Preview Round 23 - Geelong v Melbourne, 1:45pm Saturday @ Kardinia Park

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we all agree Bartel is in our best 22?
Yes for his experience and his leadership. For example the game against West Coast when in the 3rd 1/4 they started to kick goals Bartel slowed it down, did some organising and away we went. Not sure there is anyone else who can or who does that.

A month or so ago I would have said yes but now im not so sure, his form has dropped off badly and we have other options coming through, i'll put it out there now that if he doesn't play this week then he is finished.
His games against Adelaide and the Dogs in the past month were excellent.

Do we all agree Bartel is in our best 22?

Yes. No credible argument for that not being the case.
Has had a good year.

And why would I engage with a child who throws insults other than to point out his churlishness?
Thanks for riding in on your white horse though, Sir Lancelot :$:$:$

Sorry but the job of board white knight has long ago been filled and it is not Seeds.

Get a job or a girlfriend dude...you spend far too much time stalking me. I figured if I stopped responding to you, you'd just go away, but I can see now that your issues run deeper than first thought
Serious question .....R U OK?
I love it when you play hard to get.

Honestly think its a media beat up, people who actually watch us week in week out know that he is still in our best 22.
Nope. With Menegola and Selwood cementing themselves in the midfield there's no position for him there, he's a liability down back and there isn't a forward role available for him either.

It's either Bartel or Blicavs, we can't keep carrying both... They will but that's their mistake.

One thing is becoming increasingly apparent, we really can't rely on North to save our top 4 bacon if we drop this one...

Though if we lose this one, I don't think there is much hope for us in September anyway.

I hope the 'vibe' is that this is the first final and we treat it as such.

Cowan haters in early, wont get dropped, he is playing too well.
Well ahead of Blicavs, Lang, Kersten, Ruggles, S Selwood, Kolo
I'd have ins Menzel, Caddy, Bartel, Cocky
outs Lang, Kersten, Blicavs, Kolo
the refusal to drop blicavs might cost us a flag again
When has the refusal to drop the Blitz ever cost us a flag?

When has the refusal to drop the Blitz ever cost us a flag?
I think our forward blitz in 92 cost us a flag. We needed to be a touch more defensive.

Nope. With Menegola and Selwood cementing themselves in the midfield there's no position for him there, he's a liability down back and there isn't a forward role available for him either.

It's either Bartel or Blicavs, we can't keep carrying both... They will but that's their mistake.
Carrying Bartel? Now I have truly heard everything.....

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

In: Bartel, Caddy, Menzel, Cockatoo
Out: Hendo (inj), Lonergan (family stuff), Lang, Kersten

Hendo and Lonners puts off having to make a difficult decision about the other two spots for another week (possibly). Otherwise I would have had to suggest Cowan out. He has been really good and seems to have gotten better every game, is confident, gutsy and makes good decisions, he will be a player, maybe not yet best 22 but at the least he will be a depth player for the next few years and I would expect to get 50-100 games out of him. However, Menegola and Scott Selwood have superseded him at present and push comes to shove he will have to make way. Should be ok for this week and might screw things up by getting 30 touches, 3 goals and playing a blinder.

Carrying Bartel? Now I have truly heard everything.....

Really? That's what's wrong with this board. Opinions get treated with contempt and ridiculed when not agreed with, instead of constructively argued.

I've posed the question before and nobody has yet to come up with an answer.

What area on the ground does Bartel make us a better team?

In defense - we're slow enough.

In the midfield - we're already carriying Blicavs who doesn't get enough of the ball and Selwood is a better option as a defensive midfielder. Menegola and Caddy are also better options as inside mids and Duncan and Motlop ditto on the outside.

He gets exposed for pace.

Forward - no longer kicks enough goals.

It is of my view that he is a liability and has been average for all bar a month of football.

Really? That's what's wrong with this board. Opinions get treated with contempt and ridiculed when not agreed with, instead of constructively argued.

I've posed the question before and nobody has yet to come up with an answer.

