Preview Round 23 – Melbourne Demons vs GWS Giants, Sunday 26th August 2018, MCG, 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, I think it’s fair to say losing Phil Davis to injury was the straw that finally broke the camel’s back. We couldn’t cover for him and Buddy ran riot.

The fatigue was obvious after half time. Restricted rotations for three consecutive weeks – in reality, just 14 days – no team can sustain punishment like that. At least this week we have the luxury of eight days to recover.

As the top eight teams have now essentially been settled, the question is who finishes where. For us, the equation is pretty simple. Win on Sunday, and we’ll finish 5th, and get a home final against Geelong or Melbourne. Lose, and we finish 7th, with an away final probably against Melbourne. We can’t finish lower than 7th, and the chances of finishing top 4 are most unlikely.

Our real objective this week is to get through the game without any more serious injuries. Then we can re-group for week one of the finals.

We’ll probably get Josh Kelly back, which should help steady the ship. There’s an outside chance Zac Williams might return after his outstanding game in the NEAFL. Ryan Griffen will probably be rested to ensure his hamstring recovers properly. Phil Davis should be OK.

Whatever happens on Sunday, I don’t think we should underestimate our chances in September. A slew of players will be primed for return, including Williams, Sam Reid, Aidan Corr, Sam Taylor, Matt de Boer and Toby. Their availability and some much needed rest will make all the difference.

So please, win, lose or draw against the Demons, no more injuries. :praying::praying::praying:

Hope the injuries are not end of season for a couple of players but looks like a few will miss
Davis needs to get up because without Shaw the backline is missing some leadership and Whitfield needs to be involved to provide some drive
I am torn about Williams coming back in but if he is it would be a big call but if he plays 60% game time it would be good for finals IMO
The Demons will be up after the win so the mids will have a contest and if Kelly and Whitfield have big games that could be the difference

I think we need to play Williams

I’m not sure racking up disposals in he twos will actually prep him for a final- but playing away at he mcg would absolutely do that

Big midfield battle this week. We lost it last week so I’m hoping with the addition of kelly we win it. Lobb likely to lose to gawn but that’s to be expected

I think we need to play Williams

I’m not sure racking up disposals in he twos will actually prep him for a final- but playing away at he mcg would absolutely do that

Big midfield battle this week. We lost it last week so I’m hoping with the addition of kelly we win it. Lobb likely to lose to gawn but that’s to be expected
I agree, would be more beneficial getting minutes into Williams at the top level before moving into a finals game.

As always this year, a great preview LotG. No really much to say until we see the injury report and gauge who goes out and is available to come in. MCG game will be a good tune-up for September finals - we're playing away at least once!
Although if hawks win and Melbourne win we will finish 7th, and play away at the scg. They give swans a few Thursday games, we might play on the Thursday night.

Hope the injuries are not end of season for a couple of players but looks like a few will miss
Davis needs to get up because without Shaw the backline is missing some leadership and Whitfield needs to be involved to provide some drive
I am torn about Williams coming back in but if he is it would be a big call but if he plays 60% game time it would be good for finals IMO
The Demons will be up after the win so the mids will have a contest and if Kelly and Whitfield have big games that could be the difference
Is there any news on Phil. Do we think he will have this week off ?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

good to read in the medical report Davis is just a corked hip. Although painful, he is likely to get up for the weekend
Williams, Kelly at a minimum are ins this week and if others like Greene MDB etc are ready I’m throwing them straight back in as well
This answered my earlier question thanks

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

its such a shame that basically our game plan now is to make sure everyone gets through unscathed.... the week off will absolute wonders for us IMO, not to mention the extra days rest this week.

we have to play everyone who is available and who would be considered for a start in our first IMO, need to work on our game plan for the finals and get a consistent squad going.

fair to say that its pretty likely we are playing the Dees 2 games in a row?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d go with:
Williams Keefe Haynes
Whitfield Tomlinson Kennedy
Shiel Cogs Kelly
Taranto Cameron Langdon
Daniels HH Lloyd
Lobb Ward Hopper
Perryman Bonar Buntine Buckley

If Davis isn’t right don’t risk him. Also, I think the matchups of Tomlinson for McDonald and Keefe for Weidman are good.
I’d give Williams limited game time... we have plenty of players who can cover for him in backhalf. Give him 60% game time, then run the legs off him next weekend.
Him and Whitfield will in tandem will be great for our ball movement.
Go down there, do your best. But the real footy starts in two weeks.

I’d go with:
Williams Keefe Haynes
Shiel Cogs Kelly
Taranto Cameron Langdon
Daniels HH Lloyd
Lobb Ward Hopper
Perryman Bonar Buntine Buckley

If Davis isn’t right don’t risk him. Also, I think the matchups of Tomlinson for McDonald and Keefe for Weidman are good.
I’d give Williams limited game time... we have plenty of players who can cover for him in backhalf. Give him 60% game time, then run the legs off him next weekend.
In two weeks:
Williams Davis Haynes
Whitfield Corr Kennedy
Shiel Cogs Kelly
Taranto Cameron Langdon
Greene HH Lloyd
Lobb Ward Hopper
Perryman De Boer Buntine Tomlinson

In two weeks:
Williams Davis Haynes
Whitfield Corr Kennedy
Shiel Cogs Kelly
Taranto Cameron Langdon
Greene HH Lloyd
Lobb Ward Hopper
Perryman De Boer Buntine Tomlinson
That's a genuinely good side on paper.

Not sure I'd be going with Corr though. Ages since he's played.

I’d go with:
Williams Davis Haynes
Shiel Cogs Kelly
Taranto Cameron Langdon
Daniels HH Lloyd
Lobb Ward Hopper
Perryman Bonar Buntine Keefe

Davis is looking very likely for this week.

Just me speculating Davis could be named and then given until the game to see if he is right
Sproule upgraded so he can be match day emergency maybe and then if required he can step in and reward for a solid year in the reserves, the other thing is he could be named depending on Cameron nd if he did anything to his ankle before the game
2-3 weeks out for Griffen and his hamstring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back