King is a dickhead generally, but he was right on Essendon. He just went a year early. They are the Smokey for the flag in 2019 I think. Too much talent on the list now to ignore, and they are building to a nice tough brand. Good to a watch as a neutral too - I hate anyone doing better than Melbourne (though very used to it now) but Essendon games are genuinely good fun to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On another note I'm really proud of Bellchambers. Thought he stood up big time against a quality opponent and had a strong physical presence when his teammates were faltering around him. Not like he dominated Nankervis or anything but I thought he clearly won the matchup.

Plus Smith should be captain. What a gun he is. His relentless pressure puts everyone else to shame. What an amazing recruit he has been.

Couldn’t have asked for much more... they’re just a better side right now than us and will probably win the GF next month.

Skill errors cost us but nobody could question this result is undoubtedly ‘better’ than previous games against Richmond. Yes, they had quality missing but so did we.

I think we have progressed this year despite finishing in a lower ladder position. If we can get the first two months of next season ‘right’, we will contend for finals and perhaps more.

Hope you dont mind.

Agree with this. I was at the dream time, and it was like chalk and cheese tonight. I believe most of your 22 have found the Essendon way, its just unfortunate that 2 or 3 havent yet and it cost you tonight. Goddard, was a disgrace in regards to giving it to his own players, yet giving up on the chase himself. ( hope you dont mind me saying that). I really just came on to say, my god, you have found a quality defender in Francis that will play quality footy for 10 years. He was outstanding!

Have a big off season and im sure you will make finals.

Heppell's kicking dead set needs addressing. He hit more targets as an inexperienced 18-year-old than he does as a seasoned veteran. Some of his kicks under no pressure tonight were disgraceful and very costly.

It’s a joke & yet the majority avoid criticising him for it. It’s symptmatic of why we won’t challenge because we give good sides the ball back & half the time when they least expect it.

Heppell’s one of the main culprits.

Last edited:
Game plan stood up, skills and quite a few individuals didn't.

Proud that we were able to fight it out. Thought Merrett's kick looked good off the boot...

Richmond are very effective but * me if they aren't pushing they are holding in every contest.
Francis the major positive. Beautiful kick of the football.

Smith, Bellchambers, Saad, Stringer, Francis, Hurley and Hooker (can I declare my love for him again - what a warrior) probably our best. McGrath, Parish, Brown, Merrett and McKenna OK.

Colyer started well but went missing. Langford, Myers, Guelfi, Walla, Baguley, never got into it. Zaharakis and Heppell got a lot of it but had no impact. Goddard shouldn't have played. Dea didn't look up to it.

Looking forward to next season. If we can build on this and add Daniher, Fantasia, Redman etc. then we are going places.

I would be frustrated too, but you must surely be a bit excited? I think you’re spot on - the talent is already on your list. 2019 the newer recruits have found their feet, and they’re all guns. Plus Joey D is back next year, and you’ve missed him. But more importantly guys like Parish - who was out of form and dropped this year - now looks to be a real gun. Even better Francis is now playing and he is already good and could be anything. David King is a dickhead generally, but he was right on Essendon. He just went a year early. They are the Smokey for the flag in 2019 I think. Too much talent on the list now to ignore, and they are building to a nice tough brand. Good to a watch as a neutral too - I hate anyone doing better than Melbourne (though very used to it now) but Essendon games are genuinely good fun to watch.
I have to say that it’s hard sometimes to objectively assess your own teams ‘watchability’ due to the obvious bias but geez you’d have to be a true EFC hater to not enjoy the brand of footy we’ve developed. It’s not just the taking the game on and breakneck speed but I’ve really enjoyed watching the ferocity and defensive intensity that has evolved. It’s a potent mix that really should get our supporters excited for the future. It’s footy at its best when it comes off.

Hope you dont mind.

Agree with this. I was at the dream time, and it was like chalk and cheese tonight. I believe most of your 22 have found the Essendon way, its just unfortunate that 2 or 3 havent yet and it cost you tonight. Goddard, was a disgrace in regards to giving it to his own players, yet giving up on the chase himself. ( hope you dont mind me saying that). I really just came on to say, my god, you have found a quality defender in Francis that will play quality footy for 10 years. He was outstanding!

Have a big off season and im sure you will make finals.
I do mind because every man and their dog bag BJ when he's been a stalwart for the club. Was far from that to me.

Felt we were flat & lazy tonight compared to past weeks. Too often were the tigers players 20-30m in the clear casually carrying the ball up the field with all the time in the world to make their decision.

Fitness & work rate needs to be the emphasis this preseason because on the odd occasion we bring it, we look like a damn good football side.

On a side note I feel the tigers got away with murder tonight, most in the way of throws & holding the man but the no call when Caddy blocked Francis from the Riewoldt mark at the top of the goal square is bewildering... that would have been one of the most of obvious free kicks that has ever been missed. Simply unacceptable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back