• Marlion Pickett

Votes: 16 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My changes (barring injury I'm unaware of):
Out: Ryan, Clarke, Ralphsmith, Mansell
In: Miller, Sonsie (Short if fit), Hopper, Martin

Miller offers us more at current than Ryan who has been good but still has much more development to come and plenty of time on his side.

Sonsie, we need some outside ball use to remedy Taranto and Prestia's inefficient disposal and Hopper doesn't fill me with confidence here.

Clarke unlucky and more than willing to contemplate him in the sub spot. Mansell the experiment hasn't worked in my opinion and I don't think he offers enough at AFL level.

I'd ideally bring Taz straight in for Tyler Young also if available. Young hasn't done a lot wrong, but against the Dogs height we're going to need both Miller and Taz to cover Lobb/Naughton/Darcy/JUH. Biggie also due a game soon off the back of some good football in the 2s.

This has been annoying me - I need to get it off my chest.

Yes we were soundly beaten last Friday but we were not smashed and it was not Collingwood's inaccuracy that kept the margin modest.

First qtr they scored 2 goals 6 - but if we recall, the ball was in their forward 50 for most of it with repeat entry after repeat entry - generates repeat scores.
Any goal from those 6 behinds would have taken the ball back the middle - who knows if they would immediately swept it forward and goaled again.
First half 3 goals 10 does not automatically become 10 goals 3 with accurate kicking.

Add to this they had 5 rushed behinds (not sure how many in the first qtr or half)
We had 0

We missed at least 3 gettable soda goals ourselves (Tim Lunch :'( ) and so might have been right in it at the end.
After qtr time the score line was 6 goals 9 to them, 6 goals 7 to us.

And let's not forget our 4 forced changes of key/important players from the previous week too....

YES we were beaten but IMO we are a lot closer to the mark than many think.

I feel better now :oops:
It was also a bit of the chicken or the egg argument. They missed some shots at goal, but we had some absolute howler, unpressured turnovers that led directly to shots on goal for them. Grimes hits two very simple kicks in the 1st quarter and they don’t get those two shots on goal (thankfully they missed).

In: Cumberland, Hopper, Martin
Out: Graham (Sub), Riewoldt (Rest), Mansell

Ross did enough to stay in, as did Clarke. Rest Jack before we travel to adelaide to play the swans in gather round then melbourne at the MCG whilst also giving Ryan more of a run and seeing what a more nimble forward line mix looks like

Also tempted to give Banks a debut for Ralphsmith

Sounds like Short would still be a couple of weeks away minimum.
Good chance for the likes of Clarke/HRS to show their worth.

My view on the potential changes
Out: Ross, Ryan, Mansell
In: Hopper, Dusty, Cumberland

I'd also like to see Cotch as the sub, and Sonsie to come in but feel like I'd be left disappointed if I got my hopes up around that.

Leaves us short in the ruck though.
I honestly don't know.

I'd also like to see Cotch as the sub, and Sonsie to come in but feel like I'd be left disappointed if I got my hopes up around that.

I honestly don't know.
Short term in usually 2 weeks max.

I honestly don't know.
Opens the door for Sonsie potentially as well
Short still been playing a fair bit of time as an outside mid this year so could bring him in given we seemed to be missing that type of player on the weekend

this my concern as well in lifting the cup,how many of our players are regarded as elite nowadays ? i can think of maybe 4 @ the moment,is that a fair call?
hstory shows u need at least 6 and i consider Melbourne to have as many as 8,Gawn,Petracca,Oliver,Langdon,May,Lever,Fritsch & Brayshaw,i havent incl
Pickett,Viney,Brown & Salem who was/is definitely an elite distributor before long term injury.
I was more talking about kicking elite but point taken. Melbourne are blessed with some great talent as you say, but I still think we have enough if things go right. But we need to up our kicking efficiency. Sonsie will be a player who will help that, very talented.

This will be unpopular, but I would be resting Jack this week and giving Sampson a chance to play a key role up forward whilst also giving Nank a chop out, something jack cannot do and playing all 3 does appear to make us too slow.

Sampson Deep and Lynch playing true CHF.

