Preview Round 23 Geelong vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS should beat us given both squads... The amount of young talent they have is ridiculous. Hopefully Kelly leaves and a few others join him, the AFLs baby needs to get back on even playing field.

Might pay to drop this game, end 4th, and hope we can beat the Crows in Adelaide in the QF.

Then we then go into the PF, and do not face the Swans unless they make the GF (as they are on the other side of the draw).

We'd also get PA or Richmond in a PF at the G or Home?

Swans will probably play GWS in the other PF, which could go either way.

This is the best chance for us to win the flag this year.

Attachments

• LadderPredictor2017.png
    LadderPredictor2017.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Finals2017.png
    Finals2017.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 7
GWS should beat us given both squads... The amount of young talent they have is ridiculous. Hopefully Kelly leaves and a few others join him, the AFLs baby needs to get back on even playing field.

Unfortunately it's going to be a looooong time until that happens. GWS usually gets first round picks for stars that leave (which is fair enough if they are stars). They pick a very talented player in the draft, he develops into a star, requests trade, they get a first round pick for him or more, repeat.

Who will get reported first? Hawkins or Greene?

Greene will break his hand punching Hawkins and Hawk will get two weeks for poor punch taking technique and not having enough duty of care towards Greene's fist. Greene will have no case to answer.

Unfortunately it's going to be a looooong time until that happens. GWS usually gets first round picks for stars that leave (which is fair enough if they are stars). They pick a very talented player in the draft, he develops into a star, requests trade, they get a first round pick for him or more, repeat.
I guess the only hope is they start getting duds with their top picks.. It's a joke for a system that is supposed to be about equalisation they get such a free run at the best young talent at the expense of other clubs. Gold Coast ****ed up their chance, GWS learnt from it and got lucky with some high quality draft talent for the years they had access to them. The AFL is subsidising them and GC at great expense and will go to the ends of the world to ensure they have success.

Never thought I'd say it but need Blicavs. Stanley and GHS not good enough. You don't want any tiers below Murdoch, Parsons. and we have no players besides Lang and various under 50 gamers.

Mainly need to trade a couple of B/C graders in next season.

Might pay to drop this game, end 4th, and hope we can beat the Crows in Adelaide in the QF.

Then we then go into the PF, and do not face the Swans unless they make the GF (as they are on the other side of the draw).

Agree. We don't want to face the Swans until the GF but our boys will be going out there to win and I think they will.

It's a pickle.

Who will get reported first? Hawkins or Greene?
Greene to attempt karate kick part II with Hawkins on the receiving end, but the MRP deem Hawkins has headbutted his foot so he is given 3 weeks

Agree. We don't want to face the Swans until the GF but our boys will be going out there to win and I think they will.

It's a pickle.
Why don't we want to face them till the gf? If we can't beat them in any final who'd want to lose in the grand final? Losing on the big day is the worst thing. And after losing a couple they are on a mission so better to knock them out before the big day.
We have to find the way to beat them, in any game.

I think there's a fair chance Zuthrie stays in maybe even for finals. He's getting better and better every week. I'd say he'll definitely be picked ahead of guys like Cunico and Ruggles and maybe ahead of Thurlow.

Zuthrie simpson and buzza out for selwood blitz and cockatoo if all three are fit for the first final is an easy call. (Thurlow is the other vulnerable one but i reckon those three go first).

If they are not fit the harder call is whether we pick buzza zuthrie simpson or stanley (or abbott) and parfitt/ruggles/lang.

I tend to think those guys offer more than the kids for a final but since lang and ruggles haven't played for ages they need to play seniors this week (the first year kids like simpson and zuthrie could use a rest this week anyway) and then we are in a better position to make a comparison.

I'm not sure how Abbott would go, is Stanley any chance? I'd be very keen to rest Smith against Mumford. It's possible Mumford could snap him in half and we need Smith for finals.
Menzel was really struggling today not sure where things are at for him atm. He's a match winner we need for finals. There wasn't a lot to get from the vfl other than Abbott played well. Lang would be a chance you'd hope he looked ready to play. Parfitt was hopefully rested and not injured.
Are any of the other injured players available?

