Preview Round 24 – Carlton vs GWS Giants, Sunday August 27, 6.10pm AEST, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus… he’s only played a few games. Stop being so critical
Yep - and he's developed some very bad habits that could cost the team plenty this weekend.

I'm just saying who he reminds me of.

I can be as critical as I like based on evidence.

Don't need you to tell me to stop.

Might be far-fetched, but it's IMHO, Fahey is trying to play a bit like Scott Pendlebury.

The pauses, not running at full pelt, looking upfield and the optimistic precision kick.

Pendlebury can do it, though.
Exactly. Chews up time gets his 15secs on camera and long bomb pretty much every time anyway. Will be a good player but better options right now.

I understand the structural role that Lachie Keeffe plays in the side but I’m still not convinced there’s a net benefit in playing him. He has played most of the year as a forward/ruck chop out but hasn’t kicked a single goal.

I’d prefer to see O’Halloran take that spot as a high half forward/mid and bring even more pressure to the forward line.

Briggs is playing 80%+ game time so surely between HH, Riccardi and Brown they can chop out for the other 20%.

In: O’Halloran, Callaghan (if fit)
Out: Fahey, Keeffe

Sub one of Angwin, Haynes or Fahey.
I think the key role Keefe is playing is providing a contest forward of the ball. Obviously he has a chop out in the ruck which is handy, but as a forward, he rarely gets beaten in the air. It brings the smalls into the game

I think that’s why he keeps getting picked

IMHO, I think Keefe is a vital cog in the 'structure'.

Allows HH, Brown and Riccardi to focus on their normal roles without the risk of being beaten up in the ruck.

He's not a good kick, has no pace, but some of his work is really unsung.

That tap to McMullin for his first goal was brilliant. At the ground, you could see Keefe and McMullin having a quick chat before the ball-up. They were concocting something, and it worked.

I just think Keefe does a lot of stuff that stats don't reflect.

The dogs have won 4 of their last 12 or something and got rolled by 16th and 18th in consecutive weeks. Dogs are no sure things against anyone

and haven’t won at the cattery since round 16, 2003 (with only 3 of the games since getting within 3 goals)

they don’t play the ground well.

The dogs have won 4 of their last 12 or something and got rolled by 16th and 18th in consecutive weeks. Dogs are no sure things against anyone
There is definitely some internal turmoil over there and it seems a section or even majority of the team want the coach gone, that is our best hope. Geelong will be heavily undermanned.

Watch out .... we got a badass over here :)
He's got a point. If we can't discuss pros and cons/development opportunities of players, even if they've only played a few games, then it's not a discussion forum - it's just an echo chamber.

He's not saying Fahey will never be a good player, it's just that right now there is stuff to work on - and part of that is exactly because he's only played a handful of games. Same as Cadman or McMullin or Ash or almost any other player.

Fahey looks very raw to me, he has some really good attributes but sometimes it almost looks like he’s playing school footy and that he’s a little careless.

He’s only young and I think he’s lucky to be in such a good environment where he will continue to improve. I love his agility and he can really give it a roost, just need to tighten up his defensive areas, strengthen up his body and he can be a nice point of difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fahey looks very raw to me, he has some really good attributes but sometimes it almost looks like he’s playing school footy and that he’s a little careless.

He’s only young and I think he’s lucky to be in such a good environment where he will continue to improve. I love his agility and he can really give it a roost, just need to tighten up his defensive areas, strengthen up his body and he can be a nice point of difference.
He shows some flashes of brilliance with his kicks and positioning on the defensive wing. Just needs to work on his vision when moving up the field.

I actually like that he wants to take on the harder kick , rather than trying to kick it down the line.

My last comment over this issue - we can agree and disagree - it's a forum for discussion.

But a non-moderator publicly telling another poster to 'stop' goes over the line and is something I will not put up with.

IMHO, I think Keefe is a vital cog in the 'structure'.

Allows HH, Brown and Riccardi to focus on their normal roles without the risk of being beaten up in the ruck.

He's not a good kick, has no pace, but some of his work is really unsung.

That tap to McMullin for his first goal was brilliant. At the ground, you could see Keefe and McMullin having a quick chat before the ball-up. They were concocting something, and it worked.

I just think Keefe does a lot of stuff that stats don't reflect.
Yep understand those benefits, just think XO would offer more value overall.

Carlton have a much tougher midfield than Essendon, so another bullish mid who also goes forward and kicks goals would be valuable.

Carlton have a much tougher midfield than Essendon, so another bullish mid who also goes forward and kicks goals would be valuable.
They offer completely different things though. They arent the same player. LLoyd and XO are playing the same role... I could see that comparison.

I looked at Geelongs Board, supposedly a few players are going to have surgery ( also an SEN article) now. Jeremy Cameron is one of them.
So it looks to me we will probably need to beat Carlton. It would be nice though if Bulldogs lose to Geelong.

My last comment over this issue - we can agree and disagree - it's a forum for discussion.

But a non-moderator publicly telling another poster to 'stop' goes over the line and is something I will not put up with.
Are you referring to me? If so you may be confused… I was talking about being overly critical of a player whose played a handful of games… people saying “Fahey thinks he is Scott Pendulebury” is some of the biggest nonsense that’s been posted on here.

Are you referring to me? If so you may be confused… I was talking about being overly critical of a player whose played a handful of games… people saying “Fahey thinks he is Scott Pendulebury” is some of the biggest nonsense that’s been posted on here.
I felt the thinks his Pendelbury was having a go at him as a person and not his football, it didnt sit well with me either.

All for criticisms of players, but not a fan of the personal implications. Not that those comments were definitely personal, in the grey area, still didnt sit well with me.

You make an interesting point.

Someone a couple of weeks ago mentioned that Kingsley usually goes by like-for-like if there are any changes, so it would be interesting if AK does throw a curve ball like you suggest.

Go into the game shorter and run Carlton off their legs. I like your thoughts.

Finn Callaghan is too much of a risk.

"Second-year GIANT Finn Callaghan will also increase his training from Wednesday after the achilles soreness that has caused him to miss the past two matches has eased."

Saying his injury "has eased" does not fill me with confidence 5 days out from what is most likely our most important game of the year. Having 'almost fit' players start important games has burned us before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back