Preview Round 3, 2023: Hawthorn v North Melbourne, 1 April 223, 1.45pm AEDT @ York Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I struggle to grasp how people think Reeves is the issue, best tap ruckmen on our list which is why he's there this fantasy about Ruckmen need to do x is baseless. He played 35% game time on the weekend due to injury, it's no shocked when he was off the ground is when we got monstered.
He's had 6 touches 18 HO followed by 4 and 14. Albeit i thought he was better against the Swans. It's not up to scratch. No one is saying he won't make it but right now he should be learning better running patterns at VFL level. His fitness is an issue too...he isn't near AFL level which is why his stats are so low.

Why not give him a Max Gawn role at VFL level this year and send him behind the ball. At the moment the ball goes up he taps it or loses and that's pretty much all we have got from him. I like him but he isn't at the level at the moment. Has missed a lot of footy he ain't a natural he needs a solid month of footy in the bank. Problem is Lynch hasn't banged the door down which is understandable given we traded for Meek. Lynch prob sold a key role 12 months earlier now.chopped liver.

We have a few structural issues to fix

1. Our defensive structure and our team defense is weak as s*t, if the opposition have a decent tall forw they can either find a mile of space or out wrestle any of our defenders especially if Jiath or Impey find themselves on someone because ****** Frost is trying to cheap a cheapy somewhere, btw the last person you want the ball in their hands, our defensive coach has nfi

2. We are going backwards and sideways again, how have we devolved into going backwards and sideways again?

3. We're not playing on which kept us competitive last year, even though our pressure and defense went to s**t, we were I think the number 1 play on team, now we chip around, mostly backwards and sideways because they have no confidence in the game plan or each other

4. Turnover or loose poss from going backwards and putting each other under pressure

Fix these issues pronto ffs, remove thumbs out of arse because this is getting embarrassing

The bolded really sticks out for me. A lot of non-Hawthorn supporting mates last year would message me saying how fun we were to watch and looked forward to our games.

Really hope the players can find that same joy and spark they played with last year seemingly freed from a defensive game plan.

It's mental, Jiath kicks that goal against Essendon and the vibes were epic. How did we lose confidence from there so quickly? I blame that ******* random torp from Frost in the second quarter hahaha

We have a few structural issues to fix

1. Our defensive structure and our team defense is weak as s*t, if the opposition have a decent tall forw they can either find a mile of space or out wrestle any of our defenders especially if Jiath or Impey find themselves on someone because ****** Frost is trying to get a cheapy somewhere, btw the last person you want the ball in their hands is FROST, our defensive coach who has the record of most losses in the history of the game has nfi

2. We are going backwards and sideways again, how have we devolved into going backwards and sideways again? Come the fk on

3. We're not playing on which kept us competitive last year, even though our pressure and defense went to s**t, we were I think the number 1 play on team, now we chip around, mostly backwards and sideways because they have no confidence in the game plan or each other

4. Turnover or loose poss from going backwards and putting each other under pressure or just s**t kicking from the same culprits

Fix these issues pronto ffs, remove thumbs out of arse because this is getting embarrassing

I don't care who plays it's irrelevant, this team has many structural issues that no one seems to be doing anything about, 3/4 games this year so far have been terrible, get better ffs
No.3 is the one.

I feel like for a period under Clarko a player was told he had to dispose of the ball within 3 seconds of possession. It meant that the players across the ground knew this and therefore would run to make position to take possession which amounts to predictability.
I think with our strong band of runners and the talk around offence at the expense of defence we were expecting run and gun. We have seen none other than the odd occasion CJ or Ward have found themselves in space due to the pattern of the game.

I suspect we put a premium on playing on we will start to find form.

I've argued recently that CJ has the capacity to play good footy on the wing, but he's not playing good footy atm, so priorty #1 is getting him playing good footy. I think we do that by pushing him to the last line of defence and let him run at the footy.
Bloke playing on CJ will kick 10

No.3 is the one.

