Preview Round 24 – Carlton vs GWS Giants, Sunday August 27, 6.10pm AEST, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Finn Callaghan is too much of a risk.

"Second-year GIANT Finn Callaghan will also increase his training from Wednesday after the achilles soreness that has caused him to miss the past two matches has eased."

Saying his injury "has eased" does not fill me with confidence 5 days out from what is most likely our most important game of the year. Having 'almost fit' players start important games has burned us before.

I read the headline being "two available" - Haynes & XOH - pretty much ruling out Finn. Club is trying to be positive about him.

On the one hand I'd be leery of making too many changes to the side which just served up an emphatic thrashing of Essendon. However we've gotten a few players back from Injury and illness so I think I'd be trying to put them in and get our best team on the park against Carlton. With the pussies living up to their name and putting the cue in the rack for the end of the season it's looking we're going to need a win if we're going to make finals.

I kind of agree with both sides in the discussion about Fahey. He's a promising young player but he did turn the ball over multiple times last week, bombing straight to opposition players against a side which really wasn't giving much in the way of pressure. It looks like Callaghan won't be right just yet and it'd be good to give him the full two weeks to get fully fit, assuming we make it to finals. Angwin is recovered from illness so I'd bring him straight back in to replace Fahey. XOH is a like for like upgrade over Lloyd and I'd be bringing him back to. Haynes is also recovered from illness and I think he's our best sub.

In: Angwin, XOH
Out: Fahey, Lloyd

Sub: Haynes

Club said that Callaghan had been increasing his running loads, and it comes down to how he feels on Friday I guess.

Would say he is 60/40 for Sunday but should be back for finals if we are there.
Missing the Blues game would give him two more weeks to get right ... although pitching straight into the heat of a finals game.

I read the headline being "two available" - Haynes & XOH - pretty much ruling out Finn. Club is trying to be positive about him.
You're right. Our medical team, especially towards the back-end of year have done a brilliant job.

They wouldn't rush players back who are at risk (Taylor and Daniels have played brilliantly since hammies, and XOH has been allowed maximum time to recover).

Chalk and cheese compared to previous years.

Missing the Blues game would give him two more weeks to get right ... although pitching straight into the heat of a finals game.
Yeah , I’m reasonably sure that he has a low grade Achilles strain which normally takes 2 weeks to get back from which makes sense for Friday to be the day to find out.

Preference would be:
Callaghan for fahey
Cads for Keefe (poor man’s Miers without the assists. Ie hasn’t kicked a goal year). If we want to go on a run in sept, back in Cadman because when it clicks for him he is going to make some big plays.
XO for Lloyd
Ricca backup ruck

Brown as sub versatility and impact

More likely to retain Keefe as backup ruck:
Callaghan for fahey
XO for brown who becomes sub. Lloyd holds on because he offers something different to the other small forwards with his kicking

There should be no holding Callaghan back for finals. If he is fit he plays (assuming the dogs beat cats sat night)

Having read the line-up suggestions so far and all the excellent input, I reckon:

XOH for Fahey (he's going to be real good one day. Right now, I just don't see his current form fitting in for such a crucial game)

and that's it!

AK doesn't make bulk changes (as many have stated) and I don't see a spot for Haynes considering how well the team played on Saturday.

Re: Finn Callaghan - the Injury List says, 'Test'. His name must be off the injury list and a statement similar to, "no pain' / 'fully recovered' from the medical staff before even contemplating his return.

[Possibly for another thread, but I can't escape the thought that we might have seen Haynes for the last time with recent signings and how lauded our backline is at the moment. Respectful replies only :)]

Last edited:
Finn Callaghan is too much of a risk.

"Second-year GIANT Finn Callaghan will also increase his training from Wednesday after the achilles soreness that has caused him to miss the past two matches has eased."

Saying his injury "has eased" does not fill me with confidence 5 days out from what is most likely our most important game of the year. Having 'almost fit' players start important games has burned us before.

