Preview Round 24 – Carlton vs GWS Giants, Sunday August 27, 6.10pm AEST, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
What a win by the boys yesterday afternoon. It was like watching a bunch of kids run around having a bit of fun. Being there to see it certainly was.

Have a look at scale of the Match Timeline on the AFL website. You don’t see that too often. And the stats are amazing. There was almost no pressure on Taylor or Buckley at all. The tackle count was way down. Hogan took almost as many contested marks as everyone else put together. And with uncontested marks, there was daylight between him and the rest of the team. Definitely one for his and the club’s highlights reel.

As enjoyable as it was, it almost didn’t compare to news that the Eagles did us and a few other teams the unbelievable favour of knocking off the Bulldogs this afternoon.

What it all means is that we’re still in the hunt for a home final. If we beat Carlton, and the Saints lose badly to Brisbane, and the Swans lose by any margin, we can finish as high as sixth.

We can also lose to Carlton and still play finals if Geelong beat the Bulldogs. We’ll all know by Saturday night. Be extra nice to any Cats supporters you come across this week. But let's not be negative. It's not the Kingsley way.

After yesterday, the only change to the team to strengthen it would be Callaghan for Fahey:

FB Buckley, Taylor, Idun
HB Ash, Himmelberg, Whitfield
C Kelly, Green, Callaghan
HF Bedford, Riccardi, Daniels
FF Lloyd, Hogan, Greene

FOL Briggs, Ward, Coniglio
IC Cumming, Perryman, Brown, Keeffe

Sub: Fahey

EM: McMullin, Wehr, Angwin, Flynn

In: Callaghan
Out: Fahey

This will be a humdinger of a final round. Even if the Saints and Swans win, Carlton are reasonably secure in fifth place because of their percentage. They wouldn’t have any incentive to go hard at us. If other results fall our way – and there’s a strong chance they will – we might be playing for a home final.

In the hunt for a home final. Who would have thought it possible after last week?

Go Giants! Let's see how much you want it!

I’m making the trip down the Hume for the game. Hoping to see the kind of hard nosed pressure game that I know we can bring.

I think hogan should be ok for Sunday on eight days rest, but if he can’t get up for it Cadman has shown that he has the talent at the vfl level and will come in with some confidence.

Callaghan and Xoh potentially to return for this game which elevates our class a little. No knock to fahey but he needs to work on his disposal over the off season and come back ready to lift next year.

I’m cautiously optimistic that we can take it to Carlton even if they don’t rest players, we have the game plan and personnel to achieve things.

Callaghan would be great to add to the run of the tsunami, but we need to be careful with his physical condition, and if O'Halloran is ready to go he's another. Haynes might be available after illness, but I hope we resist returning him to the team as IMHO it would upset the balance of the team. Hopefully Jesse is OK; and it was just he was getting a lot more of a workout than usual with all the ball being directed his way. This should be a good game.

Callaghan would be great to add to the run of the tsunami, but we need to be careful with his physical condition, and if O'Halloran is ready to go he's another. Haynes might be available after illness, but I hope we resist returning him to the team as IMHO it would upset the balance of the team. Hopefully Jesse is OK; and it was just he was getting a lot more of a workout than usual with all the ball being directed his way. This should be a good game.
Perhaps XOH will be sub…? Great to have him back.

We will know by Saturday night whether we are in the finals, or we need to beat Carlton to make the finals. The good thing about playing the last match of the home and away season, is we will also know by then if the Saints or Sydney have won, and hence whether we host an elimination final if we beat Carlton.

Carlton however will be strong, and with 9 consecutive wins they will not want to flirt with their form just before the finals. It will be a hard match for us with Curnow in great form, and the market has us as $2.66 underdogs (Carlton are $1.48).

This will be Coniglio’s 200th match, and hopefully we will celebrate that with a win. We are playing very well as a team and the Essendon demolition was a joy to watch.

Hopefully we win, and as a bonus host the elimination match.

Agreed: Callaghan for Fahey, with Fahey as sub. McMullan omitted.

If O'Halloran is cleared to play, he goes in as sub for Fahey. XOH should be fit considering its a thumb injury.

Hogan playing is dependant on the Geelong / Bulldogs game.