This looks far more dangerous and versatile if you ask me,

Dusty Sampson Rioli
Shai Lynch Cumbo

At some stage we have the to give the kids a chance to take the vets spots rather than being forced to just wait.

Clarke also looked good and he should be the sub this week IMO.

Can Sonsie play Cotchs role? Give us a little more polish outside, we have 3 genuine inside mids in addition to Cotch. (Hopper, Taranto, Prestia) - what team plays 4 inside mids? None.

Was Hugo better than KMac or Pickett? If so, then reward him. Get some players on notice FFS

Collingwood is not the benchmark tho,Melbourne is,they just embarrased the runners up by 50 points,take a look at the game if you've time,they are faaaarken smooth to say the least,n theyre w/o the most influential player in the league and the best distributor off HB in the comp atm
,when on they are the BM
No doubt - pies and demons have cleared out ahead - at the moment.

We will build through the season and barring some horrific injury bad luck, I reckon we will be pushing for top 4

This current 4 game block is pretty tough and if we split 2 and 2 we will be doing well.

Pies - red hot close losers in last years prelim
Dogs - probably the easiest of the 4 but still a real challenge
Swans - away - last years grand finalists
& Demons - IMO premiership favourites

After 6 games we might be 2 wins, a draw and 3 losses though….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Short still not right, I wonder if it's worth giving Cotch a run off half back in place of Ralphsmith for a bit of composure back there? Frees up a spot for Sonsie in the middle too.
I doubt cotchin has the speed or kicking ability to replace Short off HB

Keep Cotch in the midfield 65%-70% game time

Little bit worried...

Caesar at PRE said Cumberland, Graham and Short were in rehab/management, and Prestia checked out early after speaking to the conditioning guys.

Dusty and Hopper trained, but would be s**t to regain them but not have possibly all four of the above.

Can anyone remember when the last time was that we had our best 22 together? Seems like we've copped an injury every week since 2019.

Anyway, hopefully nothing to worry about. Anyone got any goss?

We havent since 2017. We have the worst S&C team in the comp and theres daylight to second worst.

Think Dimma deserves a bit of a roast regarding our game plan. I know it was wet but our down the line kicking to the same spot, wide and to the wings was just easy pickings for the opposition. No risk factor at all. Did we switch the ball once to the fat side all game, if we did I missed it.

Our field kicking is below average. We don't have many very good or elite kicks in our side. Vlastuin, Martin, Baker, Riewoldt and D. Rioli is about it. Sonsie will be but when you have a side of average kicks it makes it very hard to take a punt and kick to the centre of the ground or switch it around. Collingwood did it and hit targets all night rain or dry. So we kick it straight up the line, especially in the wet.

Is that Dimma's doing, playing it safe, percentage boring football or did the players just clam up. Even Vlastuin was giving it away.

They spread harder than us. We were also too tall.

We couldn’t get to the outside and we couldn’t find any easy kicks. While Collingwood had all the outside space so they only needed to get it half right to still be a good kick.

Us on the other hand we’re working inside their zone needing to hit chests or we’d lose the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been annoying me - I need to get it off my chest.

Yes we were soundly beaten last Friday but we were not smashed and it was not Collingwood's inaccuracy that kept the margin modest.

First qtr they scored 2 goals 6 - but if we recall, the ball was in their forward 50 for most of it with repeat entry after repeat entry - generates repeat scores.
Any goal from those 6 behinds would have taken the ball back the middle - who knows if they would immediately swept it forward and goaled again.
First half 3 goals 10 does not automatically become 10 goals 3 with accurate kicking.

Add to this they had 5 rushed behinds (not sure how many in the first qtr or half)
We had 0

We missed at least 3 gettable soda goals ourselves (Tim Lunch :'( ) and so might have been right in it at the end.
After qtr time the score line was 6 goals 9 to them, 6 goals 7 to us.

And let's not forget our 4 forced changes of key/important players from the previous week too....

YES we were beaten but IMO we are a lot closer to the mark than many think.

I feel better now :oops:

We blew away at least 6 easy goals. At least. Any other day we kick them all.