I feel like for a period under Clarko a player was told he had to dispose of the ball within 3 seconds of possession. It meant that the players across the ground knew this and therefore would run to make position to take possession which amounts to predictability.
I think with our strong band of runners and the talk around offence at the expense of defence we were expecting run and gun. We have seen none other than the odd occasion CJ or Ward have found themselves in space due to the pattern of the game.

A mix of playing on and going forward and pressuring our opponents would be a dream

If we had as much space and time as we give our opponents, we would look like stars, but our opponents destroy us and pressure us and force us into turnovers, teams are doing what our premiership side did to others........

Either get better with team defense or play on and go forward at any cost, both is a lot to ask for a team that doesn't know what tough football is atm.

The answer might be just play on, just go forward and get forwards who won't allow easy rebound, another issue........

A mix of playing on and going forward and pressuring our opponents would be a dream

If we had as much space and time as we give our opponents, we would look like stars, but our opponents destroy us and pressure us and force us into turnovers, teams are doing what our premiership side did to others........

Either get better with team defense or play on and go forward at any cost, both is a lot to ask for a team that doesn't know what tough football is atm.

The answer might be just play on, just go forward and get forwards who won't allow easy rebound, another issue........
I agree. I find hard to believe, but they're not fit enough. Stood out like dogs balls against Essendon. We turned the toes up. And our fwds simply couldn't go with their running defenders.

The bolded really sticks out for me. A lot of non-Hawthorn supporting mates last year would message me saying how fun we were to watch and looked forward to our games.

Really hope the players can find that same joy and spark they played with last year seemingly freed from a defensive game plan.

It's mental, Jiath kicks that goal against Essendon and the vibes were epic. How did we lose confidence from there so quickly? I blame that ******* random torp from Frost in the second quarter hahaha
Yeah, I've seen Frost do some pretty stupid s**t before but that really was on the top level side of mental.

I agree. I find hard to believe, but they're not fit enough. Stood out like dogs balls against Essendon. We turned the toes up. And our fwds simply couldn't go with their running defenders.
It is always harder to run out games when you can’t control the footy in lengthy possession chains which move it from one end to the other.

Spend too much time turning around and running back from where you came.

Sydney didn’t have to run as hard defensively because they held onto the footy longer and moved the ball offensively much more efficiently.

Hence they had more in the tank later in the game.

No.3 is the one.

I expect the wider expanses of UTAS this weekend to allow us to play faster. As we all know the smaller SCG doesn't allow it as much and the Swines strangled the bejesus out of us. Hopefully the run and gun returns.

He's had 6 touches 18 HO followed by 4 and 14. Albeit i thought he was better against the Swans. It's not up to scratch. No one is saying he won't make it but right now he should be learning better running patterns at VFL level. His fitness is an issue too...he isn't near AFL level which is why his stats are so low.

Why not give him a Max Gawn role at VFL level this year and send him behind the ball. At the moment the ball goes up he taps it or loses and that's pretty much all we have got from him. I like him but he isn't at the level at the moment. Has missed a lot of footy he ain't a natural he needs a solid month of footy in the bank. Problem is Lynch hasn't banged the door down which is understandable given we traded for Meek. Lynch prob sold a key role 12 months earlier now.chopped liver.
4 and 14 playing 35% game time, he's coming back from a season ending injury and should be given time before people wnat to dump him. He was the best ruckmen over the preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 and 14 playing 35% game time, he's coming back from a season ending injury and should be given time before people wnat to dump him. He was the best ruckmen over the preseason.
It's round 3 now not preseason.

Does the preseason include our actual preseason games? Because if so, as it should, then that's blatantly wrong.

He was terrible against Collingwood and poor against Geelong. Meek clearly played better than him and it was no contest.

It's round 3 now not preseason.

And he was obviously not the best ruckman in preseason either, so it was a pointless point anyway. Maybe he didn't watch our actual preseason games though.

Actually I take that part of that back. It is unfair to criticise him based on the Sydney game. But there is no way known he was the best ruck over preseason.

Preseason is the whole preseason not just the 2 practice matches, complex idea I know.

So training at Waverley against ourselves and not at 100% intensity > actual games of real football against an opponent.

Interesting. I suppose that tells us all we need to know.

Also, how many training sessions did you actually go to?