Smith must play against Mumford. We need to toughen him up not cotton wool the guy. Smith has had mental issues with Mumford in the past and its a challenge Zac has to face as part of his progression. The team as a whole needs to get right in their faces. I'm not convinced they like rolling up their sleeves and getting down and dirty. I think the AFL's Ferrari won't be at its best "in the bush".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that's why Buzza plays even with Hawkins back.

Buzza will play (unless stanley or abbott do) as we need a 2nd ruck against mumford and lobb. Completely separate issue from whether taylor plays forward or back.

Why is everyone expecting to play GWS again in the first final if we LOSE next week? From what I can see, we will likely drop to 4th if we lose (Richmond will leap frog us if they win their last 2). So we will likely play crows.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

St Kilda flogged them last time, but yeah off to Adelaide we will be if the job is not done.

GWS should have beaten us by 10 goals based on the team we put out there last time (remember we had three debutants).

It must be said they've never put us to the sword like they have most other teams. Their sole win against us was a scrappy win in Canberra last year in which we had numerous chances to hit the front in the last 10 minutes.

Zuthrie simpson and buzza out for selwood blitz and cockatoo if all three are fit for the first final is an easy call. (Thurlow is the other vulnerable one but i reckon those three go first).

If they are not fit the harder call is whether we pick buzza zuthrie simpson or stanley (or abbott) and parfitt/ruggles/lang.

I tend to think those guys offer more than the kids for a final but since lang and ruggles haven't played for ages they need to play seniors this week (the first year kids like simpson and zuthrie could use a rest this week anyway) and then we are in a better position to make a comparison.

I'm amazed we are where we are playing 20 men. Zuthrie and Simpson are dead weights. Great experience for them but at present they are not up to it.

Yes but if we lose to Adelaide then we run into Sydney anyway which would most likely be the end of our season so would much rather stay in Melbourne and get the week off.

Sydney could easily still finish 4th, 5th or 6th, they will beat Carlton by 100+ and if Port aren't on they might just leap frog them, Tigers still a chance to lose tot he Saints. So no I don't think we should tank the game and gamble where Sydney will finish.

Yep. If we lose, travelling to Adelaide is by far the most likely outcome. Not sure why so many are convinced this game is merely about deciding whether we play GWS at home or away.

St kilda smashed richmond last time and are playing to get into finals (and send off riewoldt).

They won't be a pushover like freo were.

Would be tempted to bring Ruggles in to play on Greene and try to get under his skin while negating him. Could be handy having him rubbed out for a week if we're to meet again a fortnight later.

Have no doubt we'll win this.

GWS are like a soft cheese and travel just as well.

I'm amazed we are where we are playing 20 men. Zuthrie and Simpson are dead weights. Great experience for them but at present they are not up to it.

Playing 7 debutants this year and finishing top 4 again is a great result so far.

Look you can see glimpses of special talent in simpson and zuthrie my concern is both are consistently playing low TOG (simpson played 79 minute on the W/E and guthrie 92 and both were bottom 5 for metres gained). Understandable given zuthrie is light framed and simpson spent part of pre season on a school trip in africa but i am worried about their fitness to go the distance in finals.

Given our finals are likely to be decided in the last 10 minutes (due to our forward line inefficiency we won't be blowing any team out of the water before then but we still should be in the game thanks to our midfield) i feel them playing low minutes puts too much of a load on their teammates.

I don't necessarily rate say lang and ruggles that much but their ability fitness wise to punch out 100-110 minutes in a final serves us better i think as it means we can rotate the rest of our players more and keep them fresh.

In any case i think selwood blitz etc will replace the kids so it won't matter.

Would be tempted to bring Ruggles in to play on Greene and try to get under his skin while negating him. Could be handy having him rubbed out for a week if we're to meet again a fortnight later.

I did have that thought too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back