What area on the ground does Bartel make us a better team?

In defense - we're slow enough.

In the midfield - we're already carriying Blicavs who doesn't get enough of the ball and Selwood is a better option as a defensive midfielder. Menegola and Caddy are also better options as inside mids and Duncan and Motlop ditto on the outside.

He gets exposed for pace.

Forward - no longer kicks enough goals.

It is of my view that he is a liability and has been average for all bar a month of football.

It's a reasonable question, where does he play? Or an even better one - whose spot is he taking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bartel has had a very good season. I dont know what games others have been watching, but the ones I have seen has him as a regular contributor who consistently uses the ball well and provides a strong contested option around the ground.

He can pinch hit in any number of positions and based only on this season alone, is well away from the drop zone.

Menengola, based on a few games against lower ranked opposition, left relatively unchecked, is a prime example of someone who is NOT ahead of the pecking order.

It's a reasonable question, where does he play? Or an even better one - whose spot is he taking?
In my view it's either Bartel or Blicavs, not both.

Bartel has had a very good season.
If that was the case then the recent drama surrounding a possible forced retirement next year wouldn't have occurred.

Enright - now that's an example of someone who has had a 'very good season' hence why the club would like him to go on.

Now I know you'll say completely different roles and positions, but that leads us back to my last question.

Not the worst suggestion by any means considering who else is in the team and who will return. I suspect we'll get some interesting responses after selection in the coming weeks.
I'm fairly sure both will continue to get selected, rightly or wrongly.

Blicavs has been ordinary, totally agree...there are countless examples of him turning the ball over, hesitating on traffic and missing key plays. He would be in the drop zone.

Bartel? Cmon....where is the actual evidence of poor performance. He hasnt coughed the ball up under no pressure against bottom 4 sides (resulting in direct goals) like both Ruggles and Kolo. He hasnt been found wanting in going in hard for a contest...re Motlop and he certainly hasnt had a complete lack of awarness when trying to abide by team structures (Hello Nakia Cockatoo, Jed Bews and Josh Cowan)....so perhaps im missing something, but would be intrigued as to understand how people have arrived at poor performer?

Honestly think its a media beat up, people who actually watch us week in week out know that he is still in our best 22.
I think he's been good for most of the year.
But in the Essendon and Richmond game he was complete shite.

If he takes that form into the finals then no, he's not best 22.
He'd be a liability.

If we don't play Kersten then this opens option for Bartel to play forward.

My finals team compared to last week would be:

In: Bartel, Caddy, Menzel, Cockatoo (would be very lucky but I think we need as team too predictable)
Out: Lang, Cowan, Kersten, Blitz

Tempted to drop Mackie instead of Blitz

Guthrie in backline
Bartel forward/mid
Caddy forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the worst suggestion by any means considering who else is in the team and who will return. I suspect we'll get some interesting responses after selection in the coming weeks.

Certainly going to be an interesting month ahead at the selection table but if history is anything to go by then both Blicavs and Bartel have absolutely nothing to worry about. Both could have shocking games this week and still be selected.

Bartel though has had a terrific season I think and deserves his spot. Blicavs should be on the fringe.

If we go back to the Bulldogs game where Stanley kicked 5 goals, we might see the team revert to a similar set up this match.

With Henderson out, Lonergan doubtful due to family commitments, we might throw Stanley forward to partner Hawkins for the match, and then leave Blicavs to play as #2 ruck to Smith.

It worked well that match, with Stanley having one of his best games for the club, while Blicavs had one of his best games for the season also. Might be good to see if we can get a repeat performance because it could solve a few structural issues heading into finals by proving us with the second tall forward, allowing us to play the extra midfielder along side Blicavs.

Just completed a quick analysis by spreadsheet. If Adelaide get up in a super tight one over WC, then we only have to beat Melbourne by 10-11 goals to pass them on percentage.

Not likely, but not outside the realms of possibility if we can put together a 4 quarter performance.
Adelaide will be missing Sloan and smith. They could get done imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back