Callaghan is no chance

Idun Taylor HH
Whitfield Buckley Ash
Kelly Cogs Fahey/Haynes
Greene Riccardi Brown
Daniels Hogan Bedford
Briggs Green Ward
Perryman Keeffe Lloyd Cumming
XOH

Preference would be:
Callaghan for fahey
Cads for Keefe (poor man’s Miers without the assists. Ie hasn’t kicked a goal year). If we want to go on a run in sept, back in Cadman because when it clicks for him he is going to make some big plays.
XO for Lloyd
Ricca backup ruck

Brown as sub versatility and impact

More likely to retain Keefe as backup ruck:
Callaghan for fahey
XO for brown who becomes sub. Lloyd holds on because he offers something different to the other small forwards with his kicking

There should be no holding Callaghan back for finals. If he is fit he plays (assuming the dogs beat cats sat night)
Don’t like brown as the sub, he is getting more of the ball now and contests balls i50 really well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having read the line-up suggestions so far and all the excellent input, I reckon:

XOH for Fahey (he's going to be real good one day. Right now, I just don't see his current form fitting in for such a crucial game)

and that's it!

AK doesn't make bulk changes (as many have stated) and I don't see a spot for Haynes considering how well the team played on Saturday.

Re: Finn Callaghan - the Injury List says, 'Test'. His name must be off the injury list and a statement similar to, "no pain' / 'fully recovered' from the medical staff before even contemplating his return.

[Possibly for another thread, but I can't escape the thought that we might have seen Haynes for the last time with recent signings and how lauded our backline is at the moment. Respectful replies only :)]

Why would we put him in cotton wool if he gets through training? They use test for all our players returning from injury the week they play.

Can’t win premierships if you aren’t playing in September. He is significantly better than our other wing options and strengthens us in the guys.

Yeah I don't mind XO on the wing instead of Fahey. Cumming on the other wing probably gives us enough pace and skill...having a blunt force instrument on the other wing is fun.
He won't have the same touch as Brown ATM....for me Brown has to stay in....he's an important part of the Daniels, Bedford combo...but bigger ya know.

There is going to be some unlucky players.
I think Brown is playing the role XOH was playing early in the year (without pushing through the middle)
Not sure who misses TBH.
ID leave Fahey out, but I d be more inclined to play Angwin on the wing than XOH (assuming no Finn).
But I also want XOH in.

I don't know who I want in TBH.

What I really want is the Dogs to fall in a heap so at least we can trial a few things before finals.

Why would we put him in cotton wool if he gets through training? They use test for all our players returning from injury the week they play.
It's the 2019 Grand Final in the back of my mind.

This game is the most important for ages (assuming results don't fall our way on Saturday).

I fear that he'll be underdone for such a game and at risk of a more serious injury (I've been near someone who did an achilles - it seriously sounded like a gunshot - maybe that's clouding my judgement).

You make an excellent point, though.

Callaghan is no chance
Agree and why risk Callaghan when he can have the pre final bye to fully recover- assuming of course we make it.

Also maybe look at resting Jesse if bulldogs lose and either Sydney/ Saints win, for if they happen regardless of the Carlton result we will be in the finals and will be travelling away for the elimination finals.

Otherwise, I personally think no change given the awesome performance last week - biggest ever score and highest margin victory in our history. If the final composition is not impacted by the time of the Carlton, I would just replace Jesse with Cadman - I would love for Wade to debut but don’t think Adam will do that

It's the 2019 Grand Final in the back of my mind.

This game is the most important for ages (assuming results don't fall our way on Saturday).

I fear that he'll be underdone for such a game and at risk of a more serious injury (I've been near someone who did an achilles - it seriously sounded like a gunshot - maybe that's clouding my judgement).

You make an excellent point, though.
He hasn’t torn his Achilles though, a worst it’s a low location strain.

Play Phil Davis at Full Forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back