Geelong win - the Carlton / Giants game is a dead rubber.

If that happens, Hogan is a late out.

In fact, use as many emergencies as necessary and gives those players who need a rest a 2 week break.

Mrs Noodle was in the coffee queue behind XO before the game (he was getting 8 coffees for the coaches, so had time for a chat) and when she asked if we’d see him back on the field next week his response was “that’s the plan” - he was however still wearing a thumb guard - so who really knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hogan playing is dependant on the Geelong / Bulldogs game.

Geelong win - the Carlton / Giants game is a dead rubber.

If that happens, Hogan is a late out.

In fact, use as many emergencies as necessary and gives those players who need a rest a 2 week break.
Agree. But resting players also would depend on the outcome of the Saints and Swans matches? If both lose, then if we beat Carlton we could host an elimination final.

I understand the structural role that Lachie Keeffe plays in the side but I’m still not convinced there’s a net benefit in playing him. He has played most of the year as a forward/ruck chop out but hasn’t kicked a single goal.

I’d prefer to see O’Halloran take that spot as a high half forward/mid and bring even more pressure to the forward line.

Briggs is playing 80%+ game time so surely between HH, Riccardi and Brown they can chop out for the other 20%.

In: O’Halloran, Callaghan (if fit)
Out: Fahey, Keeffe

Sub one of Angwin, Haynes or Fahey.

I understand the structural role that Lachie Keeffe plays in the side but I’m still not convinced there’s a net benefit in playing him. He has played most of the year as a forward/ruck chop out but hasn’t kicked a single goal.

I’d prefer to see O’Halloran take that spot as a high half forward/mid and bring even more pressure to the forward line.

Briggs is playing 80%+ game time so surely between HH, Riccardi and Brown they can chop out for the other 20%.

In: O’Halloran, Callaghan (if fit)
Out: Fahey, Keeffe

Sub one of Angwin, Haynes or Fahey.
I’d play big Preussy for Keefe …. Can play the same role but more effectively

I’d play big Preussy for Keefe …. Can play the same role but more effectively
Preuss didn't play in the Ressies on Saturday; so even if he doesn't have some injury his match fitness is probably less than ideal. If they were to play a another ruckman then the best alternative is Flynn. But I like AG's suggestion of O'Halloran for his pressure, then the option would be HH/Brown as the ruck cut-outs.

Keeffe is obviously playing the role that AK has set him so I suspect there'll be no changes in the forward structure; unless someone figures out how to clone Hogan in the next few days.

Preuss didn't play in the Ressies on Saturday; so even if he doesn't have some injury his match fitness is probably less than ideal. If they were to play a another ruckman then the best alternative is Flynn. But I like AG's suggestion of O'Halloran for his pressure, then the option would be HH/Brown as the ruck cut-outs.

Keeffe is obviously playing the role that AK has set him so I suspect there'll be no changes in the forward structure; unless someone figures out how to clone Hogan in the next few days.
Ahhh, thought Preuss had had a run in the twos

Callaghan for Fahey
XO for Brown.

Brown as sub.

Haynes isn’t in our best 23 and Brown’s form has tailed off. Fahey is too casual with ball in hand (needs to stop motioning to slow the game down with his hands and get the ball moving then long bombing down the line - just get the ball moving). XO gives us another option to roll through the midfield and impact the contest.

Callaghan for Fahey
XO for Brown.

Brown as sub.

Haynes isn’t in our best 23 and Brown’s form has tailed off. Fahey is too casual with ball in hand (needs to stop motioning to slow the game down with his hands and get the ball moving then long bombing down the line - just get the ball moving). XO gives us another option to roll through the midfield and impact the contest.
I'm not confident we'll get Callaghan back with his ongoing achillies 'soreness'.
Fahey turned over the ball a lot, luckily it didn't hurt us, but makes his place in the team shaky.
XO would be ideal.

Hoping he'll be right for finals.
I think we need to go deep into the finals for him to play again this season (but I could be wrong)

The finals bye defiantly helps us out this season but we need to get past the Blues first

Callaghan for Fahey
XO for Brown.

Brown as sub.

Disagree on Brown - might make the odd mistake but does a lot of good things and is averaging a goal a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back