So training at Waverley against ourselves and not at 100% intensity > actual games of real football against an opponent.

Interesting. I suppose that tells us all we need to know.

Also, how many training sessions did you actually go to?
Since when is a pre season game an actual game with 100% intensity??

So we can't base form of players when the 3 Ruckmen were fighting for spot in the starting 22 but we can judge players when theyre injured in the first quarter and spending 70% of the time on the bench hurt and use that as proof of them being terrible.

Since when is a pre season game an actual game with 100% intensity??

So we can't base form of players when the 3 Ruckmen were fighting for spot in the starting 22 but we can judge players when theyre injured in the first quarter and spending 70% of the time on the bench hurt and use that as proof of them being terrible.

Firstly, I'm not holding the Sydney game against him. I agree that's unfair.

You said he was the best performed ruck in preseason, which is not true. You've not taken the preseason games into consideration, despite the clue being in the name ("preseason") and you must have forgotten that he was coming back from his shoulder injury and was not doing proper full-contact drills until late January.

Maybe it's just me (it's not), but I think performing in games against an actual opponent holds more weight than looking good on the training track. It's a complex idea, I know.

So what, he was the best performed ruck for the four week period between the first two months of training up until the preseason games?

Firstly, I'm not holding the Sydney game against him. I agree that's unfair.

You said he was the best performed ruck in preseason, which is not true. You've not taken the preseason games into consideration, despite the clue being in the name ("preseason") and you must have forgotten that he was coming back from his shoulder injury and was not doing proper full-contact drills until late January.

Maybe it's just me (it's not), but I think performing in games against an actual opponent holds more weight than looking good on the training track. It's a complex idea, I know.

So what, he was the best performed ruck for the four week period between the first two months of training up until the preseason games?
Reeves has been in full contact training for 10 weeks (only missing 10 days from the start of the Christmas return), when matched up on Meek and Lynch he was clearly the number one ruck during these sessions, back in by the coaches as the starting go to Ruck in contest.

Across the opening two rounds of the AFL
Reeves - 32 Hitouts from 54 ruck contest ~
Meek - 31 hitouts from 78 contest ~

I suppose you will just claim Sydney's run on from late in the second to the end of third just by chance coincided with Reeves being off the field?

Preseason is the whole preseason not just the 2 practice matches, complex idea I know.
IF you’re basing Rd 3 ruck selections on how a bloke trained in January…..

THEN your ruck division is in a bit of trouble.

If this lot get a sniff early....I fear we are going to be spanked and put to bed.

The guy that blatantly goes round whacking people and never gets reported Jack Ziebell should have a few players in his face early and let him know if you dish the whacks out expect them to come back.

Clarko will rev this guy up to intimidate the youngsters.

Just hope the ruckman and senior players sit him on his arS_ early.

This game is going to have spice.

Reeves has been in full contact training for 10 weeks (only missing 10 days from the start of the Christmas return), when matched up on Meek and Lynch he was clearly the number one ruck during these sessions, back in by the coaches as the starting go to Ruck in contest.

Across the opening two rounds of the AFL
Reeves - 32 Hitouts from 54 ruck contest ~
Meek - 31 hitouts from 78 contest ~

I suppose you will just claim Sydney's run on from late in the second to the end of third just by chance coincided with Reeves being off the field?

That's not what I saw with my own eyes, and that's not what the reports posted on here reflect either. Unless of course we all just made it up and you know better.

He was not doing proper full-contact drills until late January. Preseason games started one month later. Meek, Lynch and to a lesser extent Ramsden were doing the proper ruck work at training. Even Keegan Brooksby was chopping out in the drills and was doing low intensity work with Reeves. Go back and read the reports posted, I did.

Not sure what the posting the hitouts tally is supposed to prove? We all know winning hitouts is the one thing he can do. Everyone's criticism is based on everything else he doesnt do at this stage of his career. What else did he do against Essendon? 6 touches, 1 mark, 2 clangers, 0 tackles and a team low 4 pressure acts.

I don't even know what your last paragraph is meant to mean. Are you suggesting Reeves was keeping us in the game? Laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back