Preview Round 24 – Carlton vs GWS Giants, Sunday August 27, 6.10pm AEST, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought that was the Hawks?
Their fans seemed to take it the hardest. Making up conspiracies.
The smoke was very much around the Hawks and his JOM connection.

In a blow to the Giants, they are again likely to be without young gun Finn Callaghan.

An outside chance for the Rising Star award just a month ago, the No.3 draft pick from 2021 failed to train again on Wednesday as he battles Achilles soreness and is facing a fourth straight game on the sidelines.

Reading through the Carlton board it is clear they are embracing the success of focusing on contested posession and clearances to win. It has been the key reason they have won a lot of games in this streak

Looking back at 2019…. We were the same. We had a contested posession and scores from stoppage game plan. We got on a run and made a gf off the back of it.

Overwhelmingly we were found out (not just in 2019 but in subsequent years too) and the forward half turnover game proved better over time. Richmond, collingwood set the way and we have played our best footy when we embrace this method of playing

This week shapes as a defining match up…. Are Carlton onto the new new way of playing? Or are they in a purple patch with an old game style? The key difference between them and us in 2019 is their emphasis on center bounce clearances rather than just stoppage clearance in general which is what we had.

It is a Fascinating narrative. My opinion? In the long term…. The forward half turnover game has shown to be more effective over a longer period of time

"Second-year GIANT Finn Callaghan was unable to prove his fitness, while forward Xavier O’Halloran has been overlooked after returning to contact work this week from a broken thumb."

That doesn't sit well with me. Very weird comment to make considering he should otherwise be 100% fit.

And wasn't it just a dislocation?? I've read dislocation / thumb injury in previous articles, but not broken.

I hate when there's misinformation so hopefully it was mentioned somewhere.

Cumming - I'm not confident him playing centre - past matches he appears 'lost'.

Otherwise, looks a very strong team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looks like we're going in pretty much unchanged.

In fact the only change might be Angwin for Fahey.
I hope we make that change.
I really like what angwin brings

The Cats won't roll over and now have nothing to lose.
GEELONG

In:
M.Knevitt, S.Menegola, O.Dempsey, T.Conway, R.Stanley, O.Mullin
Out:
M.Duncan (suspension), E.Ratugolea (hamstring), B.Close (ankle), J.Cameron (AC joint), T.Hawkins (hamstring), T.Bruhn (Injured), Z.Tuohy (sub)

GEELONG

In:
M.Knevitt, S.Menegola, O.Dempsey, T.Conway, R.Stanley, O.Mullin
Out: M.Duncan (suspension), E.Ratugolea (hamstring), B.Close (ankle), J.Cameron (AC joint), T.Hawkins (hamstring), T.Bruhn (Injured), Z.Tuohy (sub)
Funny thing is it still isn’t a guaranteed that Geelong will lose.

"Second-year GIANT Finn Callaghan was unable to prove his fitness, while forward Xavier O’Halloran has been overlooked after returning to contact work this week from a broken thumb."

That doesn't sit well with me. Very weird comment to make considering he should otherwise be 100% fit.

And wasn't it just a dislocation?? I've read dislocation / thumb injury in previous articles, but not broken.

I hate when there's misinformation so hopefully it was mentioned somewhere.

Cumming - I'm not confident him playing centre - past matches he appears 'lost'.

Otherwise, looks a very strong team.

If you watch Kingsley's press conference I think the main issue with XO (and less so Finn) was match fitness. They haven't played a game in 8 weeks or so. The match fitness and touch probably isn't there compared to the guys out there.

I like the team. I'm not bothered if Angwin or Fahey ends up as the sub...both can be damaging. I'd lean towardz playing Fahey, we need to put score them and I think he is more damaging

Funny thing is it still isn’t a guaranteed that Geelong will lose.
If the Dogs lose to West Coast and Cats with those outs then Beveridge will be told to find his own way back home

If you watch Kingsley's press conference I think the main issue with XO (and less so Finn) was match fitness.
I agree match fitness would be an issue, but didn't Daniels and Taylor return to the Firsts straight after hamstring injuries - a far more risky proposition.

I agree match fitness would be an issue, but didn't Daniels and Taylor return to the Firsts straight after hamstring injuries - a far more risky proposition.
Yeah but with a lack of depth in those positions compared to XO who would probably have to dethrone Brown.

I feel that the first quarter is probably the most important first-quarter of the season.

Take last week out of the equation and our first quarters are still pretty bad. Carlton are going all out, and so they should, and I also think the boys can beat them if they play their Best.

But I get the feeling if the blues get out to a 4-5 goal lead in the first quarter, they will end up smashing us. I hope Kingsley is working on that

What a ripper this will be

Some excellent posts. My 2c:
- We are #1 For turnovers vs Carlton #1 from stoppage. Which game wins? Turnovers is the more modern game, stoppage was our game 2018-2022. Kingers bought in the Richmond game style of pressure and turnover.

- 1st quarters been fairly poor most of the year and we’ve been very strong 2nd halfs. Need a very strong 1st qtr and set the tone with pressure.

- A sore Cripps could help with clearances. But they have plenty of other talent to support. Green needs a big high cp game. TFG may get some midfield mins if they get on top OR if Newman limits his influence.

- Umpiring will play a major role that could swing the contest. Just hope poor decisions don’t lead to goals against (like the last time we played them). The vfl will be doing everything to help them over the line.

- Bring our A+ pressure game for 4qtrs and kick accurately the. we have a good chance to win!!!

Go hard boys !!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back