My changes (barring injury I'm unaware of):
Out: Ryan, Clarke, Ralphsmith, Mansell
In: Miller, Sonsie (Short if fit), Hopper, Martin

Miller offers us more at current than Ryan who has been good but still has much more development to come and plenty of time on his side.

Sonsie, we need some outside ball use to remedy Taranto and Prestia's inefficient disposal and Hopper doesn't fill me with confidence here.

Clarke unlucky and more than willing to contemplate him in the sub spot. Mansell the experiment hasn't worked in my opinion and I don't think he offers enough at AFL level.

I'd ideally bring Taz straight in for Tyler Young also if available. Young hasn't done a lot wrong, but against the Dogs height we're going to need both Miller and Taz to cover Lobb/Naughton/Darcy/JUH. Biggie also due a game soon off the back of some good football in the 2s.

I can’t see Darcy getting a recall. He was pretty lost in the first two games.

Reckon with Lobb and English Samson Ryan will be needed. Gotta make one of them accountable and they are both threats when they go fwd. To big an ask for Nankervis alone.

Imo you could realistically make a case to drop about 11 players. yes Grimes and Riewoldt are two.

Reckon Sonsie Hopper, Martin, and Possibly miller all to come back in with Cumberland starting.

Would like to see Mansell go back to defense and failing that Play McIntosh there for broad.

If McIntosh went back it would allow us to play one of Clarke or Ralphsmith on the wing and not just dump both after one game.

The club had talked up how fit and ready to go Martin was before a ball was bounced. Just start him in the midfield where he belongs and play him there for most of the game. That allows Sonsie to play along with Cumberland in the fwd half and Start Bolton there as well.

The two So called pressure fwds in Mansell and MRJ have hardly touched the ball hardly laid a tackle and are not kicking goals. Opposition is simply ignoring them knowing in all likely hood they wont get hurt.

Miller for Young reckon hes a better defender atm. If something goes wrong he offers flexability as well.

Something like this for me would be okay with two spots to be decided.

Vlastuin - Miller - Grimes
McIntosh - Balta - Rioli

Pickett - Martin - Ralphsmith/Clarke
Nankervis - Taranto - Prestia

Sonsie - Riewoldt - Cumberland
Bolton - Lynch - Ryan

Hopper - Cotchin - Baker - ?????

?????

They spread harder than us. We were also too tall.

We couldn’t get to the outside and we couldn’t find any easy kicks. While Collingwood had all the outside space so they only needed to get it half right to still be a good kick.

Us on the other hand we’re working inside their zone needing to hit chests or we’d lose the ball.

We worked inside their zone and we couldn't get any spread on the outside because we didn't work the ball around. Not once did we switch, not once did we kick to the left hand side of the ground after a point. Pretty easy to defend, mark your man and anticipate where the ball was going to go if you do the same thing all the time.

We tried some short dry weather passes that were chopped off, but not once did we get Balta to launch it over the centre of the ground kicking out from full back. Not once did Vlastuin kicking out from full back kick to the fat side, even when we were the widest and on our own. It was played to a game plan which was very predictable.

Little bit worried...

Caesar at PRE said Cumberland, Graham and Short were in rehab/management, and Prestia checked out early after speaking to the conditioning guys.

Dusty and Hopper trained, but would be s**t to regain them but not have possibly all four of the above.

Can anyone remember when the last time was that we had our best 22 together? Seems like we've copped an injury every week since 2019.

List getting old

Not bad considering our sputtering start. Grimes not in top form, debuting a key back in Young and Broad missing a game. Baker, Vlaus and Rioli playing solid and Balta having a breakout start to the season. Things are never quite as bad as they seem. The Collingwood game could and maybe should have been a blowout but we contained it and could even have stolen it. Good showings over the next two weeks could set up our season and allow us to give our +200 gamers a rest.

Little bit worried...

That might explain why Graham was so down on the weekend. Rumours were that Short would miss two or three weeks (I think Dimma was either wishful thinking or playing ducks and drakes at his presser). Prestia would probably have tightness so why train get a massage and if Cumbo picked up something it might explain him being high impact for a quarter then tailing off.

Last edited:
Back